Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 10:33:09 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  That [i]thing[/i] in your head.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: That [i]thing[/i] in your head.  (Read 376 times)
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:19:31 AM »

This thread's for personal obsessiveness.

There's a character in a Warhammer 40,000 novel called The Chapter's Due named Kaarja Salombar.
She's very minor. She's mostly remarkable not making sense in the setting, and for having kind of a pathetic death.
But....she's in my head because I will probably never understand her pointless paradoxes.

Forty-K likes to flash it's Grimdark credentials by conjuring up some thing unique and/or beautiful and then promptly destroying/desecrating it. Kaarja is very much of this grand tradition. But she's special in making no goddamn sense at all. She might be Half-Eldar -which is impossible. She might be a Chosen or a Champion or a Cultist, but if she is she's also unique in being one of the least marked ever. She, and this makes me brain burn, has no written dialogue in the entire story. She does things, she communicates and others take meaning, but she never does so in the active voice.
I swear that this must be a code, this must mean something in the language of literature. You have a character. You put them into the story. They act, react, and have appearances. They do things. But they don't speak, and there's nothing that suggests that they are in fact mute. Kaarja's in the final act, her last scene is the not-really-suspenseful climax of the story.
Why?
What does it mean? If I did that in a story, and I can't really conceive of doing so, it would be because whatever the character could say would either be so trivial as to be meaningless or it would be because s/he isn't capable of communicating anything of meaning.
Like trying to get Cthulu to recite the Gettysburg Address. He can't understand the squiggles on the paper, and I can't understand what the sounds he makes are supposed to mean. It would just be white noise of a mind-shattering volume.
And I'm pretty sure that's not the case here, so the conclusion I return to is that her non-speaking is done to highlight her lack of dialogue.
And what the **** does that mean?

I know this fixation means nothing. Just about everything does. But this. This defies me. I want this to go away. And thusly this thread.
A place for all the things that you can't leave behind.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:42:52 AM »

A place for all the things that you can't leave behind.

Dear lordy, man.  You sure you want to open this can of worms?  On somewhere that anybody could look at?

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »

I guess I'm confused. What?

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »

I think he's getting at the idea that sharing the things that bother you might provide a window into your life that some people don't want opened.

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 01:13:08 AM »

I think he's getting at the idea that sharing the things that bother you might provide a window into your life that some people don't want opened.

Ahhhh.
More a TMI flavor issue.

Edit: The "no dialogue" thing still bugs me. I can't see it as anything but deliberate given that less important, both in terms of narrative and of presentation, characters get speaking lines not directly related to plot advancement.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:24:13 AM by Valentina » Logged

tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »

Nah, I get it. People have that occasional pea that gets between the mattresses and just won't let 'em sleep.

I had a couple last year that threw me for loops. Whose shoes were those, and how did they wind up in my laptop bag? And she knew I was going to tie her wrists to the eyebolt in the ceiling; why would she think I'd be bothered that her armpits weren't waxed?

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

I'd tell an ebola joke here, BUT YOU WON'T GET IT.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:27:51 AM »

Ever find a remote control in the street, pick it up, and start pushing buttons to see if anything reacts?

RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »

Ever find a remote control in the street, pick it up, and start pushing buttons to see if anything reacts?

No, but I do tap the screws on the lightswitch whenever I leave or enter a room.  Usually just in my own house, of course, since I have their positions memorized.

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 06:29:46 PM »

And she knew I was going to tie her wrists to the eyebolt in the ceiling; why would she think I'd be bothered that her armpits weren't waxed?

If ever feeling serial killer-ish, please see your doctor.

Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »

Valentina, it seems that you have been infected by the Lord of Change. The Ordo Hereticus has been dispatched to your location. Please stand by for a cleansing.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 08:03:12 PM »

Come at me, bro-quisitors. Cool

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: