Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 06:09:08 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Poisoner's Handbook
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poisoner's Handbook  (Read 338 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 01:26:23 AM »

That's assuming the stacking reading is correct, which I disagree with and sadly neither Pat nor Alex* -- or even Scott -- have answered the query about it on the FC board.

*: Hopefully that means Spellbound is very very nearly a real thing

Nuaurpy
Agent

The Shadow knows.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 03:30:50 AM »

That's why I included the math for both with and without stacking, because while I do think it should stack if you have the money and the room for complexity, I understand that not everyone will play with those rules. My general point is that even without stacking buffs it gets out of hand, especially when mixed with the "Black Vial" class ability (something I assume these feats would be mixed with pretty regularly).
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 08:55:15 AM »

On either side of the debate: poison is nasty!

I rarely use it in my games because players see it as a cheap shot.  However, why shouldn't the ogre drop dead from a flesh eating poison?  How is the dragon any different?  Or the PC's for that matter?  My general rule of thumb/cliche is this: What's good for the goose NPC is good for the gander PC.  It tends to solve abuses of power rather quickly.

Nuaurpy
Agent

The Shadow knows.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »

On either side of the debate: poison is nasty!

I rarely use it in my games because players see it as a cheap shot.  However, why shouldn't the ogre drop dead from a flesh eating poison?  How is the dragon any different?  Or the PC's for that matter?  My general rule of thumb/cliche is this: What's good for the goose NPC is good for the gander PC.  It tends to solve abuses of power rather quickly.

This is exactly how I run my games. I don't tend to use things like save or dies or other really powerful effects that often... unless my players start taking advantage of those things.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 03:45:57 AM »

One suggestion: someone with this feat line should also be hard to poison by other people (they may well have practiced mithridataism with regards to some poisons; and they should also know the symptoms of a wide variety of poisons and know/have the antidotes).

So if you wanted to tone down the DC bonus a tad, being hard to poison and being good at treating poisons might be good options to consider throwing in.

(These ideas are partly inspired by Sadi, a character from David Eddings' Belgariad/Malloreon, btw: a courtier in a snake-god worshipping nation where poisoning was very much how the game of power was played; and to survive and flourish in that world, you had to be very good at not being killed by that means).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:29:14 AM by paddyfool » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: