Author Topic: Life, the World, and Everything in 2016 (general world news & social issues)  (Read 13785 times)

jarvvoitlus

• Agent
    • View Profile
Basic income is a good idea on paper and might become viable as more and more is automated, but I don't see it working with EU-style "let's see how many third-worlders we can cram into our countries".

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Well, they definitively have been running an austerity program since 2010. Maybe, just maybe, austerity isn't a magical economic cure-all after all?
It looks like they didn't cut overall spending and designed their cuts for the least "bang for the buck" while also not unscrewing the tax code.  That is sort of a textbook "how to do it wrong."   :(
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Desertpuma

• Control
  • Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
Krensky, I never inferred anything racially related with what I said.

So let's hear your plan to fix the welfare state and get people out of poverty.

Living Spycraft Masterm

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile

And the actual TANF caps and prerequisites? Are they unfair?

Desertpuma

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel

I don't think they are unreasonable but they are also only part of the solution.

Living Spycraft Masterm

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Basic income is a good idea on paper and might become viable as more and more is automated, but I don't see it working with EU-style "let's see how many third-worlders we can cram into our countries".
I like it as a means to simplify our help systems, unscrew a whole mess of perverse incentives, fire a whole mess of bureaucrats.

Is it xenophobic to think that most social services should be restricted to citizens?  (Holy moley is the US immigration process -ed up.)
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

jarvvoitlus

• Agent
    • View Profile
It's not xenophobic, it's nationalist and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. After all, nothing is stopping people of other nations from doing the same.

Desertpuma

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
It's not xenophobic, it's nationalist and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. After all, nothing is stopping people of other nations from doing the same.

I'm in absolute agreement.

Living Spycraft Masterm

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile

I don't think they are unreasonable but they are also only part of the solution.

Despite all evidence that they increase poverty and worsen outcomes...

That's the sort of cruel heartlessness I expect from your typical American "libertarian"
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky