Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2014, 05:51:44 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Greg Weissman's animated Stargate series proposal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greg Weissman's animated Stargate series proposal  (Read 140 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »

http://s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=17076

The Animated Stargate: The Hunted should make use of what animation does best. We should open up the scope of what we're creating. It's as easy (and cost-effective) to paint a truly otherworldly background, as it is to draw one that looks like it could be found somewhere near Vancouver. So we want weird environments: underground cities, water worlds, cloud deserts or whatever. It's also as easy to design a truly alien alien as it is to draw one whose look could be achieved by a human wearing great make-up. We want inhuman aliens (although not so weird that they're unrelatable to our audience, unless that's the point of a specific story). Similarly, new alien technology should be shocking and stunning

There are some interesting -- and truly terrible -- ideas within, but the entire basis of the series seems to fly directly in the face of how SG-1 -- the version of the franchise upon which the series would have been based -- established the structure of the gate network

RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »

http://s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=17076

The Animated Stargate: The Hunted should make use of what animation does best. We should open up the scope of what we're creating. It's as easy (and cost-effective) to paint a truly otherworldly background, as it is to draw one that looks like it could be found somewhere near Vancouver. So we want weird environments: underground cities, water worlds, cloud deserts or whatever. It's also as easy to design a truly alien alien as it is to draw one whose look could be achieved by a human wearing great make-up. We want inhuman aliens (although not so weird that they're unrelatable to our audience, unless that's the point of a specific story). Similarly, new alien technology should be shocking and stunning

There are some interesting -- and truly terrible -- ideas within, but the entire basis of the series seems to fly directly in the face of how SG-1 -- the version of the franchise upon which the series would have been based -- established the structure of the gate network

The irregularities with SG-1 canon can probably be attributed to the still evolving universe that was the first few seasons of the show.

That said, the major hurdle that I can see for a show like this is the fact that it would be Western Animation.  I'll admit that I haven't been entirely on top of the current available shows, but I can almost guarantee that it'll be one of two types: kid-friendly or excessively "adult".  No middle ground, which I think is where a setting like Stargate is best, around the area that the live-action show was at.

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:49:15 PM »

Gargoyles, Young Justice, The Clone Wars, and the entirity of the DCAU for a start argue otherwise.

And there was no confusion in the early years: the first ep clearly established each gate uses the same 38 destination glyphs, and that a single gate could dial all other gates, as a result there's a single universal address for Earth that the rest of the galaxy had essentially forgotten following the revolution that closed the gate.

That said, I actually prefer the interconnecting network model, as well as each gate having unique glyphs because every planet has it's own unique constellations to form addresses for. It basically allows for trade routes and quest hubs, and as the basis for a RPG campaign setting that's exactly how I'd go with it.

I understand exactly why SG1 grossly simplified the way it works -- it just isn't feasible to continually send teams to worlds they have an absolutely minimal guarantee of being able to dial home from (having 2-way wormholes would admittedly make that less of an issue). And dramatically you just don't have the time in a 42 minute episode to have the team constantly trying to find the return address.

That said, universal addresses still works with the idea of interconnecting networks as the basis of a weekly action show, because once you start hitting mytharc episodes, discovering new routes and capturing/holding key hubs becomes important and feasible plot and continuity points.

RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »

Gargoyles, Young Justice, The Clone Wars, and the entirity of the DCAU for a start argue otherwise.

Oh sure, they can still be good, but it doesn't change the whole "cartoons are for kids" stigma being a hurdle.  Some get around it, some strain against it, others... take the more extreme measure and over-compensate by packing their cartoon with "mature" content, to the point, ironically, of immaturity.
You can sort of see the seams of what I mean in that bible.  For instance, the main character will get his hand on a "big old plasma cannon".  And if I'm willing to guess, it will look nothing like a real gun, it won't actually kill people, and the "real" guns that you would expect won't show up much, if ever.  Admittedly, Gargoyles was one of the better examples of how to handle these rules in a cartoon (Deadly Force and its long-term effects being the quintessential example), so I might also be wrong about that.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if they came out with a cartoon of Stargate, I'd wish they'd take a GI Joe: Resolute approach.  Willing to kill, willing to use blood, willing to use actual guns, but not trying to revel in the bloodshed or its mature content.  Like live action Stargate.

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: