Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2014, 03:30:06 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Healing Action Dice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Healing Action Dice  (Read 658 times)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »

Recently, I have seen a number of comments - in various threads - about how "wasted" the Refresh action is.  Mostly this appears to be from the perspective of too weak.  I'm thinking about a house rule for those times when magic (or super-science) just isn't an option.

Just a Scratch
Sometimes all that blood isn't important.  After all, it's just a scratch.
Upon the successful completion of a Refresh action, the character rolls an action die and receives that many wounds plus half the normal vitality per level times the threat level.  Additionally, the character may loose one Graded condition.

Meh, the wording's not what I want but the gist if it is there.  (At least, I think it is given how addled my brain feels right now.)

Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »

So wounds=AD result and vitality= (roll/2 x level) x threat ?  So level 12, threat level 12, roll a 4......288 Vitality. Or is it roll/2 x threat? That seems more in line.

Also, the rules state you can't have a condition when you refresh.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »

Sorry, that wasn't very clear at all.  That's what I get for posting after midnight local time.

Roll the AD, gain that many wounds.
In addition gain half of your normal vitality (1/2 of 12 = 6 for soldier, etc.) x threat level.
Yes, RAW says you aren't supposed to have conditions; however, that's why I'm making this a Campaign Quality for those times when brushing off apparent death is cliche.  (Pretty much every 70's and 80's action film.)

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »

How about: Wounds equal to die result, and vitality equal to die result times class career level?

Ex:
A third level soldier spends and rolls an action die, result 4 (roll of 2 and a +2 modifier to action die results from an origin ability).
S/He gains 4 wounds and 12 vitality.

Not full healing from near death, but not 2 wounds and 4 vitality (which is less then a swing).  Might be a nice intermittent step between the current and the bulky version you're suggesting ludo?

EDIT: Oops.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:36:27 PM by Sletchman » Logged
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 01:02:02 PM »

I've got something along the lines of this tucked away in my notes

Second Wind (Refresh Trick): You may be targeted by a number of attacks per Refresh trick equal to the number of Basic Combat feats you possess and still spend and roll the action die to heal.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »

How about: Wounds equal to die result, and vitality equal to die result times class career level?

Ex:
A third level soldier spends and rolls an action die, result 4 (roll of 2 and a +2 modifier to action die results from an origin ability).
S/He gains 4 wounds and 12 vitality.

Not full healing from near death, but not 2 wounds and 4 vitality (which is less then a swing).  Might be a nice intermittent step between the current and the bulky version you're suggesting ludo?

I can live with this version.  It better evokes the feel of the work-a-day superhero anyway.  They CAN get beaten down, it just takes a while.

I've got something along the lines of this tucked away in my notes

Second Wind (Refresh Trick): You may be targeted by a number of attacks per Refresh trick equal to the number of Basic Combat feats you possess and still spend and roll the action die to heal.

I like that for my normal games but it's not exactly what I'm after here.  I'm more after the idea that after all the blood is spilled and the immediate threat is over that the hero can brush himself off and it'snowhere near as bad as we were led to believe.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »

Refresh (Full Initiative Action): You recover vitality points equal to half your Constitution score (round up).

That would make the cost paid in time (and only time) and make the benefit a fixed value, like most healing effects.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »

@ Morgenstern

I like that a lot.  Then, out of combat, they can spend an AD to patch up some Wounds if need be.

I think I'll keep the other as a Campaign Quality for some things though.

Still looking forward to the Big Damn Heroes stuff.

Gentry