Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2014, 10:12:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Epoch Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Epoch Campaign  (Read 794 times)
jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:13:13 AM »

So after mulling it around for a while I'm building my way towards an Epoch setting campaign, and I thought I'd tap this forum up for some thoughts and musings.

1)How large are the known lands of Tuwa? Does the map represent an area the size of France, or Texas, or the Russian Steppes?

2)The actions of the Keepers have helped to advance the Great Glacier, but was it always there before? Or was there a larger expanse of water or land that's since been hidden. Did anyone cross the whatever-was-there-before in stories of old, and return?

3)The Children of the Dawn are referred to collectively, but there are several mentions of the Free Tribes. Are these several distinct "political" entities, or just loose collections based on familial ties? And how populous is Tuwa?

4)Should the elha be hated and despised, as they are too far along the road to ruin; or can they be return to the ways of the Free Tribes?

5)Lastly, I have a thought to have the lands outside of Tuwa populated with other cultures, either not affected by the Ghula, or starting to get there own version of it. Is it possible to integrate these outsiders into the longer story arc, or will that detract from the theme of Tuwa too much?

As always your thoughts/opinions/idea are welcomed!

James
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:14:40 AM »

My off the cuff response is the answer to these questions is whatever you want it to be as long ads you're consistent.
For example:
If you want a campaign focusing on the pollitics of uniting tribes against the invaders then the map could be about the size of France.
If your campaign is an epic quest across the known world steadily discovering the threat of the invaders and finally at the end of the quest confronting them, well then the map could be an area the size of north America.

So before we go further what is your campaign like?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
jameswllorimer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »

My off the cuff response is the answer to these questions is whatever you want it to be as long ads you're consistent.
For example:
If you want a campaign focusing on the pollitics of uniting tribes against the invaders then the map could be about the size of France.
If your campaign is an epic quest across the known world steadily discovering the threat of the invaders and finally at the end of the quest confronting them, well then the map could be an area the size of north America.

So before we go further what is your campaign like?

I realise that choosing your world and then sticking with it, is one of the major part of your campaign choice as a GM. What I meant, and perhaps didn't make clear was that I was trying to see how other GMs had done it, as I'm not that confident on making a good "sword and sorcery" styled campaign/world.

I'd like to steer of the political angle (perhaps only one mission of that sort throughout the campaign). I'd much rather focus on the moral ambiguity, the struggle and the overwhelming threat.

My questions were to see if and how others had challenged these questions. I'd also like to emphasise the difference in the how each side achieves it's goals with strong corrupting magic for the Ghula (already built in); and tapping other aspects of the savage barbarian (like the Scarification Feats, Skinwalkers and the Astral magic on the wiki to push the "in line with nature").

So anyone had any fun with the Epoch setting in this way? (Alex??)
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »

1)How large are the known lands of Tuwa? Does the map represent an area the size of France, or Texas, or the Russian Steppes?

Don't know, exactly. I based Tuwa on both the Russian Steppe and the Great Plains of the US, prior to white men's arrival. So they're big and broad with lots of spaces to fill in.

2)The actions of the Keepers have helped to advance the Great Glacier, but was it always there before? Or was there a larger expanse of water or land that's since been hidden. Did anyone cross the whatever-was-there-before in stories of old, and return?

The Great Glacier has grown exponentially with the arrival of the Keepers - it is in fact their harbinger. I would say the Free Peoples do not know what's on the other side.

3)The Children of the Dawn are referred to collectively, but there are several mentions of the Free Tribes. Are these several distinct "political" entities, or just loose collections based on familial ties? And how populous is Tuwa?

The Free Tribes are the Tribe of the Hills, Forest, etc. etc. - all Free Peoples and Children of the Dawn. The Tribes in this case are races, who share a spiritual and genetic ancestry. I wouldn't really call them a political set of groups - that would reside in individual tribes/communities, some of which might be organized along spiritual and genetic lines.

Tuwa is not terribly populous. The Keepers are doing their best to see to that.

4)Should the elha be hated and despised, as they are too far along the road to ruin; or can they be return to the ways of the Free Tribes?

Elha are usually despised as cowards and sell-outs, but unless they are also Taken, they are not beyond spiritual redemption. Elha are more like "sheeple" who didn't have the will or strength of character to stand up for the Old Ways, rather than "bad guys." Though many are also informants and collaborators. 

5)Lastly, I have a thought to have the lands outside of Tuwa populated with other cultures, either not affected by the Ghula, or starting to get there own version of it. Is it possible to integrate these outsiders into the longer story arc, or will that detract from the theme of Tuwa too much?

That's an interesting idea, and I'd say go for it! FWIW, if I were to do something like that I would make sure this new region is geographically very different - the Free Peoples are nomads and have followed the Steppe as far as they can for centuries. Maybe having some people come from across the Giant's Teeth, like a combined "new tribe" of Saurians and Drakes or something like that could make some interesting new challenges for the Heroes or mix up the somewhat one-sided conflict in Tuwa...

SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »

Maybe having some people come from across the Giant's Teeth, like a combined "new tribe" of Saurians and Drakes or something like that could make some interesting new challenges for the Heroes or mix up the somewhat one-sided conflict in Tuwa...
Or as new, powerful allies for the Free People.  In case you want things to turn toward High Fantasy. Wink
jameswllorimer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 09:01:38 AM »

Don't know, exactly. I based Tuwa on both the Russian Steppe and the Great Plains of the US, prior to white men's arrival. So they're big and broad with lots of spaces to fill in.

I figured about as much, plenty of room to keep the wilderness wild!

The Great Glacier has grown exponentially with the arrival of the Keepers - it is in fact their harbinger. I would say the Free Peoples do not know what's on the other side.
I've had a further thought , tied in with the possibility that my group might eventual leave known Tuwa. That although most of west of Tuwa is glacial as the Keepers advance they bring with them the cold, turning the land from forest/plain to tundra then to arctic conditions. As you say it's there harbinger, and described right it should be a way to promote a pervading sense of threat.

That's an interesting idea, and I'd say go for it! FWIW, if I were to do something like that I would make sure this new region is geographically very different - the Free Peoples are nomads and have followed the Steppe as far as they can for centuries. Maybe having some people come from across the Giant's Teeth, like a combined "new tribe" of Saurians and Drakes or something like that could make some interesting new challenges for the Heroes or mix up the somewhat one-sided conflict in Tuwa...

I'll be honest, I don't want more races. One thing that I thought straight away with this setting is the small controlled amount of races, that are tied strongly (and brilliantly) into the mythic of the world.
My idea for the "outside world" was to have other versions of the current races that have either grown beyond The Free Tribes level of tech, or have a totally different culture base. Perhaps a civilised city state, or desert dwelling traders. It would ask the question of the Tribes - is there way still right in the face of something "better". I would only start to bring in the outside world towards the latter part of the campaign though to keep the Tuwa identity strong.

Anyone got any good sword and sorcery plot hooks then. Any good moral grey area stories (one with an elhe colloborator has come to mind)?
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »

Sword and Sorcery plots? You could peruse the classics. The Conan stories have short punchy plots readily converted to rpg. these are free at Gutenberg Australia. Go to link below scroll down to Howard.

http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#letterH

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: