Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 10:25:07 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Scoundrel (Base Class)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scoundrel (Base Class)  (Read 1005 times)
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »

This is the second base class that I made recently. Yeah, I don't have the class writeup done, but I think we all know what a scoundrel is supposed to do. Astute readers will also see that some of this class's abilities are lifted wholesale from the Maverick class by Khaalis - ( http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=4145.0 ) - which has a heavy old west gambler feel to it, and didn't fit what I needed.  This version can also fit right in with it's D20 Star Wars namesake if needed, too.

Link goes to my PDF post (This is how I'm gonna do "final version PDFs" from now on. That way, users can always find the most up to date and finalized version of a class's PDF and not have dead links when I clean up my Google Drive.

http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6677.msg118698#msg118698

SCOUNDREL (BASE)
Most problems in life can be dealt with by either a glib tongue or split second reflexes. The scoundrel has utmost confidence in both of those attributes, and therefore can’t seem to live without taking what others would call unnecessary risks. Still the scoundrel excels at being likable, and can pull his fat out of the fire with frightening regularity. Luckily, he’s almost as adept at pulling his friends out too, making sure that everybody comes home alive. After all, what’s the point of living, if you can’t live by your wits?

Depending on your campaign, a Scoundrel could be...
•   A charming con-man, quick with a smile and a get-rich-quick scheme while being as slippery as the snake-oil he sells.
•   A dashing rogue, the very archetype of ‘women want him and men want to be him’.
•   A skillful card sharp, traveling from place to place and making his fortune at each stop.
•   A knowledgeable information broker, dealing in society’s secrets as others do more mundane goods.
•   A captain of his own ship, living by his wits and trying to stay one step ahead of his creditors.

Party Role: Talker. The scoundrel deals in lies primarily, but can excel in all manner of character interaction.

CLASS FEATURES
Favored Attributes: Charisma, Dexterity, Intelligence
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Haggle, Impress, Notice, Prestidigitation, Ride, Sense Motive, Tactics
Skill Points: 6 + Int mod per Level
Vitality: 9 + Con mod per Level
Starting Proficiencies: 4

BAB: (Med)
Fort: (Low)
Ref: (High)
Will: (Med)
Def: (Med)
Init: (High)
Lifestyle: (Med)
Legend: (Low)

CORE ABILITY
Edgy: When your nerves are taut is when you’re often at your most surprising. Every time you suffer stress damage or the shaken condition, you gain 1 edge. Additionally, you gain Stress Resistance equal to your current Edge.

CLASS ABILITIES
Smooth Operator: At level 1, each time you fail a Bluff or Haggle check and don’t suffer an error, you still succeed as long as the check DC (or your opponent’s check result) is equal to or less than your Class Level + 20. If several grades of success are possible, you achieve only the lowest possible positive result.
If you gain this ability for either skill from two or more classes, add together your levels in all classes granting the ability when determining its effect.

Livin’ On The Edge I: At Level 2, once per adventure as a free action, you may spend and roll one Action Die and then gain Edge equal to the result. Also, you gain a morale bonus to initiative equal to your edge.

Livin’ On The Edge II: At level 11, you may now spend an Action Die to gain Edge once per session (instead of once per adventure) and you gain a morale bonus to reflex saves equal to your edge.

Livin’ On The Edge III: At level 19, you may now spend an Action Die to gain Edge once per scene (instead of once per session) and you gain a dodge bonus to defense equal to your edge.

Bonus Feat: At Levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19, you gain 1 additional Chance or Covert feat.

Uncanny Dodge I: Your senses are supremely sharp, letting you react quickly to danger. At Level 4, you retain your Dexterity bonus to Defense (if any) even when flat-footed.

Uncanny Dodge II: At Level 8, you never become flanked.

Uncanny Dodge III: At Level 12, you gain a +4 bonus with Reflex saves made to avoid traps, as well as a +4 bonus to Defense against attacks made by traps.

Uncanny Dodge IV: At Level 16, the first time in each scene when an attack reduces you to 0 or fewer wounds, the attack instead misses you.

Uncanny Dodge V: At Level 20, you never become flatfooted and may not be targeted with Coup de Grace actions unless you’re held, paralyzed, or unconscious.

Scoundrel’s Luck: At levels 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18, you may choose 1 of the following abilities. Each of these abilities may be chosen only once.
•   Celebrated: Your Legend increases by 2.
•   Charmer: You receive a 20% discount when purchasing Favors (if you already possess a discount with these purchases, it increases by 5%).
•   Flashy: Your Panache increases by 2.
•   Flattery Gets You Everywhere: Compliments aren’t always lies. Your Smooth Operator ability also applies to your Impress checks.
•   He Did It!: When you successfully Taunt an opponent you may force him to attack any character adjacent to you (other than himself). You may use this ability a number of times per scene equal to your starting action dice.
•   Keen Senses: Your visual, hearing, and scent ranges increase by 20 ft.
•   Look Out!: Each ally and teammate within 10 ft. who can see and hear you gains the benefits of uncanny dodge I. This does not stack with uncanny dodge abilities they already have.
•   Razor Sharp Rebuttal: Your scathing remarks can frustrate your surprisingly inaccurate opponents. Once per round when an adjacent opponent’s attack misses you by 5 or more, you may immediately attempt to Threaten the opponent as a free action. You may substitute Impress in place of Intimidate for this action.
•   Sudden Clarity: You may spend 3 Edge to end your Baffled, Enraged, Frightened, Shaken or Stunned condition.
You gain access to the following restricted action. SUDDEN CLARITY Half Action • Initiative Action
You may spend 3 Edge to lose your choice of one of the following conditions: Baffled, Enraged, Frightened, Shaken or Stunned.

Silver Tongued Devil: At Levels 10 and 20, your threat range with all Bluff, Haggle, and Impress checks increases by 1.
At Level 10, choose one of the skills your Smooth Operator ability applies to and increase its threat range by 1.
At Level 20, you may do this for another of your Smooth Operator skills.

Say The Right Thing: You know just what to say to get the desired effect… At Level 14, once per session, you may make 1 Charisma-based skill check, automatically scoring a natural 20. This roll is a threat and may be activated as a critical success. You may not be forced to re-roll this natural 20.

Edited to follow Morg's suggestions, added Keen Senses as a replacement for Flattery Gets You Everywhere.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:30:47 PM by Big_Jim » Logged
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »

With a cost of 3, I'd go ahead and simplift Sudden clarity to~

•   Sudden Clarity: You may spend 3 Edge to end your baffled, enraged, frightened, shaken, or stunned condition.

•   Flattery Gets You Everywhere: Compliments aren’t always lies. Your Smooth Operator ability also applies to your Impress checks.

That one worries me.

Silver Tongued Devil: At Level 10, choose one of the skills your Smooth Operator ability applies to and increase its threat range by 1.
At Level 20, you may do this for another of your Smooth Operator skills.

Seems underweight and is part of the reason Flattery makes me nervous. I'd streamline it to~

Silver Tongued Devil: At Levels 10 and 20, your threat range with all Bluff, Haggle, and Impress checks increases by 1.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »

Sorry I haven't responded. Those look like sound suggestions, though I'm not sure way flattery is such a bugaboo for you. Anyway, I think flattery needs to be replaced with another choice. I not sure what though. When I have time to work on this again I'll see if anything pops up.

Always looking for suggestions, too.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:58:15 AM »

Those look like sound suggestions, though I'm not sure way flattery is such a bugaboo for you.

I has a good think on it and I think an ability that gives you a third flawless skill in the same class makes it very difficult to ever multi-class out of it. Sort of like D&D wizards - once you start its just stupid to stop becaue nothing else is going ot offer comperable rewards to getting that next level of wizard.

Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »

Fair enough.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »

On the other hand, you definitely planeted the seed in my brain of looking at a single flawless skill as a possibility in selective ability lists. It looks GOOD on the page - I just dont' think it works with classes that have 2 flawless skills at class level 1. Its certainly a powerful tool for evoking an archetype Grin.

Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:13 PM »

Added Keen Senses in as the replacement pick.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: