Author Topic: Movie Reviews, Reactions, and Rumors 2016.  (Read 16744 times)

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Reviews, Reactions, and Rumors 2016.
« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »
Independence Day: Resurgence | Official Trailer 2

One thing that bugs me: Why are the ground troopers wearing Kevlar vests?  Well, that and the rifles look funky, but everyone seems to have that issue these days.

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 22, 2016, 09:08:50 PM »
  Just got in from The Huntsman: Winter's War.

I guess I kind a needed to end the streak. Jungle book exceeded expectations. Criminal exceeded expectations (by a lot). Winter's War was almost exactly what I expected, which was fun. Burst out laughing twice fun (off the same joke, because they called it correctly it was funny enough to tell twice), but mostly an absolutely ordinary B-grade fantasy movie. I wish I'd waited for a Saturday matinee because that would have really completed the traditional nature of the fare not because cheaper would be better but because coming out of the theater into a sunny afternoon would just fit. Some nice scenery digital and practical, one twist I didn't see coming and greatly appreciated, light comic relief from dwarves, and swordplay swordplay swordplay (only replace half those swords with hatchets and half of what's left with long knives).

I'm glad it didn't take itself overly seriously and I'm strangely glad Chris Helmsworth was equal parts charming and smug. He knows full well he's the hero of the last movie and probably the hero of this movie too, destined to pretty much beat down anything the plot heaves into his path. It gives him a well earned nonchalance as he pounds mooks, minions, and full scale mid-bosses into the ground. And lots of fully justified girl power in this flic with the Huntsman's opposite number and two world-striding witches.

So no spoilers, no rants to hide until after you've seen it. Just a couple hours of the visual equivalent of sword & sorcery comfort food. Now to cook some actual food :).
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2016, 01:17:55 AM »
SNOWDEN - Official Trailer

Aaaaand now we're all on the FBI watchlist.  Then again, considering the forum, we might be there already. ;)

foproy

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2016, 01:26:18 AM »
SNOWDEN - Official Trailer

Aaaaand now we're all on the FBI watchlist.  Then again, considering the forum, we might be there already. ;)

I'm probably on several watch list long before that. Control usually handles them.
Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous

Aldus Vertten

• Handler
  • Los Otros Planes
    • View Profile
    • Guia del Freeky Galactico (Geek Guide to the Galaxy)
« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2016, 09:54:47 AM »
Saw Civil War yesterday... Great movie!

Spoiler: Just a few comments • show
It's curious how many beats in the plot are so similar to BvsS, but way better executed... Basically a Villain it's trying to make them fight each other, but here the reasons for that to happen makes sense, the characters are loyal to what makes them them, and at least one of them is able to see that they're being manipulated...

And of course, the "mother" factor, taking a quite opposite turn... I loved how they played us with that reveal... which was in front of the audience the whole time... Great moment when you realize what's going on... just a second before the characters...
"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste