Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 03:07:09 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  The Idiot Box: TV Season 2012/2013
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Idiot Box: TV Season 2012/2013  (Read 16967 times)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »

Time for a new thread, methinks...

First up, Guillermo del Toro (you know who he is) and Carlton Cuse (Lost) have received a pilot order from FX for The Strain: Give that story a full read. Not only does this show sound like fun - I was already interested in the books, so the series is icing on a very pretty cake for me - but that backstory for how this show wound up with a pilot order is fascinating.

Also, huzzah for planned termination from the get-go! I've said it before and I'll say it again - more shows need to embrace this model. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:45:47 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »

You don't often see candid, insightful interviews these days. We joke at Comic-Con every year that half the panel questions are stuff we always hear at panels.

"Stock Question 247"
"Stock Answer 12"

...Steve and I quip to each other sometimes. There's awesome in there, but you have to dig, or wait, for it. You have to find it yourself. The bulk of the experience isn't for the penetrating observers like us - the production junkies and the behind-the-scenes content whores.

This is why I perk up and take notice when the odd interview rises up above the chaff and demonstrates not just a thoughtful series of questions at one end but illuminating answers at the other. For example, this gem that debuted over at Nerdist today...

A Lesson from ďHell On WheelsĒĎ Anson Mount

The first giveaway that it rises above? Not once does the interviewer limit a question to just "What was it like...?" That's a garbage question in every configuration. There isn't any way to answer it with an iota of substance. Here, Brian Walton incorporates the words into broader and yet more pointed questions with answers that any fan of Hell on Wheels or Anson Mount will actually care about.

If you fall into either of those categories, or you just want to see a skilled interviewer speak with a surprisingly frank actor, go give that a read. It's well worth your valuable time.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Viperion
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:03:17 PM »

He's a Gambit fan. I'm hooked. Smiley

We don't get Hell on Wheels except on a subscribe-TV channel here (which I don't subscribe to but am thinking about it - it's the channel which runs things like Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones, Hell on Wheels and Boardwalk Empire). It looks pretty good Smiley
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »

We don't get Hell on Wheels except on a subscribe-TV channel here (which I don't subscribe to but am thinking about it - it's the channel which runs things like Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones, Hell on Wheels and Boardwalk Empire). It looks pretty good Smiley

I do not watch Game of Thrones but I'm not as down on it as I was on first contact (that had to do with how everyone I know pitched the novels, which basically boiled down to "it's about all these terrible people doing terrible things to each other" and the odd "it's a mess, but it's awesome because it's got violence and boobies" once the show started up).

I can attest, however, that Sons of Anarchy is one of the finest pieces of television ever to hit our screens, and that everyone who appreciates TV on any level should be watching that show (except perhaps for those with a sensitivity to adult themes, in which case you should probably stay away).

IMO, this channel of which you speak is probably worth it for SoA and HoW alone. Boardwalk Empire I haven't jumped into yet, but I hear it's stellar, and an awful lot of folks are behind Game of Thrones, so my early estimation must be wrong. Hell, I might even watch an episode... someday... after I'm through my current queue (heh).

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:58:54 PM »

I love SoA even though I'm a full season behind (mainly because I missed the start and am catching up through NetFlix). GoT was good but not great in my opinion but it is an adult fantasy story.

I'll catch Boardwalk Empire later ... gotta finish many things on my NetFlix queue.

One of the greatest Canadian drama shows I have ever seen is Intelligence. It is similar in base plot to Infernal Affairs and The Departed. However, it is more intricate and tightly constructed than anything I have ever seen. If you like shows this tightly wound, you have to see it.

The base plot: A third generation crime lord (played by Canadian actor Ian Tracey) in Vancouver becomes an informant in exchange for information about his competitors by the ambitious female head of the Organized Crime Unit in Vancouver. He's dealing with people trying to unravel his life from criminals to his ex-wife. The leader of the OCU is dealing with superiors in Ottawa and a second in command (played by Matt Frewer) who is trying to undercut her. ... The show aired for two seasons on CBC (Canada's government run public station) and it was killed because Ottawa did not like the way they depicted the CIA. It was created by Chris Haddock (who I swear is the Canadian version of Kurt Sutter). I highly recommend it.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Seuss
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »

I can attest, however, that Sons of Anarchy is one of the finest pieces of television ever to hit our screens, and that everyone who appreciates TV on any level should be watching that show (except perhaps for those with a sensitivity to adult themes, in which case you should probably stay away).

If there was a "Like" button I would be pushing it.  It is an extremely well written show ... and it seems like ALL the characters have grown and developed as the seasons have progressed whereas in many shows on television now the minor characters get stuck in their minor roles with little or now developement so that you wouldn't care (nor even perhaps notice) if they were replaced.  In SoA ... everyone's got their problems and it's made each character interesting and unique while not detracting from the main plot and characters.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 04:50:09 AM »

For the Red Dwarf fans: www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/08/red-dwarf-air-date/

The new season of Red Dwarf is supposed to air starting October 4th in the UK.  Need to find out if/when they have any U.S. air dates.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:18:48 AM »

I checked out two of this season's new shows tonight - Revolution and Elementary.

Revolution - Take a DnD campaign, change a few of the names and setting details, and go! Overall it wasn't too bad, and I'm looking forward to where it goes in the next few episodes. Oh, and it looks like girls armed with (cross)bows is the next big thing.

Elementary - Oy vey. I can see what they were trying to do and all I can say is: no sir, I don't like it. Miller's Holmes doesn't feel right, and Liu's Watson needs to develop a lot more before they get anywhere near the Holmes/Watson relationship we see in Sherlock, or even the RDJ movies. Oh, and leaving out Mrs Watson and Inspector Lestrade is really annoying. There's more to a good Sherlock tale than the detective and the doctor, it's the whole world that makes the stories so great. Get the shovels ready. This may last a full season, but I doubt it will get a second.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 07:21:10 AM »

Actually Revolution has had episodes airing on Hulu in the US ahead of the broadcast schedule. It actually looks pretty good so far. There was a show on the History Channel here in the US called Life After People and a lot of the production design seems to be from that TV show.

I cannot speak on Elementary. I'm waiting to see how it lasts.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »

Revolution - Take a DnD campaign, change a few of the names and setting details, and go! Overall it wasn't too bad, and I'm looking forward to where it goes in the next few episodes. Oh, and it looks like girls armed with (cross)bows is the next big thing.

I'm still undecided whether I like the show. The pilot and second episode were both meh to me, and though I agree that the production design is strong - I really like the trend toward "naturalistic" post-apoc, with nature reclaiming the land - the story simply isn't engaging. The villain has a huge, sweeping goal that doesn't seem relatable at all, and the heroes seem almost entirely disengaged with him (other than him hunting them down, of course, which makes them a rather passive, reactionary force in the narrative).

And yes, one of the first things I said after viewing the pilot at Comic-Con was, "That show wants to be Hunger Games so badly it hurts."

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »

The biggest reason the show has been engaging for me has been Giancarlo Esposito more than anything. He's the big on-camera reason why I'm watching at the moment. Off-camera, JJ Abrams and Favreau are behind this so I guess I'm hoping for it to be much more soon like it is still finding it's legs.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 08:39:38 PM »

The biggest reason the show has been engaging for me has been Giancarlo Esposito more than anything. He's the big on-camera reason why I'm watching at the moment. Off-camera, JJ Abrams and Favreau are behind this so I guess I'm hoping for it to be much more soon like it is still finding it's legs.

I believe Favreau's involvement ended with the pilot (which he directed). It's pretty common to get a big name to direct your high-profile pilot and then bring in a regular stable of TV directors for the week-to-week.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »

I agree it is ... I thought he was co-producing it. I'd have to check again. Abrams skill on TV is at 50/50.  He's not one of the heavyweights like Cannell, Larson, Spelling, Wolf, Bruckheimer or Bochco when it comes to series design but his track record is better than most.

I'm giving it 2 more episodes at this point. "Randall", whoever he is had better be interesting or he'll be just another diversion to try and keep us interested.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »

Honestly, I'd be surprised if Abrahms is more than peripherally involved either. The Producer title is used pretty liberally and doesn't always mean much. Sometimes it's literally little more than the scripts residing on someone's desk for a week.

Hard to tell in this case. I haven't seen any evidence one way or another. Abrahms is known to have been pretty heavily involved in the first couple seasons of Fringe, but I don't think he was very involved in Alcatraz at all (for example).

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »