Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 03:28:18 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Base Class Ideas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Base Class Ideas?  (Read 2623 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »

What iconic fantasy professions are floating around - either from fiction or other games that people think might make for a good start-to-finish heroic journy for characters they'd like to play? I'm looking at scripting up some new base classes to cover variations or different takes on some of the existing roles. I'm curious if folks have some other tropes they'd like to see fleshed out.

Things on my mind include~
Archon - been beating on this one for ages. the Captain re-envisioned specifically for a world of fantastical mosnters and powerful spellcasters.

Avenger - a nod to one of my favorite D&D 4e classes mechanically and something that delivers the Tenchu/Assassin's Creed gameplay so often expected from the Assassin class. Stealth kill with a smidgeon of supernatural exellence.

Gladiator - a combatant without the Soldier's focus on armor or weapon specialization, and instead building Edge from the roar of the crowd.

Harbinger - a blend of direct martial aptitude and a whole series of savagely debilitating misfortune inspired by the Hexblade but rendered largely without spell use.

Idea is that these could exist along side the existing classes to flavor some settings, or replace a few in others. Just sort of rattling the tools around in the box to see what sticks together Smiley.

What sort of loose concepts do other folks have rattling around that say "you should be able to start out as one of these, no just graduate to it as an expert class"?

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »

I know this will be covered by Spell Bound, but Summoner (in the final fantasy sense)

Shapeshifters (in the WoW Druid sense)

Psions (particularly the Daymar of Dragera style)

Witches (SFA style casting rather than spell points maybe?)

Thinking on what warrants a full class rather than an origin option/expert class makes things interesting.

If I can think of more, I will add to the list.

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:40:47 PM »

The concept of the 2.0 Transporter ExC always struck me as having deserved the base class treatment while the Wheelman should have been ExCed, and the version I came up with bears that out as it pretty much gives you Strider/Aragorn.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »

Muhuwahaha. Yeah. I was thinking about who I'd restructure the Edgemaster as a Base class. There are a couple of old Spycraft Experts who could swap places quite nicely.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 11:07:34 AM »

I think that the Priest needs to have some variant Bases built for it the same way the Mage is getting ones in Spellbound.

Force of Nature is a good example.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »

What sort of variant Priests would go be looking at?

Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »

The Gnostic from DI seems like something that should be updated to be a path caster rather than a spell point caster...

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »

A Mistborn.

Please Note: This is not because I'm not a fan of the game (I think it looks excellent so far, though I've only looked through it a little for fear of spoilers - I'm still in novel 1).  I've actually been planning a fantasy game with different types of magic based on region and race/culture.  The 8 Spellbound classes represent one group.  Another has an alchemical basis, and the Mistborn actually represent what I want them to be extremely well (not Mistings though - though that might be good for a sort of ubiquitous magic equivalent).

I wouldn't mind seeing the Wild Shape Ranger from D&D (this might be like Morganti's WoW Druid suggestion, but I don't play WoW).  Just to be sure - it was a Ranger who gained Wild Shape (per Druid), but lost his spells, pet and combat style.  I'd base it more on the Priest then the Scout though.

A Pact Class.  There was one in D&D's Tome of Magic, but I only glanced at it briefly when a mate had it a few years ago.  The idea is a guy who gets powers based on unknowable horrors that he makes Faustian bargains with.  They vary to suit said unknowable horror.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »

What sort of variant Priests would go be looking at?
Elemental Wielder/Shaper

Powerful Heritage/Magic Creature

Magic-infused Warrior

The fact is I find Paths' mix of spells and special abilities to be a lot more conducive to the flavor of inherent power than spellpoints.  Plus the fact that Paths will not grant you many different spells is good for dabbler-style characters.
The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »

A class specifically designed for beast/monster species (and more beast species to go with it). Something like the Dragon Lord (which this should be able to lead into) but more general.

Fantasy Craft is pretty unique in that it allows such characters, it should take full advantage of that.

I'm a programmer by trade, of course I like to tinker! Cheesy

"I don't want to fight dragons." - Hiccup

Drakes, the very best part about FC ^_^

I'm designing my own RPG, The Dual20 system! Cheesy
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »

That's something I've been actually looking at for an adaptation of Monte Cook's WoD to Mastercraft. Although I'm still waiting for 10kB because it may change a few pivotal things about it.

Other than that, I can see all the others as Expert Classes.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »

Half the point of the thread is to mention what Expert Class concepts we think we'd also like to see as Base Class concepts.
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »

That's something I've been actually looking at for an adaptation of Monte Cook's WoD to Mastercraft. Although I'm still waiting for 10kB because it may change a few pivotal things about it.

I haven't sat down and read the whole thing, but the race/classes in that seem more ideal toward a Path system than anything else. Except Mages, which I think were something else entirely.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 12:57:23 AM »

I agree(d). But I did try the Path concept and it didn't work out very well, at least I didn't feel it did.
Half the point of the thread is to mention what Expert Class concepts we think we'd also like to see as Base Class concepts.
I know, I know. It's just that there is nothing I'd like to see as Base Class. There are already quite a lot of them and I wouldn't like to see too many more. But that may be just me. On the other hand, I feel there are many Expert and Master classes that could be done.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »

A Pact Class.  There was one in D&D's Tome of Magic, but I only glanced at it briefly when a mate had it a few years ago.  The idea is a guy who gets powers based on unknowable horrors that he makes Faustian bargains with.  They vary to suit said unknowable horror.

There's been at least one attempt at doing this, and iirc it looked quite fun.

Personally, I can't think of any base classes that really seem to need doing.  However, having alternative class features for some of the existing classes would be tempting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: