Author Topic: Computer Gaming 2017  (Read 1685 times)

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Gaming 2017
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2017, 04:00:23 AM »
Stellaris recently released their new Utopia expansion (and Banks update for those that don't want to pay money).  Aside from the new Utopian endgoals of Psionics, Genetics, and Cybernetics, there's also a major rework on how government works, with a much more customizable way of creating your space culture.

Small update now that the wiki is, well, updated.  One of the neater additions is a name for your Government Type depending on your choices.  It has zero effect on gameplay, but is a nice little Role Playing seed to build off from should you decide to not just name things manually.  So yes, you can be a straight up Citizen Republic from Starship Troopers, or a Divine Empire from WH40k.

Hrm, from the looks of it, though, if I were to do the one I listed in that post, then the government becomes a Military Commissariat: "This government is nominally democratic, with the dividing line between the civil administration and the military having blurred to the point where they have largely become one and the same. "
...and the only real life example that I can find using that name is the Soviet Union.
And if I were to add Warrior Culture, then the government turns into an Assembly of Clans, which sounds like something from Klingon.

...I might need to re-think things. :-\

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2017, 04:50:39 PM »
Hooooo, just did some research into the CoD concept post I did.  For some reason, the Aaron Beck name was tickling the back of my brain, so I decided to dig.  Sure enough, this guy is also the same guy behind many of the designs in Elysium.  No wonder I was getting Neil Blonkampian vibes!

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:48 PM »
...I might need to re-think things. :-\

After a few days consideration, I think I can live with my idea of the UISA being called a "Military Commissariat", since we can manually name our leader's title ourselves (the one in system is just the default).  And really, part of the point of these guys is that they are a mixed flavor Eagleland, desperately trying to be Type 1, but humorously not noticing the rather blatant Type 2 tendencies they've adopted.  So sure, they will insist that they are a Representative Democracy with a healthy military budget, and yet they are run by Senate High Command (a Section 8 reference.  Yes, I am that into Space Marine fiction) and a Commander President.  Not a General President, because that sounds weird and there's already a General he serves: the General Public ;).

I mean, isn't that always the case about most science-fiction?  We, deep down, want to be a happy Star Trek Federation (which the UNE is supposed to represent), and yet the story will inevitably deal with warfare at some point.  And yet, and yet, we universally agree that a heavily militarized dictatorship is A Bad Thing.  Bad enough that we seem to be in an endless war against it.  Thing is, all that fighting?  All that... practice?  Is going to have an effect on a society, such as engraving a belief that in order to maintain this happy friendly life, we are going to need to fight for it.  Do it too much, and we might feel the need to do the fighting for other people, too.  One thing leads to another, and all of a sudden they are building Call of Duty holographic combat sports stadiums on every planet ('cept Mars, that's the Doom Arena), treating our troops like professional wrestlers/football players, and broadcasting our wars like the ultimate all-star game.
(Actually, that doesn't sound so bad.  8))

So yeah, if I ever get off my wallet, and wrench it open enough to purchase Stellaris,  I'm probably going to take the UNE, change Xenophilic to Militarist, change the look to something more American looking, write a little blurb about how America had to take over after the world fell apart, then go around liberating the hell out of the universe.  And considering how the Shroud is basically the Warp, liberate the universe out of hell. ;)