Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 09:17:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Dice Pools in combat, 10 limit query (complications query too)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dice Pools in combat, 10 limit query (complications query too)  (Read 912 times)
Leviathan
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »

Ahoy, just reading through the rules and I've noticed something.

Typically when forming a dice pool you're at max 10 dice, and extras become free nudges.
However in the Conflict section it's specifying max 10 dice and the rest become defense dice, with no reference to being able to convert them into extra nudges.

Does this mean:
a) No free nudges for extra dice in combat, you have to convert the rest to defense
b) You can choose to convert extra dice to free nudges *or* defense dice

*Edit*

Figured I'd ask this one as well Smiley

Complications in combat, please correct me if I'm wrong, but near as I can tell they work like this:

NPC attacks PC, PC assigns some defense dice to dodge
PC gets a pair of 5s, NPC gets no pairs and one nudge
NPC just failed by an Outcome of Four
PC now gets to declare four points worth of complications to the NPC, eg "The guard trips as he attacks, accidentally letting go of the spear and send it sailing across the room and under a couch" (In this case one point loses him the spear, make it two because he'll need to get up and then across the room [one action in and of itself] and dig it out from under the couch [second action], and the remaining two drop his Defense dice as he's off balance)

And now for a general combat check, this all sound about right?

PC then attacks the poor NPC
PC gets a pair of 3s and two nudges, NPC gets nothing again
PC's attack hits for standard damage and they can assign the two nudges to damage, or keep his defense dice low by knocking two off it again (or plenty of other things).
Instead the PC decides some flair is in order, slicing open the guard's uniform in the shape of a "Z" on their chest (one nudge for dramatic flair), and with Narrator permission uses the other nudge to drop the NPC's Willpower by one because he's so embarrassed by his performance.

NPC spends his next action getting up and crossing the room.
PC, rather than killing off the guard, decides to strike a dramatic pose, point at the "Z" on the guard's chest and goes "Yes! It is I! You do not want to fight me guardsman, run while you still can", rolling Influence against the guard's Wits.
Guard fails badly enough to drop his Willpower to zero, and immediately bolts for his life.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:31:21 PM by Leviathan » Logged
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:33:34 PM »

No free nudges for non savants in combat.

Otherwise that seems right.  I always forget to add complications in combat...
Leviathan
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:23:25 AM »

Sweet Smiley
And that would be how they patched the "Feruchemist hulk kills anything in one punch" thing that I found during V1 of the rules. Awesomeness.

Figured I should get my head fully around the rules before my game starts Wink
merashin
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:34:48 AM »

Well, that solves the problem of the 14 year old girl with physique 4 and pewter 11 in the game I'm in (6 pewter and a spike for 5).
ReaderAt2046
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »

Well, that solves the problem of the 14 year old girl with physique 4 and pewter 11 in the game I'm in (6 pewter and a spike for 5).

Actually, she would get 1 free nudge on all pewter rolls (RAW state that if a character has an Allomancy rating greater than 10 (due to Hemalurgy, since that can't happen naturally), all extra dice are converted to Nudges.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: