Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2014, 10:59:25 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Governments Should Fear Their People: Your Right To Vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Governments Should Fear Their People: Your Right To Vote  (Read 2012 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »

Regardless of who you support, if any of you folks in the US are planing on voting this November you've got a rapidly diminishing window to ensure that your right to do so has not been curtailed by the Republican Party's actual, well documented, and sustained war on the rights and the ability of US citizens to do so.

If you or your loved ones are serving overseas, make sure that they have not been disenfranchised by acts such as Colorado's Secretary of State Scott Gessler ordering county clerks not to send ballots to deployed troops or “unlikely” (read: hispanic) voters.

In states that have brought in so called "anti-voter fraud" legislation, make sure you and your family have the government issued photo ID they require -- if you can get it, that is.

Make sure that your name hasn't been taken off the electoral roll because it just happens to be similar to a convicted criminal's and no one bother to verify it before striking it off.

And remember, the only people who have a right to see your ID are the officials inside the polling place.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »

Don't forget all the mischief they get up to when elected.

GO NEW YORK.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 05:56:43 PM »

Embedable voter registration form.

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »

Regardless of who you support, if any of you folks in the US are planing on voting this November you've got a rapidly diminishing window to ensure that your right to do so has not been curtailed by the Republican Party's actual, well documented, and sustained war on the rights and the ability of US citizens to do so.

If you or your loved ones are serving overseas, make sure that they have not been disenfranchised by acts such as Colorado's Secretary of State Scott Gessler ordering county clerks not to send ballots to deployed troops or “unlikely” (read: hispanic) voters.

In states that have brought in so called "anti-voter fraud" legislation, make sure you and your family have the government issued photo ID they require -- if you can get it, that is.

Make sure that your name hasn't been taken off the electoral roll because it just happens to be similar to a convicted criminal's and no one bother to verify it before striking it off.

And remember, the only people who have a right to see your ID are the officials inside the polling place.

Aye, thanks Mr. Anderson.
Yeahp. Real "Proud to be an American" kinda year it's been.  Angry
Fortunately I'm equal parts White and Registered so I'm not in danger of getting edged out.
I am however living in a very historically Blue state so the chances of my vote being of consequence are largely nil anyway.
Increasingly I'm for a Secession. Apparently we can't all get along, and if things get bloody when Obama wins then why not stop being neighbors?

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »

Has to make you wonder about the Mayan calendar as could possibly regard America? ... Massive change, the life-death-rebirth cycle, the current political atmosphere ...

Honestly, I would not mind if something happened to create an Etch-A-Sketch moment in Washington DC and we went back to the basics of the Constitution.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »

... we went back to the basics of the Constitution.
I'm really good with burning the entire CFR to the ground and starting again.  (No corruption in 75,000+ pages of tax code my ass.  Angry )

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 08:52:38 AM »

CFR?

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »

CFR?
Code of Federal Regulations

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »

Ah... yeah, there's a lot of changes that need to happen.

No member of Congress ever convicted of any crime should be able to retain their pension and medical benefits that they get having been a member of Congress. (Right know, the only way to lose it is to be convicted of treason ... so an embezzling pedophile of a former Congressman can rot in prison and still collect).

Kill and/or streamline any bureaucracy.

Re-emphasize "Promote the General Welfare"

Enforce the immigration laws yet also streamline the process for certain individuals over others

Outlaw lobbyists

Return any federal laws that were origainlly state laws but bumped up by judicial review back over to the States to decide for themselves

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »

Re-emphasize "Promote the General Welfare"
I'm on board, but the bureaucrats are going to fight this one hard.  Actually following it and the 10th amendment will kill most federal departments.  (That's a feature, if you ask me.)

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »

No, no it's not.

It would lead to an insane, unmanageable, and dangerous patchwork of laws and regulations, along with disenfranchising millions of people.

A whole lot, although not all, major domestic issues have far more to do with the ease at which ALEC and other rich and powerful interests can buy state governments.

The issues MR. A posted about (pervasive Republican election fraud, often with the help of the statehouse and at least once with the help of the SCOTUS) are directly the related to the lack of federal power. I think every state should be subject to Title V.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:20:29 AM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »

If you're going to fundamentally restructure America to be workable, just on a political level

1. Mandatory life-time voting. Once a citizen is on the Electoral Roll, they're there until they die, and they need to get off their arse once every 4 years to actually participate in the process of deciding who's running the country. Donkey vote, vote informsl, hell, write down your own name, but once they're at a poling place they might decide to take an actual interest.

2. Disband the Electoral College. It's a stupidly over-complicated system that has elected Presidents in contravention of the actual expressed desire of the country's populance. If you're going to keep it a State-based system -- which given that almost all other elections are held at the same time seems the simplest -- all you need to know is which candidate got the majority vote from each state, though you could just as easily go purely based on the actual votes themselves.

3. All elected representatives (as opposed to officaldom positions such as sherrifs, DAs and the like) should have the same 10 year / 2 consecutive full terms limitation as the office of the President. There needs to be a reasonably consistent churn. In the words of Dave, these people are just temps.

4. All state officials should be receiving exactly the same medical and financial benefits as the state provides to everyone else.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »

3. All elected representatives (as opposed to officaldom positions such as sherrifs, DAs and the like)

Most places those are elected too. Heck, most places we elect state and county judges and magistrates.

I am a big proponent of Aussie style show the hell up and sing the book or pay a fine and have your name published in the paper. You to vote, just sign the register.

Election day should be a holiday and multi-day voting should be required too.

Just remember folks, the people running the Republican party post Nixon don't want you to vote.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:45:50 AM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »

3. All elected representatives (as opposed to officaldom positions such as sherrifs, DAs and the like) should have the same 10 year / 2 consecutive full terms limitation as the office of the President. There needs to be a reasonably consistent churn. In the words of Dave, these people are just temps.
Sheriffs and DAs are generally elected, and no less deserving of churn than any other elected position.

In spite of the great mission confusion, sheriff and police departments are quite different.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 11:48:34 AM »

Sheriffs and DAs are generally elected, and no less deserving of churn than any other elected position.

In spite of the great mission confusion, sheriff and police departments are quite different.

Not to mention constibles, which are a third different thing in the US. And what they do varies from state to state/

A Sheriff in PA has a very different job, powers, and responsibilities than one in Arizona.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: