Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 09:34:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Fiasco expressions of interest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fiasco expressions of interest  (Read 152 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:47:30 AM »

Has anyone played the Fiasco RPG or is interested in trying a game?

For those unfamiliar, Fiasco is an entirely narrative GM-less game inspired by cinematic tales of capers gone disastrously wrong – think films like Blood Simple, Fargo, The Way of the Gun, Burn After Reading, Pulp Fiction, and A Simple Plan. You play people with powerful ambition and poor impulse control. There will be big dreams and flawed execution. It won’t go well for them, to put it mildly, and in the end it will probably collapse into a glorious heap of jealousy, murder, and recrimination. Lives and reputations will be lost, painful wisdom will be gained, and if you are really lucky, your character just might end up back where they started.

It starts with The Setup where d6s are used to establish a web of relationships, needs, locations, and objects binding the characters together, then kicks into Act One which has 2 scenes per participant that the person whose turn it is can either establish or resolve for good or for ill, which is followed by The Tilt where something new and unstable is injected into the story, and then Act Two which is structured identically to the first but building towards The Aftermath.

Everyone starts with 4 dice, 2 black and 2 white, that are fed into a communal pool. The number and colour of dice each people end up with as the game goes on is important for determining the Tilt and the Aftermath; there's a tactical component in play here which means folks won't necessarily end up with equal numbers depending on how much everyone wants to champion their character or mess with another.

When it is your turn, your character is in the spotlight; choose to Establish or Resolve the scene.

If you are Establishing, create a scene. If you are Resolving, ask your friends to create a scene for your character.
If you Established, your friends will give you a white or black die, signaling a positive or negative outcome for your character, but if you chose to Resolve you pick the die and the outcome of the situation they put you in.

If it is Act One, hand the die to another player. If it is Act Two, keep the die for yourself.

At the end of each act, everyone rolls each colour group of the dice they have in front of them, subtracting the smaller number from the bigger; high differences are desireable as they lead to favourable outcomes while lower results, not so much. The players with the highest balck and white values choose the Tilt, while for the aftermath the higher colour result fo each player determines whether their character's outcome is predominantly physical (black) or social (white).

I should point out I've never played this before but I've heard a lot of good things about it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:54:20 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »

Fiasco it's a wonderful game, and I totally recommend you to give it a try. I dont play Pbp games, (not my cup of tea) but I think that Fiasco would work quite well.

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: