Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 31, 2015, 12:42:59 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Off to a Land Down Under...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Off to a Land Down Under...  (Read 198 times)
jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2014, 02:01:16 AM »

Hello fellow forumites,

Though I know this will only apply to a few on these boards I was wondering if I could enlist the collective wisdom as I depart on my next big adventure. The thing is that this (hopefully not) whinging Pom is leaving his native land of Yorkshire, and moving halfway around the world to the great city of Melbourne.
As I am into all things geek and gaming, I was hoping to ease the transition by continuing my hobbies on arrival and meet a few people whilst doing it. So.. does anyone have any suggestions or local knowledge of the gaming scene in Melbourne? Be it a FLGS, or gaming clubs (tabletop/wargaming/RPGs) or anything else geek culture??

Also are there any purchases I really should make before I go, either due to rarity, or because shipping's a bitch?

Many thanks!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »

Note that I'm a Sydneysider who's only spent a day in enemy territory Melbourne. Basically because of what we refer to as the 'Australia Tax', whereby prices are often inflated well above the additional cost of import, virtually everything will be relatively more expensive, but your having  access to savings in pounds which are usually 2:1 to the aussie dollar most times means you're comparatively rich. Also, all your media runs on exactly the same formats -- yay PAL and region 2/4 interchangability.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:12:22 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:20:51 AM »

I'm in Melbourne. Neck deep in work ATM but contact me when you arrive.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:51:17 AM »

Note that I'm a Sydneysider who's only spent a day in enemy territory Melbourne. Basically because of what we refer to as the 'Australia Tax', whereby prices are often inflated well above the additional cost of import, virtually everything will be relatively more expensive, but your having  access to savings in pounds which are usually 2:1 to the aussie dollar most times means you're comparatively rich. Also, all your media runs on exactly the same formats -- yay PAL and region 2/4 interchangability.

Many thanks for the information, I'd seen a couple of the links already but it's always nice to have more. I certainly will be trying to get as much in the shipping container before I set off!

I'm in Melbourne. Neck deep in work ATM but contact me when you arrive.

Thanks Catodon, I'll be arriving late on the 18th, with I'm guessing sketchy access to the internet for a bit, but if you're free and fancy a game of, well anything, sometime then I'm up for it! I'll PM you when I hit the southern 'sphere.
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »

Noted on my calendar.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: