Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 11:45:40 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  From the Ashes (IC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From the Ashes (IC)  (Read 8698 times)
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1630



View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2012, 03:02:59 AM »

Without being told to do so, the hired swords begin pulling the remnants of the previous camp into a small barricade around the rock ringed fire pit.  After a few moments, they split up and begin digging a latrine and cutting wood.

The sunlight continues sliding down the side of the mountain with the shadows growing ever larger.  There is a smell in the air that Bronn recognizes but can't immediately place.  Something from his past perhaps?

Baxton's tour of the area shows nothing in the way of folk and little in the way of animal life.

Brindlglib finds the instructions for the gun powder relatively straight forward.  Apparently the previous expedition had located a structural weakness that they believed could be opened with sufficient powder.  It may take some calculations but, it shouldn't be hard to open the way without bringing down the hillside.

Sidari is stuck with food preparation ... again; however, she notices some wild herbs that could spice up an otherwise bland soup.
Logged

spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2012, 08:10:59 AM »

Sidari does her best with the meal, taking her time and putting together the best she can, realizing that they may not get chance once they head inside.
She's not particularly worried about cooking duties, as the most junior member she had already drawn the conclusion that she'd be cooking, cleaning and probably patching clothes - fortunately she was good at it.

(click to show/hide)
Logged
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2012, 03:43:43 AM »

As the roads peter out and the world around him gets wilder Brindlglib thinks back longingly to the soft beds and warm fireside of the Inn…
(click to show/hide)

Brindlglib has turned out to be a better companion on the road than many would have expected. He fares the poor roads and rough country mostly by riding the baggage mule and conversing on numerous topics of interest. His is alert eyes discovering small details of the plants and animals around them that the others might have missed, details often captured as drawings on scratch parchment. His keen mind is obviously used to working long hours making his watch pass without complaint in education and entertainment of his watch-mates, teaching his companions to sew or carve, or demonstrating simple tricks of slight of hand. Though of little use for heavy lifting and tasks such as digging the latrine, he pitches in with mending tents and clothes, repairing saddlery and wooden tools. Everything he touches is returned with small details embroidered or carved patterns. Soon the whole camp is made more pleasant by the decorated touches in their surroundings and the gnome’s entertaining company.

(click to show/hide)


When the dishevelled camp comes into sight the little man looks over his tinited specticles and tut-tuts “well, well this is a disgrace to good equipment, no doubt the tents are torn and the tools rusty. I shall be busy here I can see on account of slouch-bottoms who take too little care”

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2012, 02:15:13 AM »

Once the camp is set up and the area surveyed, Bronn addresses everyone at the evening meal.

"Tomorrow will be a long day. It looks like our sponsor want us to create a new path with that powder keg over there. Brin, I trust you have read over the instructions and know what to do? How long will it take to set up?"

"Once that path is made, we will have to be on guard immediately. Who knows what's going to be in that canyon? There should be plenty of wild creatures left, unlike here, where the delvers have worn a path into the area. I want everybody alert and in peak condition."

"So that means regular watches tonight, two men... er.. people to a shift, and make sure you get enough sleep. Lief and Brin go first, Ronan and Baxton are second, and Sidari and I will take the last shift."

"Oh, and this is some great stew. You should reconsider your cooking career, Sidari."
Logged
spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »

Sidari blushes at the compliment, she's always been proud of things she's good at. She'll spend some time talking to (annoying?) Brindlglib with seemingly endless questions, having seen his needlework on the trip she's actually quite jealous, as it makes her own efforts (often complimented) seem amateurish by comparison. Rather than try to make an enemy she drives herself to learn all she can.
"Do you know what the powder's made of?"
"How much of the canyon do you think it will bring down?"
"How get your stitches so small"
"What tools do you use to make those etchings."
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1630



View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2012, 03:52:59 AM »

The camp settles in as true night falls.  The shadows hungrily fill in the gaps left by the final gasp of twilight.  A snore emerges from the sleeping form of Ronan who seems to have dropped off instantly after thanking Sidari for a wonderful meal.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Logged

Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2012, 02:34:34 AM »


Over the coarse of the outward journey Brindlglib is pleased to answer Sidari’s queries at length decribing the method, its history, usages, and trivia. Indeed rather than annoyed the gnome seems pleased to have someone take an interest in his skills and knowledge. Indeed Sidari’s biggest problem might be finding the endurance to listen to the gnome’s long lectures. One night after showing Sidari a few tricks for small stitching he comments “Trade secrets are for tradesmen not scholars.” .
When inspecting the fire-barrel and explanatory note he answers Sidar’s questions as best he can and honestly.
“I’m afraid my knowledge of Chymistry, at least of compounds beyond alloys and tempers of the metals, is not my strongest suite, perhaps when we return to civilisation we should endeavour to discover the composition together.

(click to show/hide)

Soon after their arrival Brindlglib approaches Bronn “The last people here left in a something of a rush, now I would not want you to consider me a blowhard set to tell you your professional business, however taking measures to ensure increased vigilance and appropriate defensive precautions, whatever they might be, might be initiatives worth considering in light of my observations.” The others may notice that the little gnome seems a little nervous his eyes darting about and how he steps under cover whenever there is an unexpected loud noise.

When Sidari starts to cook Brindlglib, wordlessly for once, pitches in his hands moving to fast to follow as he cuts the vegetables, brought from the store of fresh produce the gnome requested, while he watches everything Sidari does with a keen eye.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1630



View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2012, 02:21:30 AM »

As the night settles in, the lack of both birdsong and the chittering of insects is disconcerting.  Each watch is on it's guard.

The middle of Sidari and Bronn's watch is cut short by the howl of something inhuman.  There is a blur of motion and something large, dark and vaguely feline rushes into the camp easily clearing the make-shift barricade.

Whatever the large thing is, it takes a swipe at Bronn with a meaty paw; however, it not only misses but seems to be off balance.

Logged

spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2012, 04:48:09 AM »

Sidari's watch see's her unusually quiet, she's both nervous and trying to prove herself to Bronn, Bronn starts to react before Sidari is even aware of the swift feline shadow, and she is momentarily astounded by the speed and grace the large man acts with. She quickly recovers her composure and calls out for the others "Awake, intruders!", though after the sound of the firearm ringing through the night air, she's not sure it will make any difference.

Edited to Adjust for Bronn's superior initiative.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:10:15 AM by spinningdice » Logged
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Sidari is surprised at how fast a big man like Bronn can move! Before the cat even reaches him, he has stood and raised the pistol from his lap. He nimbly dodges the feline's swipe and pushes it off-balance, then fires his gun at it as it drops. Without bothering to see if he hit, he then drops onto the big cat and drive the spike on his vambrace savagely into the cat.

The report of the firearm rolls off the nearby hills and adds to Sidari's effort to wake the rest of the crew.
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1630



View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »

Bronn's eyes instantly adjust as the large blur leaps over the impromptu barricade.  The large cat-like beast attacks but misses and Bronn's instinctc cause him to step into the beast.  In a rather un-cat-like act, it falls over and fails to rise.  Bronn's a touch too quick on the draw with his pistol and misses.  The report of the firearm instantly awakens the crew.  As Bronn drop onto the large cat, he can feel the spike pentrate the skin of the beast but somehow the feeling is off.  Almost as if it was resisting his attack.

Sidari is momentarily stunned but is able to gather her wits.

Brindlglib is treated to a view of of Bronn falling on a large black beast.  However, his confusion as to why Bronn would be doing this disappears when he finds himself screaming with what can only be described as a vice with teeth clamps onto his head.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:10:17 PM by ludomastro » Logged

MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2012, 02:11:31 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Bronn fights like a wild beast, tumbling over the ground with the feline, ramming his spurs over and over into the big cat until he is covered with its blood and gore. He is completely oblivious to everything else.
Logged
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2012, 02:15:03 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1630



View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »

(click to show/hide)
Logged

spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2012, 04:40:13 AM »

Not entirely sure of the situation and regardless it may change as initiative comes up, action's after the spoilertag in case I don't get chance to post again later.

(click to show/hide)
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!