Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 10:49:49 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Base Class Ideas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Base Class Ideas?  (Read 2443 times)
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »

In my case I won't be satisfied until there's a much more generic Path-using class.  That's really the only thing I need.
weiknarf
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »

Avenger
Swordmage
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 05:33:34 AM »

In my case I won't be satisfied until there's a much more generic Path-using class.  That's really the only thing I need.

What Path-using concepts are you particularly interested in that you can't do with the Priest?
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 06:51:04 AM »

What Path-using concepts are you particularly interested in that you can't do with the Priest?
Any that don't involve every single one of its non-Path class features.  Mechanically.

Just to pick an example from level 1: there is no concept I can think of that requires selecting a weapon, even unarmed strikes.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 07:31:18 AM »

There's a couple of paths that interact with Ritual Weapons (War comes to mind), but something should be workable.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »

There's a couple of paths that interact with Ritual Weapons (War comes to mind), but something should be workable.
Probably easy enough to figure out alternates for those.

UPDATE: Took a look: seems to only be two steps of War on one of Light.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:37:10 AM by SilvercatMoonpaw » Logged
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »

Alignments still have a ritual weapon, even without the Priest ability to get it for free.
IIRC the Paladin and Force of Nature don't have any ritual weapon abilities but work fine with relevant paths.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »

Alignments still have a ritual weapon, even without the Priest ability to get it for free.
I'm talking about Paths specifically.  What Alignments have doesn't factor.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 02:38:09 AM »

Probably easy enough to figure out alternates for those.

UPDATE: Took a look: seems to only be two steps of War on one of Light.

Treat them like Favoured Gear.  Pick an item and it can be used with X.  You can change at level up.  Should be pretty workable.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 06:00:50 AM »

Treat them like Favoured Gear.  Pick an item and it can be used with X.  You can change at level up.  Should be pretty workable.
Broadening what you can choose would make it interesting: imagine Blinding Blow with a book where you flavor the action as holding up your holy scripture.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 01:15:51 AM »

I don't see a real approach to a "more generic" path user... just other fairly strongly themed path users. When I say "generic" im mean in the way the mage is probably the most blatantly generic class I've ever done. It is naked mechanics almost entirely devoid of flavor other than "I do magic good."

The version of the Avenger I have written up has some path use (4/8/12/16/20). Its something I go back and forth on. I'm not sure paths can be used effectively in base classes outside of the A/C slot. Anywhere else and the progression just feels brually slow. Most of the time I see paths best used to form the back bone (3/5/7/9, possibly 1) of expert classes, as that sort of class ability framework is much closer to how the elements that can be used as steps on a path were defined in the first place.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 01:20:09 AM »

Avenger
Swordmage

Avenger's on my list - its mostly a matter of sitting down to write a robust nugh "Wrath Feat Tree" to support what I want to do with the source material.

Swordmages... I like, but their a bit all over the map in the way they manipulate energy. I'd like to get a good framework that lets me tie a Swordmage charater to only 1-2 energy types rather than the popporuri they can produce in 4th ed. THey also are kinda deep down the slope into the overwhelming reliance of possitional effects and teleportation. My campaign settingjust aren't the dimensional swiss cheese that 4th ed seems to promote, so I'm trying to sort of tighten up and unify their many,many teleportation effects with an eye towards are then neccessary, and can they be rendered in a fashion with a flavor I'm more comfortable with.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 02:22:48 AM »

Convert the Gnostic from DI to use paths instead of arcane magic and it seems pretty generic

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 04:41:45 AM »

A generic Path base class?  So a class where every level or 2 you get another step that can be chosen from several Paths.  This sounds almost exactly like the d20 Modern and Spycraft 2.0 Back to Basics classes so maybe you can start to look there for ideas.

I know the Paths ramp up the power level at higher ratings so if you went with a Path progression higher than every other level (which is where the priest currently sits), I'd be inclined to cap the Maximum Path rank by class level.

Setting the maximum Step at levels 3, 5, 7, and 9 for II, III, IV and V respectively would keep it in line with the existing power structure.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »

I don't see a real approach to a "more generic" path user... just other fairly strongly themed path users. When I say "generic" im mean in the way the mage is probably the most blatantly generic class I've ever done. It is naked mechanics almost entirely devoid of flavor other than "I do magic good."
Simply having more Path-using base classes would probably be enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: