Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 06:56:40 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Shields and Reactions.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shields and Reactions.  (Read 886 times)
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »

I'm having trouble figuring out how Shields work.

Do they grant dice like Electrum(Dice granted the first time Defense Dice are granted in a given round) or do they grant dice like Feruchemical Zinc.  Dice that apply to every defensive roll and reaction throughout the conflict?

Secondly Iron and Steel reaction rolls say that if three nudges are rolled you can redirect the attack at a new target that isn't the attacker.  Is this like catching a beat.  Do you use action dice to make an attack roll or do you use the reaction roll as the attack?

Last thing-Someday Feruchemical Zinc, Allomatic Steel/Iron Twinborn will be super awesome at using reaction rolls because they can always manage 10 dice reaction rolls.  If I have an Inquisitor that does this with Steel 7 and 6 defense dice for every reaction and defense roll(spent 60 Zinc Charges)  Are the two dice wasted or are they nudges?
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:32:38 PM »

I'm having trouble figuring out how Shields work.

Do they grant dice like Electrum(Dice granted the first time Defense Dice are granted in a given round) or do they grant dice like Feruchemical Zinc.  Dice that apply to every defensive roll and reaction throughout the conflict?

They apply to every defensive roll - so if you have a large shield, you automatically gain 2 dice every time you defend.

Secondly Iron and Steel reaction rolls say that if three nudges are rolled you can redirect the attack at a new target that isn't the attacker.  Is this like catching a beat.  Do you use action dice to make an attack roll or do you use the reaction roll as the attack?

This is not like catching a Beat - you don't necessarily have to have the dice on hand. In this case I would treat it like this: 1) roll reaction, 2) tally whether you have enough Nudges, 3) choose a new target to take the exact same attack you suffered instead. Thus, if they wanted to defend or react themselves, they could do so using the original attack's Result. The Nudges, rather than your own roll, are the cost of making this attack go against someone else.

Last thing-Someday Feruchemical Zinc, Allomatic Steel/Iron Twinborn will be super awesome at using reaction rolls because they can always manage 10 dice reaction rolls.  If I have an Inquisitor that does this with Steel 7 and 6 defense dice for every reaction and defense roll(spent 60 Zinc Charges)  Are the two dice wasted or are they nudges?

I would follow the line in those Stunts about adding Action or Defense dice, which clearly states you can't go above 10 dice as usual. My suggestion to the dude would not be to waste so many charges Smiley

Leviathan
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:24:59 AM »

They apply to every defensive roll - so if you have a large shield, you automatically gain 2 dice every time you defend.

Hrm. So someone with a shield *always* gets to defend against an attack, even if they have no defense dice left, or choose not to spend any?
Neat Smiley
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »

Wait...  Does the reaction roll need to have succeeded to redirect?  Or does it just need 3 nudges?

Lastly can steel reaction rolls be used against any attacks (using metal objects) or do they have to be attacks directed at you?  Because having a character who's whole point is to defend the party would be really fun and a great use of resources.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »

Wait...  Does the reaction roll need to have succeeded to redirect?  Or does it just need 3 nudges?

It absolutely needs to succeed, just like any Defense roll - if you fail, your Nudges would be used to prevent Complications just like any other roll. That's why the text says "If your Result beats the attacker's Result, you may..." - the core function of these Reactions is to "block" an attack from a metal weapon, and if you also get 3 Nudges you get to point that attack against someone else. Narratively, the way I see it is most of the time, a Coinshot is just barely altering an attack's trajectory to make it miss; if they exert lots of control (e.g. Nudges) they can turn that attack at 90 degrees or more to hit someone else.

Lastly can steel reaction rolls be used against any attacks (using metal objects) or do they have to be attacks directed at you?  Because having a character who's whole point is to defend the party would be really fun and a great use of resources.

Any attacks - this is deliberate since this is why Lurchers are included in teams most times Smiley The only limitations I would put on that would be you can't redirect attacks which are outside the range of your Allomancy.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: