Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 17, 2014, 11:03:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  DR Calculation Check
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DR Calculation Check  (Read 1161 times)
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:55:24 AM »

Hi, I just wanted to check the DR of a character in my current game.

14th Level Soldier with:
Moderate Platemail 5
Heavy Fittings +2
Fortunes of War II +2
Armour Basics/Mastery/Supremacy +2

Total DR 11

Is this correct? Does Fortunes of War stack with the armour (I believe it does)? This seems like a very high value, especially considering that killing machine the Tarasque is only listed as having DR 10.  Undecided
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:25:54 AM »

Looks right, it may seem like a lot at first glance- and it certainly is an effective amount, but it's far from insurmountable. The Tarrasque still has at least one thing over this guy, though- his armor can't be ignored by a simple Called Shot trick.
Takeru
Agent

Mayor Janus of Whitestone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:57:46 PM »

Incredibly high DR is very very wonderful, but an Assassin with a Stiletto would be burning through all but 1 point of it. If he's got an upgraded stiletto? Your armor is now a hindrance to your fighting capabilities due to what it does to your defense.

Every fighting style has a counter in Fantasy Craft and I love it. You will truly laugh off all but the most dedicated or skilled of combatants, so you have almost nothing to fear from most Standard Enemies. Keep an eye out for Specials though, because that armor can be a hindrance if it's hurting your Defense and they have ways through your DR.

You can literally make Mike Haggar in Fantasy Craft. I love this system.
Atr
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:01:17 AM »

Add Shield Mastery feat to that soldier and then you'll have a problem.

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »

Incredibly high DR is very very wonderful, but an Assassin with a Stiletto would be burning through all but 1 point of it. If he's got an upgraded stiletto? Your armor is now a hindrance to your fighting capabilities due to what it does to your defense.

Every fighting style has a counter in Fantasy Craft and I love it. You will truly laugh off all but the most dedicated or skilled of combatants, so you have almost nothing to fear from most Standard Enemies. Keep an eye out for Specials though, because that armor can be a hindrance if it's hurting your Defense and they have ways through your DR.

Electrical damage being about the easiest (unless, of course, you're playing with the "Faraday Suit" campaign property [/shameless self-linkage])
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 01:44:54 AM »

Trip him. A lot of armor benfits go away when you're sprawled...

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »

Can you give an example please? I'm struggling to find any benefit that is lost.
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:31:20 AM »

Can you give an example please? I'm struggling to find any benefit that is lost.

Not -too- much is lost when sprawled, but DR from Armor is halved:
Quote from: Pg 173, under Damage Reduction (DR):
Damage  Reduction  granted  by the armor. This decreases to 1/2 (rounded up) when the wearer  is held, helpless, pinned, sprawled, or unconscious.

Fortunes of War wouldn't be affected, but the Armor feats and fittings very likely would, dropping his DR by 4- DR 7 is still pretty decent, however.

You could, of course, always just throw Acid at him, all those damage saves the armor gets aren't worth a whole lot in that case.
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »

Interesting, thanks. I'd missed the whole halving thing.  Embarrassed
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »

A sniper with a heavy crossbow or an arbelast will mess him up as well.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: