Author Topic: Idiot Box: TV 2017  (Read 2404 times)

Desertpuma

• Control
  • Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
Re: Idiot Box: TV 2017
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 05:56:22 AM »
After a couple of episodes I think I've figured out The Orville's schtick.

It's a Star Trek roleplaying game, but the players aren't taking it 100% seriously. Plenty of pop culture references, banter, and casual attitude that feels out of place for 'proper' Star Trek. It's a little discombobulating, but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough.

Gotta admit I was skeptical about watching it just because Seth McFarland has been hit or miss with me

LSpy Mastermind

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2017, 01:40:52 AM »
The Punisher Official Netflix Trailer

Ok, I'll admit that I haven't been watching Marvel anything for the last year or so.  But this might be right up my alley, if only because I was a one-time Punisher fan, as so much as I got both the video game and movie kicking around here somewhere.

Though I'm rolling my eyes a bit at the whole "military conspiracy" angle, particularly since, as a Marvel franchise, tactical soldiers are about as effective as cut-out targets at a carnival shooting gallery.  Heck, one could say one of the draws Castle has is that he's the one Marine in the whole multiverse that is effective while using his military training.  No fancy gadgets, no superhuman abilities, just a well-trained man, a bunch of guns, and a willingness to use 'em.

Desertpuma

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2017, 05:02:16 AM »
You should look up Daredevil Season 2 on NetFlix because the success and draw of Jon Berenthal's performance of the Punisher there is what lead to the series going forward.

Or you could look on youtube for "Punisher Prison Fight" or "Punisher Deli Fight". Because it is on NetFlix, they do not skimp on the violence

LSpy Mastermind

Agent 333

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »
...one could say one of the draws Castle has is that he's the one Marine in the whole multiverse that is effective while using his military training.  No fancy gadgets, no superhuman abilities, just a well-trained man, a bunch of guns, and a willingness to use 'em.

While watching the Punisher do his thing in Daredevil Season 2 I remarked to myself how Frank Castle is much more of a super Soldier than Captain America ever was. Yes, Captain America is certainly more super human, but Frank's 'power' is basically to be better at Soldiering than everyone else.
When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.

Desertpuma

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
...one could say one of the draws Castle has is that he's the one Marine in the whole multiverse that is effective while using his military training.  No fancy gadgets, no superhuman abilities, just a well-trained man, a bunch of guns, and a willingness to use 'em.

While watching the Punisher do his thing in Daredevil Season 2 I remarked to myself how Frank Castle is much more of a super Soldier than Captain America ever was. Yes, Captain America is certainly more super human, but Frank's 'power' is basically to be better at Soldiering than everyone else.

I think the more key difference is that Capt America is willing to just knock people out or down and then make sure they are restrained but he will kill in a war. With the Punisher, criminals are criminals and deserve to be punished, especially crooked cops. He does not believe the gloves should ever have been put on and there is no reason for restraint.

LSpy Mastermind

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2017, 07:55:08 AM »
I think the more key difference is that Capt America is willing to just knock people out or down and then make sure they are restrained but he will kill in a war.

That, and there's that whole shield throwing thing.  As has been pointed out before, for some reason in superhero stories "actually being effective with tactical gear" is considered a power.

With the Punisher, criminals are criminals and deserve to be punished, especially crooked cops. He does not believe the gloves should ever have been put on and there is no reason for restraint.

Not entirely true, since the Punisher does give some people a chance.  One comic had him let a guy that was at a buy go because they hadn't actually gotten anything, albeit with a verbal warning and saying "get a haircut, hippy."  Castle only then killed the guy when he called up a friend and told him to get over there to take all the now-abandoned merchandise.

Then again there was that time a former dealer helped Castle gun down a gang that was holding the dealer hostage, and afterward the dealer is going on and on about how he was going to turn over a new leaf.  Castle then thinks "probably shouldn't risk it," and shoots the dealer.

He's just really really violent in the more morally squeaky clean universe, is what I'm saying.
At the very least, we should be glad they didn't adapt the manga version.  Who's a geisha that spanks people.  I am being serious.
Did I mention I was a fan once?

Desertpuma

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »
That Manga version .. ouch ...

Castle did actually try to bribe some cops to let him go once and told them where he had stashed some of his war chest. They get to the storage shed and he gives them the code then stands off to the side. They rip it open only to get gunned down by internal tripwire attached to a .50 cal machinegun. Castle's response: "Probably should have told you about raising it up more than a foot but then you got what you deserved."

LSpy Mastermind

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 12:10:28 PM »

Mister Andersen 2.0

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/doctor-who-costume-jodie-whittaker-references-13th-doctor

So, what do folks think of the Doctor's new outfit? I'm personally on the "what were they thinking?!" side, especially with the pants -- and I say that as someone who liked the 6th Doctor's riotous getup

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2017, 05:39:14 AM »
**Shrug**  It doesn't seem notably ridiculous, but does seem to continue the travesty of ladies' trousers lacking pockets.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Wolverine

• Control
  • I want to smoke a fairy
    • View Profile
    • Geek-Life Balance (my personal blog)
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »
I want to see the outfit in action, but personally I'm just happy it's not just another suit.
"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »
Reviews for Netflix's The Punisher are trickling in, and the general consensus seems to be "top tier Marvel series", with positives being how this isn't "watered down" Punisher action, and Jon Bernthal getting acclaim for really nailing the character.

Makes me really wish I could update my Netflix, but Christmas tradition won't allow it.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »
Looking at all the reviews for the Punisher, though, makes me realize that one of the reasons it's rating so well, when, as one reviewer pointed out, it's taken them so long to get the formula just right, is a perfect storm of other factors:

1.) John Wick, the modern example for dark anti-hero gunslingers, establishing the visuals that they can use.
2.) Deadpool, showing that a comic book hero can get away with going "full adult", allowing for rather serious dark material, including bloody violence.
3.) Four (and a half) other series, helping the producers identify what works and what doesn't in a streaming service formula.  Almost makes you think they did this on purpose. ;)
4.) While the modern War on Terror is a different beast than the Vietnam War, updating Castle's background seems well-timed when dealing with the idea of veterans returning home.  One of the main driving forces for Jon Bernthal's portrayal is how the military community really connects with the Punisher on some level, particularly on the subject of reconnecting with civilian life.

And this one is probably more my interpretation than an actual thing:
5.) An overused indulgence in portraying anyone with proper modern military training as nothing more than fodder, at least in the comic book superhero sphere, which has left a bit of a vacuum, one that the Punisher has filled for decades previous, and more than fits in today.  AKA, Frank's superhero power is "Super Soldiering Abilities".

So really, it would have been even more disappointing if they screwed this up.  That they seem to have actually succeeded is even more of a bonus.