Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 02, 2015, 02:08:34 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Nations. In. SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nations. In. SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE  (Read 197 times)
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2015, 05:38:43 PM »

So, Stars and Stripes Raynor's flavor text reads as thus:

While the United States Space Force successfully rescued their colonists from the Koprulu sector, Colonel James Raynor couldn't shake the feeling those monsters would follow them to Earth.

And the general reaction is "haha, look at that guy, all covered in the American flag and everything", in a generally friendly way.  Wink wink, nudge nudge, Team America World Police reference.

The thing its, when you think about it: how many space sci-fi settings do you know where a modern nation is a major driving force in general.  Sure, we have multinational collectives, we have expies with the serial numbers barely scratched off, and we have complete replacements.  But how many can you name off the top of your head that has America, Great Britain, Russia (in whatever form), China, etc. still going on about their independent business, only the business has spread out into outer space?

I'm willing to bet you can only use one hand to count: Aliens (United States Colonial Authority), a tabletop game based on Aliens... and I'm blanking at the moment.  Civ: BE's factions are close, since they are still regional, but they are also multinational. Halo's UNSC and Mass Effect's Alliance has the nations essentially turn over all control to this overarching collective, so they don't count.

I mean, sure, it would make sense that once humanity reaches the stars, the world will be different than it is today.  However, one thing people forget is that, while Great Britain is not nearly as powerful as it was 200 years ago, it still exists, and is still a player in the global arena.  And sure, it will probably be better for nations to pool their resources if we hope to make it to the stars, but it is possible for us to go there while still maintaining our current national identities.  Might not be likely, but its possible.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:12:45 PM »

• (Aeon) Trinity (RPG, where the conveniently splat-aligned nationstates/political unions are quite eager to establish their extrasolar territories)
  • Iron Skies (movie series with literal space nazis)
  • Stargate (borderline, but nationstate politics become a recurring factor once the secret of the gate leaked to Russia & the UN, and I seem to recall the Russians at one stage managed an Alpha Site of their own)
  • 2010 (The Soviets & US are in a race against the Chinese to reach Jupiter to claim the secrets of Discovery and the Monolith)

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »

GURPS Transhuman Space still has our existing nation states in conflict in space.
BESM (and BESM d20)'s Centauri Knights has the UN represented, but the units making it up are distinctly American, British, etc. It also has a weird description of how military AIs (who have rights equivalent to meat people) 'enlist'.
2300 AD has the French Empire, the United Kingdom, Manchuria, Germany, and an alliance of Australia and the reduced United States of America.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 12:37:44 AM »

Should be I be ashamed that the first thing that came to mind was G GundamEmbarrassed

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 12:41:43 AM »

Yes.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 10:00:23 PM »

Ok, so that's 10.  Technically two hands, but we haven't moved on to toes yet.  Any others?

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 08:14:57 AM »

Jerry Pournelle's long running CoDominium setting features recognizable modern nations still playing at politics even centuries after the USA/USSR alliance has deported massive quantities of Earth's surplus population out to extra-solar colonies.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »

StarLancer by Digital Anvil.  (flight sim similar to Wing Commander)   Not seperate nations but two collations of west (us, uk, etc..) vs east (russia,china,middle east).

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 08:02:27 PM »

StarLancer by Digital Anvil.  (flight sim similar to Wing Commander)   Not seperate nations but two collations of west (us, uk, etc..) vs east (russia,china,middle east).

Ah ah ah, no collations.  Alliances between nations, sure, but they need to be generally independent of each other.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 08:04:49 PM »

Because NATO isn't a real thing now?

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »

Because the "EU army" is non-existent.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 11:21:33 PM »

Because the "EU army" is non-existent.

That.  Sure, having nations have alliances like NATO is fine, but not settings where NATO has essentially replaced all force of world governance.  It's sort of like how GDI basically became "the government" in Command & Conquer, despite initially being a NATO expy.  The ones I'm looking for would be something like Command & Conquer Generals, where the US and China are independent bodies, with only the GLA being a collective (because of nation sensitivity).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: