Author Topic: Shinobi 1 - A tapestry of lies and violence  (Read 10345 times)

Gatac

• Control
  • The power of Stark compels you!
    • View Profile
    • Robert's Place
Re: Shinobi 1 - A tapestry of lies and violence
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 08:25:29 AM »
Tuku glowers at Aiko, but when he looks like he's about to reply, Mina puts a hand on his shoulder.

"Shinju does not have an opera, I'm afraid," Mina says. "But we do have a local theater established by Hanse sailors twenty-three years ago, if you're in the mood for culture."
Tuku turns to Mina. "Really?" he whispers.
"Let's do our damn job and get paid," Mina whispers back through a forced smile. "But we are here for the baths!" she says in her normal guide-voice. "The baths! Did you know that every stone used in the construction of this building had to be imported? Shinju's natural volcanic rock is too porous for construction of this scale, which is why most buildings are constructed with wood."
"The natural wellsprings have been credited with 14 miracles since the baths were founded," Tuku jumps in. "The Shinju springs are actually the only location in the empire that are considered holy and have been consecrated both by Shinto and Hanse priests."
"And one day every three months, the baths are free to use," Mina concludes. "Unfortunately, today is not one of those days, but if you stay in Shinju for a bit, you may be able to treat yourself to a free visit!"

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »
There's a little voice in Aiko's head that wishes mayne Mina had ended up her guide instead of her boyfriend, but the die has been cast on that one. And it could be worse -- she might be fighting ninja death squads instead of dealing with the clearly entrenched bone of contention between the two of them.

"Yes, baths now, culture later," she says. "Some of us desperately need to relax in some nice hot water and maybe have one of those miracles happen."

Gatac

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Robert's Place
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
For obvious reasons, Mina takes the two of you deeper into the baths while Tuku stays behind. Once you're out of his earshot, she speaks up again.

"I have to apologize for my boyfriend," Mina says. "He's a little...overprotective." She leaves it at that, though.

Soon, you come to the changing rooms, where a variety of women in a variety of states of undress are both getting ready to get into the baths and getting dressed to leave. While you still wonder about the security of the accommodations for your belongings - Open shelves? Really? - a mousy little woman who's at least a head smaller than even Mina walks up to you and promptly makes herself even smaller by bowing to you.

"Hello and welcome," she says. "Please hand over your weapons and leave your clothes on the shelves. Thank you!"

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 06:57:38 PM »
...like Hel I will.

"..."

Attempting to hold back a pair of Daggers in her otherwise mountainous pile of weapons (8 not counting throwing knives or arrows!) by concealing them in towels or sponges or the like Jett makes an untrained Prestidigitation roll.
Spoiler: show

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/1210725/
Ouch. Action dice!
+4
+2 -what the hell, throw the good dice after the bad.
+5.

Total Conceal action: 19.
3 AD spent, roll log here: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/1210730/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:27:17 PM by Valentina »

Gatac

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Robert's Place
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 09:38:46 AM »
Spoiler: Bath Attendant's Notice • show

Jett starts handing over her weapons with one hand while grabbing towels with the other; under the weight of her surprisingly numerous arsenal, and the quick moves of her hands, the bath attendant quickly loses track and fails to see the pair of daggers Jett managed to fold into her towels.

"Thank you!" the attendant says, then turns to Aiko. "Please hand over your weapons and leave your clothes on the shelves. Thank you!"

Gatac

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Robert's Place
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »
Aiko begrudgingly does as the attendant tells her; Mina waits for you to undress, then leads you into the baths proper. You find yourself in a large stone hall, with a central pool of steaming warm water in the middle. Split off to the sides are about a half-dozen niches, some of which hold smaller pools of water, some just include benches, and others have a metal pan with glowing hot rocks in them heating them further.

"Isn't it great?" Mina beams. "Just the place to relax in after a long day of -"
"You bitch!" comes a shout from behind. Before you can properly see what's going on, someone runs up from behind and tackles Mina. Mina only gets off a surprised yelp before both she and her attacker splash into the central pool, leading the other women to flee shouting from the scene.

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »
"And this is why we can't have nice things," Aiko mutters irritably as she enters the pool and wades towards the scene of the conflict. Looks like I'm going to have to smack a bitch. And fuck me but I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »
Y'know what Bjorn? Guardswoman has this nailed down.
Well, she's at least moving like she does.

"...."

Jett piles her towels next to the pool edge, except for a couple of rather rigid ones she's planning on "sitting on," and sliiiiiiiides in with a clear intention of making herself into a kind of Stinking Gaijin Broth.

As a kind of afterthought she adds, "there might be more; keep your head Guard-girl."

Spoiler: show

Somehow that kind of sounds like really good advice...

Aiko gained Pathfinder Basics: Plains!
Aiko got +2 to Notice!
It's Super Effective!

Also, although she has spoken and thus given any additional trouble warning of her presence, Jette decides that the copious steam and swirling water might just be potentially concealing enough to attempt to Take 10 for a 26 Sneak,

No reason some much desired bathing couldn't be combined with some prudent positioning.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:31:11 PM by Valentina »

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
Spoiler: Feel free to ignore this Gman, but what the heck, it seemed a good idea at the time... • show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBNcjvxLfFc

You encounter a wild EVIL-EX
Who do you choose?

Player 1 chooses AIKO

AIKO uses GRAPPLE: 1d20+12=22
EVIL-EX attempts to EVADE: 1d20=7
EVIL-EX is held

EVIL-EX uses BREAK FREE: 1d20=3
But, it's not very effective...: 1d20+12=28
EVIL-EX is pinned

AIKO uses REPEATEDLY HIT THE EVIL EX IN THE FACE WITH THE POOL SURFACE (PUMMEL): 3d4+9=16
It's super effective: 1d20=12 vs dc 18
EVIL-EX is fatigued

EVIL-EX uses BREAK FREE: 1d20=3
But it fails...: 1d20+12=18
EVIL-EX is pinned

AIKO uses SUBMERGE (PUMMEL): 3d4+9=14
It's super effective: 1d20=2 vs dc 17
EVIL-EX is double fatigued

EVIL-EX uses LEMME GO BITCH
AIKO counters with DEMAND ANSWERS WITH EXTREME MENACE

EVIL-EX surrenders!

AIKO has beaten EVIL-EX
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:02:28 AM by Mister Andersen »

Gatac

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Robert's Place
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2013, 07:31:40 AM »
(Rolling with Mr. A's version because he is fun and amuses me greatly)

After several near-drownings, the assailant stops flailing and, in between gasps for air, mewls what passes for a note of surrender. Now that the blur of action is over, you can see that it's actually a woman with short-cropped hair and a rather dramatic scar running over her left eye - which, on closer examination, appears to have been replaced with a painted glass marble. Despite the stereotypical "tough" cred implied by such an injury, however, the woman has the look (and fighting prowess) of a nigh-helpless waif.

"Please," she whimpers. "Please, you have to *cough* understand, she killed my mother..."

Mina wades closer, her face frozen in shock. "That is not!" she says, before realizing that she forgot a word or two there. "That's not what happened! I don't know what happened! I don't know who she is or what happened to her mother! I have no idea!"

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
Aiko throws up her hands in frustration at her life.

"Ordinarily, hanging around butt naked with a bunch of other..." -- she pauses for a beat trying to find the right word then goes with what she's got -- "women... in a spa would probably be a reasonably troublefree and probably even enjoyable way to spend an afternoon after a day of boat travel, industrial relations, and far too many people trying to beat up the people I'm relying on. I am noticing a distinct presence of trouble and lack of personal enjoyment right about now, so before I snap and start slaughtering the next person to look at me funny, how about you people tell me what the fuck is going on. Preferably before Auntie's goons -- because I'm going to guess this place pays protection money to her just like everyone else here -- or your boyfriend comes in to see what the fuss is about."

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
Very wisely Jett remains submerged, and does not look at Aiko funny.

Gatac

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Robert's Place
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »
"I told you, I don't -" Mina starts to say, then wades closer and looks at the scarred woman.

"Chiki," Mina says coldly. "You're Chiki."
"So glad you remember me, bitch!" Chiki spits. "Got yourself a bodyguard, huh? That's the first smart thing you did, the whole city will be after you when I tell them what you did!"
"I didn't do anything!" Mina says, then turns to Aiko before her puzzlement becomes a question. "Chiki is Auntie's daughter. She left two years ago, I didn't know she was back."
"You snake!" Chiki shouts, thrashing in the water a bit but stopping her struggle when Aiko's look turns to 'Don't make me drown you again'. "You have no right to speak of her!" Chiki says. "Murderer!"

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »
Aiko looks at Mina then back to her captive with a mixture of exasperation and bemusement.

"If Mina's a murderer, Chiki, she's not a very good one. I met with Auntie this morning after that idiot Ox of hers got beaten unconscious after he made the mistake of trying to extort my guide."

She nods her head towards the taciturn Jett, who seems to have been fortunately overlooked by the chaos surrounding the ronin inquisitor. "With the exception of our friend behind me, Mina's pretty much the only person in this gods forsaken crapsack that I haven't had to either fight or wanted to slap a whole lot of sense into, so that's two things against you right now. But I'm a firm believer in everyone having their say, so you're going to calmly sit down here in this nice relaxing spa and tell us -- calmly -- your story from the beginning. And you'd better fucking make sure you don't rack up another black mark. I'm mildly annoyed now, and you really wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 04:21:15 PM »
Deciding an introduction is order, Jett elects to silently goose Chiki, and when noticed she stares at Chiki with an expression of "I politely request you resist the impulse to become a problem" while remaining submerged.

"....."

Bubbles float up without comment.

When it's apparent Chiki's not the vanguard of some Naked Urchin Assassination Squad Jett will surface and get about the business of properly washing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:23:30 PM by Valentina »