Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 03:47:04 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Jack of All Trades (Base Class)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jack of All Trades (Base Class)  (Read 1188 times)
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »

I made a few new base classes for a campaign I'm working on and thought I throw them up here for evaluation.
Here's the first one, the jack of all trades. I wanted this class to cover the kind of wandering skilled adventurer type, with broad range skill-monger being the focus.

Link goes to my PDF post (This is how I'm gonna do "final version PDFs" from now on. That way, users can always find the most up to date and finalized version of a class's PDF and not have dead links when I clean up my Google Drive.
http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6677.msg118698#msg118698

JACK OF ALL TRADES (BASE)
Never settling down in one place for long, a number of skills for a wide variety of situations, and the ability to work well with others describes a great number of adventurers. But the Jack of All Trades takes these traits to extremes – consumed with a wanderlust to see what’s over the horizon, a breadth of skills for almost any task, and the ability to help others consistently with those skills is the hallmark of these versatile individuals.

Depending on your campaign, a Jack of All Trades could be...

•   An itinerant worker, highly skilled but content to go to where the work is and his help is needed.
•   A travelling scholar, seeking new discoveries and experiences for his next book.
•   A trader of goods from far off lands, picked up in his travels and peddled to others from the back of his rickety wagon.
•   A student of the world, seeking knowledge from others by trading skilled labor rather than by sitting home and reading about the world in dusty old books.
•   A man with no name, arriving in town to deal with the local bully and then just as quickly moving on.

Party Role: Wildcard. You’re literally a backup for everyone, and dabble in a bit of everything. Your high BAB means that despite your lack of extra combat abilities you’re even a passable warrior in addition to your skill heavy repertoire.

CLASS FEATURES
Favored Attributes: Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity
Class Skills: Athletics, Blend, Bluff, Crafting, Haggle, Investigate, Notice, Prestidigitation, Resolve, Ride, Sense Motive, Survival
Skill Points: 8 + Int mod per Level
Vitality: 6 + Con mod per Level
Starting Proficiencies: 4

BAB: (High) (Med) (High)
Fort: (High) (Med) (High)
Ref: (Med)
Will: (Med)
Def: (Med)
Init: (Med)
Lifestyle: (Low) (Med) (Low)
Legend: (Low) (Med) (Low)

CORE ABILITY
Survivor: You have a knack for getting by and moving on, no matter the environment or situation. You gain +4 to Survival checks and the overland travel speed of your party increase by 2 mph.

CLASS ABILITIES
Living Up To The Name: At Level 1, you gain the Well-Rounded feat. Also, you gain 1 additional skill point at this level and for each Class Level thereafter.

Living Up To The Name: At Level 1, you gain the Well-Rounded feat. Also, you gain 1 additional skill point at this level and for each Class Level thereafter. Finally, each even Class Level in this class increases your Casting Level by 1.

Aptitude And Knowledge: At Levels 2, 11, and 19, you gain an additional Interest. Also, choose one skill from the following list: Athletics, Blend, Bluff, Crafting, Haggle, Investigate, Notice, Prestidigitation, Resolve, Ride, Sense Motive, or Survival. Your maximum rank in the chosen skill increases to your Career Level + 6. Only the highest bonus to maximum rank, including any enlightened skill bonuses from Origin or elsewhere, may apply to each skill.

Wandering Soul: At levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 19, you may either gain a Terrain feat or take a step upon one of the following Paths: Beasts, Good, Metal, Nature, Travel, or Wilderness.

Cross-Training: You pick up the tricks of others to augment your own abilities. At Levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20, you may choose 1 of the following Base Class abilities. You may choose most abilities only once but when 2 or more grades follow an ability name you may take it multiple times, gaining 1 grade each time it’s taken.
•   Assassin: Hand of death; cold read 1/session; quick on your feet 1/session; unspoken name +1
•   Burglar: Very, very sneaky; evasion I; bonus feat; uncanny dodge I
•   Captain: Right-hand man; master and commander I; battleplanning I; take command +1
•   Courtier: With a word; gifts and favors I; obligations; Eloquence
•   Explorer: Tomb raider; bookworm I (1/2 time); bonus feat; uncanny dodge I
•   Keeper: Man of reason; trade secrets (1 skill); bright idea 1/session; bonus feat
•   Lancer: Born in the saddle; mettle I; bonus feat; bred for war
•   Mage: Subtle and quick to anger; arcane might; bonus feat
•   Priest: Acolyte; signs & portents I; path of the devoted (1 Step); bonus feat
•   Scout: Stalker; rough living +2; bonus feat; sneak attack +1d6
•   Soldier: Fight on ×2; fortunes of war I; armor use I

Spell points are not granted, limiting a cross-trained character without additional spellcasting ability to Level 0 spells. Neither is Alignment, effectively rendering acolyte and devoted useless to anyone without an Alignment from another character option.
You may not choose an ability you already have, and if you later gain an ability you’ve chosen here you do not gain it a second time; instead, you make a new cross-training choice to replace the former one.
When a cross-trained ability uses Class or Caster Level to determine its effect, it is considered to be 4.
If the GM excludes a Base Class from play, then you lose access to its cross-training abilities; likewise, if the GM approves additional Base Classes, new options become available.

Traveler’s Tricks: At Levels 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18, you may choose 1 of the following abilities. Each of these abilities may be chosen only once.
•   Always Ready: You may always act during surprise rounds.
•   Do Just as I do: When helping in a cooperative check, a single adjacent ally or teammate who is also a helper may share your result. The character must remain within 10 ft. of you to retain this benefit.
•   Expertise: Choose one: Athletics, Blend, Bluff, Crafting, Haggle, Investigate, Notice, Prestidigitation, Resolve, Ride, Sense Motive, or Survival. You may always take 10 with this skill. Also, taking 10 with this skill doesn’t take twice as long and taking 20 takes only 10 times as long.
•   Follow My Lead: When leading a cooperative check for a skill that you possess at least 5 ranks in, then all your helpers are considered trained in the skill also.
•   Improvised Toolbox: Choose 1 kit (see Fantasy Craft, page 159). You’re always considered to have this kit when making an associated skill check.
•   Inner Reserves: Once per Adventure, before you roll, you may substitute your Class Level for either your Base Attack Bonus, Base Fortitude Bonus, Base Will Bonus, Base Reflex Bonus, or Base Initiative Bonus.
•   Epiphany: Once per Adventure, you can make a single skill check as if you had a number of ranks in a skill equal to your Class Level. You must possess a least one rank naturally in the skill to use this ability.
•   Keen Senses: Your visual, hearing, and scent range increments increase by 20 ft.
•   Rough Riding: Your vehicle or mount ignores Speed penalties from terrain (see Fantasy Craft, page 371).
•   Self-Improvement: Your lowest attribute score rises by 1.

Multi-talented I: At Level 10, you may benefit from two appropriate synergy bonuses for a single check.

Multi-talented II: At Level 20, you may benefit from three appropriate synergy bonuses for a single check.

Wait, I Just Remembered!: At level 14, once per session, you may gain any one study, language, proficiency, or trick as a free action. This ability lasts for the remainder of the session.

Wait, I Just Remembered!: At level 14, as a free action, you may gain any one study, language, skill focus, proficiency, or trick until the end of the adventure. You may use this ability a number of times per adventure equal to your Intelligence modifier (min. 1).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:30:00 PM by Big_Jim » Logged
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »

I created a similar class, though more based on adaptability rather than omnicompetance, a while back:
Jack (of All Trades)
The Jack is the unknown quantity, able to adapt his abilities to the situation at present with just a moment to prepare. Depending on your campaign, a Sage could be...
• A mysterious figure who can’t remember his past, his skills or his abilities, until the time he needs them the most.
• An Akashic seeker, pulling skills and knowledge from the spirits that surround him.
• A member of a long lived race who has seen much and picked up a little of everything.
Party Role: Wildcard. The Jack’s strength comes in his unpredictability.
BAB: (Med)
Fort: (Med)
Ref: (Med)
Will: (Med)
Def: (Med)
Init: (Med)
Lifestyle: (Med)
Legend: (Med)

Favoured Attributes: Intelligence, Charisma, the more skills he gets the better, anything else is flexible, though the Jack’s particular abilities lend themselves well to being the party talker in a pinch.
Class Skills: Bluff, Crafting, Haggle, Impress, Investigate, Medicine, Resolve, Ride, Search, Survival
Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 9 + Con modifier per level
Starting Proficiencies: 4
Caster Level: Levels in this class increase your caster level.
Multi-Competent (CORE):  A number of times per adventure equal to your starting AD you may substitute either your Base Attack Bonus, Base Fortitude Bonus, Base Will Bonus, Base Reflex Bonus, Base Defence Bonus, or Base Initiative Bonus to your Career Level. This applies for 1 roll each time it is used (in the case of defence this applies to 1 attack).
“I Know This…”: At 1st level you gain the I Can Swim feat, in addition you gain a number of temporary skill points equal to your Class Level at the start of each adventure.. These may be spent as usual on your I Can Swim feat, but are removed at the end of each adventure Adaptable Skills I: At 2nd level you may spend skill points to gain additional Studies or Languages. A single interest may be gained for 2 skill points. You may use your temporary skill points from “I Know This…” for this purpose.
Adaptable Skills II: At level 11 you may spend skill points to gain Weapon Proficiencies (including Advanced Actions & Tricks), these cost 3 skill points per proficiency.
Adaptable Skills III: At level 19 you may spend skill points to gain additional feats, these cost 6 skill points per feat, and you must meet all prerequisites as usually. Should you spend the temporary skill points from “I Know This…” on feats, they follow all the usual restrictions on temporary feats.
Bonus Feat: At Levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 19, you gain 1 additional Skill or Style feat.
Cross-Training: Your constant study of heroes lets you pick up some of their abilities along the way. At Levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20, you may choose 1 of the following Base Class abilities. You may choose most abilities only once but when 2 or more grades follow an ability name you may take it multiple times, gaining 1 grade each time it’s taken.
• Assassin : Hand of death; cold read 1/session; quick on your feet/session; unspoken name +1
• Burglar : Very, very sneaky; evasion I; bonus feat; uncanny dodge I
• Captain : Right-hand man; master and commander I; battleplanning I; take command +1
• Courtier : With a word; gifts and favours I; obligations; eloquence
• Explorer : Tomb raider; bookworm I (1/2 time); bonus feat; uncanny dodge I
• Keeper : Man of reason; trade secrets (1 skill); bright idea 1/session; bonus feat
• Lancer : Born in the saddle; mettle I; bonus feat; bred for war
• Mage : Subtle and quick to anger; arcane might; bonus feat• Pri est : Acolyte; signs & portents I; path of the devoted (1 Step); bonus feat
• Scout : Stalker; rough living +2; bonus feat; sneak attack +1d6
• Soldi er : Fight on ×2; fortunes of war I; armour use I
The Situation is in Hand: Your ability to adapt to any situation drives you. At Level 6, once per adventure, you may spend 10 minutes to gain 1 temporary Skill feat of your choice until the end of the current adventure.
At levels 9 & 15 you may use this ability an additional time per adventure.
At Level 12 you may add Terrain feats to the list you can select.
At Level 18 you may add Chance feats to the list you can select.
Instant Mastery: At 9th level once per Adventure you can make a single skill check as if you had a number of ranks in a skill equal to your Class Level. The skill does not have to be a Class or Origin skill.
Breadth of Skill: At level 10 all skills become Jack class skills for you and you are considered to have a single rank in any skill you posses no ranks in. When spending points on a skill you must still spend 1 skill point on your first rank however.
“…I’ve seen it done before”: At level 14 once per adventure you may use any single ability from the first 10 levels of a basic class, or first 5 levels of an Expert class, excluding core abilities. Abilities which normally have permanent effects instead last until the end of the current scene. In the case of numeral or advancing abilities you gain only the first numeral or base ability. Using this ability to gain Circle of Power gives you a number of spell points equal to your Class Level.
Depth of Skill: At level 20 you are gain 4 skill ranks in all skills in which you currently posses less than 4 skill
ranks.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »

@Big Jim,

I like it Smiley.  

As per the Sage, I take it those using the Adventurer's Companion should also have the following abilities available through cross-training?  (p. 107)

Emissary: Human nature; sources I; bonus feat; insightful
Martial Artist: Martial arts; life of discipline; way of the warrior; improved reach +1

@spinningdice,
Nice core ability.  Almost too nice... I'd be tempted to have a lower progression for the bonus temporary skill points.  (Bonus temporary skill points equal to skill & style feats might be one option...)
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »

Instant Mastery: At 9th level once per Adventure you can make a single skill check as if you had a number of ranks in a skill equal to your Class Level. The skill does not have to be a Class or Origin skill.

Some interesting ideas in there. However, the Instant Mastery (quoted above) is orphaned from any slots (it's an extra ability that doesn't fit in the class skeleton). Was it left in by mistake? Is it supposed to be a replacement for the F1 slot?

@Big Jim,

I like it Smiley

As per the Sage, I take it those using the Adventurer's Companion should also have the following abilities available through cross-training?  (p. 107)

Emissary: Human nature; sources I; bonus feat; insightful
Martial Artist: Martial arts; life of discipline; way of the warrior; improved reach +1

Yep. Also the 1-4 level abilities for any other base classes that are available for use in the campaign, too.  Smiley
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »

It comes together very well, Jim, I like it. The one thing I'd change is that your GB seems over powered and Dice's seems under powered. What about:

Wait, I Just Remembered!: At level 14 you may gain any one study, language, proficiency, or trick as a free action until the end of the adventure. You may use the ability a number of times per adventure equal to your Intelligence modifier (min. 1).

It gets a nice bump and it makes sense that any study/language you want to gain for the session would be useful for the entire adventure. You might consider adding focuses to the list.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »

I like Jake's revised gamebreaker and spinningdice's using Medium for all (because for Jack of All Trades that just seems ideal).
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »

Revised with Jake's improved gamebreaker and Spinning Dice's all Med build, per Sletchman's post. That does drop the proficiencies to 3.

I also decided to add two more choices to the pick one ability, taking it from the normal 8 choices to the Priest/Scout's 10. Not sure about pumping it up to match the Martial Artist's 12 choices. Maybe tweak Spinning's Core and orphaned level 9 ability to fit?

•   Inner Reserves: Once per Adventure, before you roll, you may substitute your Class Level for either your Base Attack Bonus, Base Fortitude Bonus, Base Will Bonus, Base Reflex Bonus, or Base Initiative Bonus.

•   Instant Mastery Epiphany: Once per Adventure, you can make a single skill check as if you had a number of ranks in a skill equal to your Class Level. You must possess a least one rank naturally in the skill to use this ability.

Edit - Changed the name
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:22:00 PM by Big_Jim » Logged
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:37:02 AM »

Looking good, shame to see high BAB go though. Not enough classes with high/mid skills and high BAB.

Unless I'm not seeing it, the class needs caster levels.

Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »

Looking good, shame to see high BAB go though. Not enough classes with high/mid skills and high BAB.

Yeah. I'm not to happy with the all med build either. My reasoning before was he has the high Fort Save because he travels a lot and works as labor consistently, and Low Lifestyle and Legend for those same reasons. The High BAB was to once again make him a bag of tricks - He could get close to a Soldier in combat output, but his vitality says "Don't do that as a matter of course, stupid!". I think I might change it back.

Unless I'm not seeing it, the class needs caster levels.

Yeah... as Morg points out in this post: http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6601.msg118637#msg118637 , Not giving a path-class caster levels is just plain dumb. Whoops. However, i don't think caster levels fit the over-all feel of the class - that of "shotgun skill points man". What if I amended Wandering Soul to the same rule as Cross-Training has? Something like:

Wandering Soul: At levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 19, you may either gain a Terrain feat or take a step upon one of the following Paths: Beasts, Good, Metal, Nature, Travel, or Wilderness. your Caster Level is considered to be 4 for the purposes of this ability.

Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »

I think I might change it back.

I would. Dice's reasoning is sound but it's just more fun the other way.

Yeah... as Morg points out in this post: http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6601.msg118637#msg118637 , Not giving a path-class caster levels is just plain dumb. Whoops. However, i don't think caster levels fit the over-all feel of the class - that of "shotgun skill points man". What if I amended Wandering Soul to the same rule as Cross-Training has? Something like:

Wandering Soul: At levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 19, you may either gain a Terrain feat or take a step upon one of the following Paths: Beasts, Good, Metal, Nature, Travel, or Wilderness. your Caster Level is considered to be 4 for the purposes of this ability.

What about:
Makeshift Caster: Each odd level in this class increases your Casting Level by 1.

Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »

I'm more inclined to make it every even level (rounded down). That way it progresses similarly to an attribute bonus; level 3 is the same benefit as 2 - you gotta hit 4 to just up another CL. I'm also trepidatious about creating something new and weird to keep up with in the "Class Features" section of the Class listing. With that in mind. and the fact that granting Caster Levels has no cost/balance/counter associated with it, I think it's just tack on to Living Up To The Name.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »

Base caster level on AD x Step, or just explicitly state caster level=class level in the description.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 06:21:34 AM »

Despite the humor value of Well Rounded, I think you might get more milage out of I Can Swim as the fixed feat at level 1.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »

Really? Having taken it back SC2.0 on a character, I found it to be lackluster at best. It doesn't add mileage in my mind, but let me reason out my choice of Well-Rounded.

I picked Well-Rounded because it is essentially says: "Hey, get to 'synergy level/average chance for co-op' in every skill if you want, but be ready to be outstripped by those who really have it as a class skill."

So that allows for the JoAT to be Mr. I'll-help-with-co-op-checks (A defining trait of a JoAT in my mind) for every skill. I Can Swim doesn't do anything of the sort. It allows the JoAT to pump up a skill suddenly when needed, but doesn't give access to those skills - once again, piddly skill ranks in everything is the ultimate vision I have for the class. That comes via Well-Rounded.

Ideally, having both feats is the most flexible, most iconic build for the JoAT.
"Can you do that?" "Give me a sec..." *winces and grunts* "I can now."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: