Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 05:26:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Governments Should Fear Their People: Your Right To Vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Governments Should Fear Their People: Your Right To Vote  (Read 2116 times)
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »

Sheriffs in Arizona are based upon counties and handle law enforcement affairs outside the purview of cities and towns or in such locations where there are no other law enforcement. They also run the jail system. Prisons are handled on a federal level here unless they are corporatized like the Hawaii Prison that is 50 miles southeast of Phoenix.

A buddy of mine works there and said that Hawaii has outsourced the job to a corporation who built their state of the art prison in the Arizona desert because they are betting that a 300+ pound Samoan ain't going to take off running, especially in the summer heat.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »

New York State runs a whole mess of prisons ranging from minimum to maximum security.  NYC even has its own prison island.  (Riker's Island, for anyone who cares.)

Our sheriff generally handle evictions and warrants.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »

Register to vote.

If you've recently changed address, make sure your voter registration is up to date.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »

I'd like to point out that I'm 35, a natural born citizen and have lived in the US for considerably more than 14 years.  (For our non-US readers, that means I'm eligible to be President.)  So, if you find that you can't vote for either party - like me - you now have another choice.

But, regardless of your views, go vote.  The whole system breaks down if you don't.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 08:24:07 AM »

But, regardless of your views, go vote.  The whole system breaks down if you don't.
No, it really doesn't.

I have no idea how any politician can claim any sort of mandate, since they seldom have the support of more than a third of the population.  (Half the people show up to vote, so many political victors are not particularly popular.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »

Ah, yes, defeatism is the answer.   Roll Eyes

I know full well the system is broken.  But it's the system I have, so it's the system I'll use to try and effect change.  Ignoring the vote because you (rightly?) feel you can't effect the Federal system also means that you ignore the local election where you have a much better chance of changing something.

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »

I can safely that neither of the big Two is getting my vote for very basic reasons. I'm writing someone in this year.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »

I can safely that neither of the big Two is getting my vote for very basic reasons. I'm writing someone in this year.

Same here.

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 10:42:12 AM »

One broke his oath of office and the other said he would have as well. Then there is the mess of things that was made at the Convention and the way the process was totally screwed over by some people trying to guarantee there would be no dissent: not seating delegates because they would not vote a certain way, refusing to allow a potential nominee to be named, teleprompting/scripting victory on a measure when it was obviously not a clear victory for one side, and ripping signs out of delegates hands if they were not for the presumptive nominee.

Regardless the turnout, I'm changing parties after the election which is for the best overall.

I'm proud to say I'm Constitutionalist.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 05:40:05 PM »

It is also a quiet means of withholding consent from the government...

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »

It is also a quiet means of withholding consent from the government...

Sadly, we have no provision in the Constitution or under existing law that withholds legitimacy from the government if people do not vote.  If we did, I might agree with you.  As it stands, if only three people in the country vote, and two vote for the same guy, he wins.  Further, he would call it a landslide as he received 67% of the vote.*

Choosing not to participate is still a choice and, one that has no chance of changing the system.  There are other ways to change the system, I suppose ...

* Given that the Electoral College is still in force, I don't think we can actually DO this, but for the sake of argument ...

Gentry