Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 01:21:51 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Non-magic stunts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Non-magic stunts  (Read 1408 times)
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »

So we have a character that is created for infiltration, and sneaking around and espionage in general, and she has been getting amazing rolls for remembering maps and reports and tally sheets (Like 5 + nudge, over and over again) without needing to write anything down. So we want to advance her and give her an eidetic memory, so we don't even have to roll for her to do her job.

Thinking about this I have come to the conclusion that having an eidetic memory would be like a Tineye with the "Sense Memory" stunt. So my thinking is that the character could either take two long breathers to first gain a "Good Memory" trait(gives +1 dice to memory rolls), then upgrade that trait to Eidetic Memory. Giving it the same properties as the Sense Memory for sight.

Or the character could wait and spend one long breather to "Snap into a person with Eidetic memory" and gain that power for 8 to 10 AP. She is already a soother so snapping into a tineye would not work out.

The system does not have any "Non-magic stunts" that I have found, so has anybody else done something like this? Did it work well? Did it cause problems? If I open this up are there any other abnormal human abilities that would fall into this category, and might cause problems?
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »

The system doesn't seem to be built for nonmagic stunts.  I would just have her choose to gain eidetic memory as a trait at the next opportunity...
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »

The system doesn't seem to be built for nonmagic stunts.  I would just have her choose to gain eidetic memory as a trait at the next opportunity...

You say that now... Wink

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
dbmeboy
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 06:09:59 AM »

Maybe not built for nonmagic stunts, but I'd say they work pretty well within the game... it's all about getting the cost right to keep them balanced.
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »

Fair enough.  There is a time and place for stunts but eidetic memory is more of trait...  Giving appropriate costs isn't the right way to go about it so much as balancing it with tje flat cost of stunts.  So if you want it as a stunt just work it like sense memory and pay the advancement for a stunt.  I would not have it work as a power despite the fact it is...  moderatley supernatural.  One thing that could be fun is the eventual reveal that she's been spiked with copper feruchemy all along...
Red-Hat
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »

I'd be inclined to suggest perhaps using hemalurgy in some form to confer the trait for one simple reason:  An eidetic memory is an intrinsic trait, not an acquired one.  There are all sorts of memory techniques that can approach the same level of accuracy and/or detail, but that's not at all the same.  And it's especially worth noting that Sense Memory is not eidetic memory specifically because Sense Memory applies only to one sense.

But that's almost just nit-picky.  On the other hand, the Hemalurgic angle lets you use that to weave a bit of new story.  It wouldn't be too difficult to have an infiltration specialized Soother get captured (someone's spiked with Copper Allomancy!) and used for someone's experiment into Hemalurgy - perhaps someone outside of the Steel Ministry has gotten ahold of a Treatise Metallurgic.  Perhaps they want to know if this incredibly rare (I'm not even sure if there's any verified cases in reality) gift can be transferred by a Copper spike before spiking it into themselves and risking exposure to the victim's mind.  Then the infiltrator just needs to escape/be sprung before the spike is taken away, and voila - with the handy benefit of introducing a new villain and a new plot device you can make use of.  You could, I suppose, say that this is such a powerful tool that it overrides the normal benefit of a copper spike, but in that case I'd suggest also reducing the penalty as well (on your option, you could even say that the original victim's soul was already so shattered by various hemalurgical experiments that maybe the penalties just conveniently vanish, but that might come across as too easy to the players - one of those times when you just have to think about the table that you've got).
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »

OK, so I guess we are going for a photographic memory, not an Eididic one. That would be just like "Sense Memory:sight".
BTW, that idea of using copper hemalurgy to steal someone's eididic memory is a great one. Though I have other plans  for hemalurgy in this campaign, so I don't think I'll use it here.

I'll see your nit-pick, and raise you an improvised psudo-scientific explaination!
"You see, in the world of Scadrial, the Lord Ruler has messed with human biology enough that "Nobles" brains don't stop growing and expanding their abilities untill the mid-twenties. So amazing mental stunts like photographic memories, dislexia, perfect pitch, and even healing of extensive damage are possible."

Also, in this adventure, there is a steel inquisitor with a special spike that gives him access to Feruchemical Unobtainium. This gives him the ability to store other peoples memories, and then tap those memories by giving them to a third party or the original donor (never himself, it is an external metal for feruchemy). So I think it would be interesting to see what happens when he steals memories from our little "photographer". Willpower damage, confusion, discovery of the SI's ability, etc.
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 06:08:18 PM »

I'd be inclined to suggest perhaps using hemalurgy in some form to confer the trait for one simple reason:  An eidetic memory is an intrinsic trait, not an acquired one.  There are all sorts of memory techniques that can approach the same level of accuracy and/or detail, but that's not at all the same.  And it's especially worth noting that Sense Memory is not eidetic memory specifically because Sense Memory applies only to one sense.

But that's almost just nit-picky.  On the other hand, the Hemalurgic angle lets you use that to weave a bit of new story.  It wouldn't be too difficult to have an infiltration specialized Soother get captured (someone's spiked with Copper Allomancy!) and used for someone's experiment into Hemalurgy - perhaps someone outside of the Steel Ministry has gotten ahold of a Treatise Metallurgic.  Perhaps they want to know if this incredibly rare (I'm not even sure if there's any verified cases in reality) gift can be transferred by a Copper spike before spiking it into themselves and risking exposure to the victim's mind.  Then the infiltrator just needs to escape/be sprung before the spike is taken away, and voila - with the handy benefit of introducing a new villain and a new plot device you can make use of.  You could, I suppose, say that this is such a powerful tool that it overrides the normal benefit of a copper spike, but in that case I'd suggest also reducing the penalty as well (on your option, you could even say that the original victim's soul was already so shattered by various hemalurgical experiments that maybe the penalties just conveniently vanish, but that might come across as too easy to the players - one of those times when you just have to think about the table that you've got).

In addition I think they want to grant the ability due to a quirk of the dice making a charqcter appear to have amazing memory which provides a great in game rason to grant thr trait post character creation.
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:19:01 PM »

In addition I think they want to grant the ability due to a quirk of the dice making a charqcter appear to have amazing memory which provides a great in game rason to grant thr trait post character creation.

Yeah, that too. We are already to the first Long Breather and there is only one hallway that she failed to remember. Admitedly it was a small hallway, with little to recomend it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: