Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 11:02:04 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Starting a new campaign, Feedback please.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starting a new campaign, Feedback please.  (Read 1382 times)
Dawnblade
Jr. Agent

It's Always Darkest Before The Dawn!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2012, 01:29:43 AM »

When spellbound was announced I built the framework for a high fantasy game where magic would be commonplace.  When I learned that it would be delayed by quite a bit I put that project on hold.  Well, I had just finished Diablo 3 a few months back and enjoyed the story.  Not to long before playing and finishing the game I read "the Allow of Law" by Brandon Sanderson.  Thus was born my idea of running a game set 150-ish years after the events of Diablo 3 for my gaming group.   After over a century of not being ravaged by demons sanctuary was allowed to enter a golden age of prosperity.  The feel I am going with is Diablo + Steampunk, using gear up to the age of reason and some home brew vehicles, trains, and such.  It wont happen right off the bat but obviously demons will be making a return. I am having them start level two in case they want to multiclass to show representing their life up until now. 

So far for players I have,
Lancer or Captain - currently a farm boy of a rural city with aspirations of greatness.
Soldier - town guard assigned to a guard tower on the town outskirts,  has a famous family name.

the rest are still deciding.  actually surprised there are no magic users yet heh.
What do you guys think?
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:43:02 AM »

Sounds great!

Is there something specific that we could help with?

Dawnblade
Jr. Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:58:51 AM »

Well to be honest, I have only ever run a Whitewolf mage game before and it went ok but I felt as though the way that system worked (it is a 1-5 dot system and first dot is sensory spells) they all used there abilities to know the plot as early as possible.  first dot abilities in Whitewolf mage tell you if it is a ghost, werewolf, mage, vampire, or other, which turns into no surprises ever.  However, I have played in a few Fantasy craft game and really like the system! 

I really am looking for feedback in terms of what do you guys think might be problems with my setting, or general suggestions,  or cool thoughts you may have.  Really I am looking for anything you might have to contribute with, as I am open to suggestions.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:14:36 AM »

Speaking only for myself, I can't say that I have enough information to offer advice based on what you have written thus far.

That said, I can offer general advice:

Take it slow with new players - especially those with previous d20 experience.
Get to know the NPC system - it is your friend if you treat it right.
Don't forget that "normal" adversaries can be special characters too.  It doesn't just have to be the BBEG.
Corollary: The BBEG does NOT have to a special character, though he/she/it should have story critical until the big fight.
Work with the players and find out what they want.  Then give it too them.  However, make sure they know what you want too.

Dawnblade
Jr. Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:07:02 AM »

Thanks for advice Ludo Cheesy

I am new to being a GM in general however me and my group has been playing D20 for a long time.  Our group has been playing Fantasy Craft since it launched and quickly replaced my favorite D20 system.  We shift who the GM is here and there most people taking turns so I have wanted to contribute. One of the players Agent333, you may know from here as he is much more active on the board.

Yeah I guess I am not looking for anything specific.  Stuff like what you posted is a great contribution,  I also enjoy people getting creative and saying stuff like "ohh If i was running that game I would totally have the Yshari Sanctum in Caldeum lift off into the clouds and travel would be by airship to get there".  The only real thing that has been puzzling me is if I should keep guns as they are or modify them. I would like the setting to be shifting to where guns are becoming mainstream with brand names and advertisements.  However as they are now the load times take far to long, but if I modify anything it will probably destroy game balance and I don't want to do that.  I contemplated making revolvers and basic clips to remove load times until a certain amount of shots and in turn reduce the damage they do.
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 08:28:26 AM »

Blankbeard threw up some stats for  some guns here http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6149.0 that include revolvers and ways to cut down reload times.

Best advice for new players, though, especially d20 players is taking things slow and letting them adapt to the system. I can't tell you how many times I said "You are not a cleric" to our priest in the first month of play.
Dawnblade
Jr. Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »

Thanks Coyote,  The link you provided will be a huge help in my quest!! 

Best advice for new players, though, especially d20 players is taking things slow and letting them adapt to the system. I can't tell you how many times I said "You are not a cleric" to our priest in the first month of play.

Haha yeah I had some problems with D&D paladins vs Fantasycraft paladins a ways back.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: