Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 04:33:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Time Lord: Balls of bubbling hate.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Time Lord: Balls of bubbling hate.  (Read 1563 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:19:50 PM »

So, I was watching what is pretty much the single most definitive story of Doctor Who's entire 43+ years and was prompted to come up with this as an exercise in creativity.

Dalek. Exterminate!
(0.5)   Type: Tiny tentacled horror. Without an armoured travel machine, you are a tiny but dangerous octopus-like creature subject to all the modifiers for non-human characters. If the character ever looses their armoured travel machine, he permanently gains the sickened condition and dies after 1d10 + Con modifier hours (minimum 1 hr). Further, you gain the standard bonus feat from your Specialty only if it is Guardian, Noble, Researcher, Technician, Tradesman or Warlord.
(0.0)   Requirements: Native Culture (Dalek).

(3.5)   +4 to Intelligence, +2 Dexterity, -4 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
(0.0)   You gain a +4 bonus to saves against radiation poisoning. However, you suffer a -4 penalty to saves against ingestion- and injury-delivered diseases and poisons.
(-1.0)   Your base speed is 10 ft.
(4.0)   You gain Dirty Fighting Basics and Multi-Armed as bonus feats.
(-3.5)   You gain the banned checks NPC quality. You may not make the following checks: Acrobatics/Jump, Acrobatics/Maneuver, Acrobatics/Skydiving, Acrobatics/Tumble, Athletics/Bind, Athletics/Forced March, Athletics/Power Lifting, Athletics/Smash, Athletics/Sports Check, Profession/Accomplishment, Sleight of Hand/Conceal Action, Sleight of Hand/Stash Item, Survival/Animal Training, Survival/Foraging, or Survival/Maneuver. Additionally, you may never use the Run or Kick actions. Further you may never gain the Personal Ground Vehicles, Mounts & Animal Drawn Vehicles, Personal Air Vehicles or Personal Water Vehicles focuses for the Drive skill.
(-0.5)   You gain the Achilles Heel (Cold) NPC quality.
(-1.0)   If you have more levels in any base class than your highest level in either Soldier or Scientist, your starting action dice are reduced by 2.
(-1.0)   You may never gain the Blunt, Edged, Exotic Blunt, Exotic Hurled, Handgun, Indirect Fire, Hurled, Rifle, SMG, Shotgun, Rifle & Tactical weapon proficiencies.
(9.0)   You gain an armoured travel machine, which has the following statistics. Size: M (1x1). Occ: 1. A/T: 2/6. MPH: 5/20. Def/Save: 9/+30. Comp: 40/+2. Cargo: 0. Rng/Fuel: N/A. Qualities: COM, DEP, GEV, HAR, LSP (Mission), PVI (2), RDD (Float), SEN (All 3), STB, TRO, UPG (Blast Lance, Encrypted Tactical Radio, DR/Energy weapons 8), VTL. While in your armoured travel machine, you may avoid receiving the fatigued or unconscious conditions from taking damage to your wounds a number of times per scene equal to your starting action dice, and you gain Damage Resistance 10 against Stress damage.
(-3.0)   The disposition of each character who does not share your native culture and is aware of your Talent decreases by 4 grades.

I'm somewhat iffy on the cost of the travel machine - it's 9 points because that's what I had left to work with after apply all the other obvious qualities of the tentacled horror inside it. The DamRes and condition avoidance are intended to come from the fact that Daleks are hooked up to a life-support system that medicates them with manner of stims and relaxants as needed.

I've half a mind to toss it as an origin benefit and replace it with some other stuff like the bonus coup de grace and DR/Special characters

Darth Sephiroth
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 05:06:53 AM »

Just wondering which episode you're talking about.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 05:39:56 AM »

The Daleks. The story that permanently changed Doctor Who from its original remit as an infotainment program to educate kids about history to the BEM extravaganza we all know and love.

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »

I have to, for I am stuck in a glass case of emotion...

Ron Burgundy -- Reluctant Time Traveler
http://holycraphewasatimelordallalong.ytmnd.com/
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »

Hmm. I'm wondering how well it would work to treat the dalek as just a whole unit - we see the squids inside occassionally but mostly the big battle-salt shakers are what the word "Dalek" brings to mind. Go ahead an move their weaponry into a species feat to keep costs down (we see Daleks disarmed by time and misadventure often enough...).

I have to think a path of beautiful hate is lurking somewher inthe wings after the opening of this season. The Dalek Alignment ought to produce some alarming Priest characters with this Origin.

One way to scrounge up points might be to just make it a fused Origin. Monoculture - 14 point species and no talent allowed at all. The few offshoots we've seen could be feat based splinter races. Five "Color" feats for their latest incarnation. And maybe something for those poor buggers pretending to be WWII brit-battle-bots Cheesy. "Exerm- To Victory!"
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:02:46 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: