Author Topic: From the Ashes (IC)  (Read 17445 times)

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2137
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »
Without being told to do so, the hired swords begin pulling the remnants of the previous camp into a small barricade around the rock ringed fire pit.  After a few moments, they split up and begin digging a latrine and cutting wood.

The sunlight continues sliding down the side of the mountain with the shadows growing ever larger.  There is a smell in the air that Bronn recognizes but can't immediately place.  Something from his past perhaps?

Baxton's tour of the area shows nothing in the way of folk and little in the way of animal life.

Brindlglib finds the instructions for the gun powder relatively straight forward.  Apparently the previous expedition had located a structural weakness that they believed could be opened with sufficient powder.  It may take some calculations but, it shouldn't be hard to open the way without bringing down the hillside.

Sidari is stuck with food preparation ... again; however, she notices some wild herbs that could spice up an otherwise bland soup.

spinningdice

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1455
  • The power of the Dice compels you!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2012, 05:10:59 AM »
Sidari does her best with the meal, taking her time and putting together the best she can, realizing that they may not get chance once they head inside.
She's not particularly worried about cooking duties, as the most junior member she had already drawn the conclusion that she'd be cooking, cleaning and probably patching clothes - fortunately she was good at it.

Spoiler: rules and pointless die rolling • show

Officially, can't craft food (or anything) in less than a days work, but I'll make a roll anyway. Either trying to improve 'rations' to 'Filling Food', or Improvise Item check, if you'd rather, since it's only 7D complexity.
Anyway - it's largely academic as we're not likely to do anything much beyond resting in the 8 hours it lasts.
- though i did make an astounding roll:
Craft(Cooking) check (1d20+8=28)

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1948
  • AKA: Coronoides
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2012, 12:43:43 AM »
As the roads peter out and the world around him gets wilder Brindlglib thinks back longingly to the soft beds and warm fireside of the Inn…
Spoiler: Flashback • show

“A tale it is then, and one that may be of use,…” Brindlglib spins a tale around the groups travel playing up the mysterious singing of the cats and the mauled cattle. Where events unfolded without him he is careful to imply that the cleverness and prowess of his companions may have been a deciding factor. For example he will say that Bronn returned to the Inn with blood and dirt on his hands and declared great cats were roaming the land not witches. He is also careful to mention his gift of the knife to Bronn.

Impress/Influence. I have not added his appearance +1 please apply it if Brindlglib’s neat groomed gentlemanly presentation makes the pech inclined to listen to him.
impress (1d20+6=9)
Nup, they probably aren’t impressed with our minimal exploits so far.

His tale done he listens intently to the pechs’ as they related their story then casually asks questions of them encouraging them to reveal more.

Impress/persuade
1d20+6=15
If you wish we can continue the night in the tavern as flashbacks within spoiler tags.


Brindlglib has turned out to be a better companion on the road than many would have expected. He fares the poor roads and rough country mostly by riding the baggage mule and conversing on numerous topics of interest. His is alert eyes discovering small details of the plants and animals around them that the others might have missed, details often captured as drawings on scratch parchment. His keen mind is obviously used to working long hours making his watch pass without complaint in education and entertainment of his watch-mates, teaching his companions to sew or carve, or demonstrating simple tricks of slight of hand. Though of little use for heavy lifting and tasks such as digging the latrine, he pitches in with mending tents and clothes, repairing saddlery and wooden tools. Everything he touches is returned with small details embroidered or carved patterns. Soon the whole camp is made more pleasant by the decorated touches in their surroundings and the gnome’s entertaining company.

Spoiler: show

Skill check to represent senses during the journey
1d20+5=20

Watches and such are an ‘in story’ way of explaining:
Teacher: as free action grant your teammates 1 of your Basic Skill Mastery feats until the end of the scene. (Basic Skill Mastery: Tinker (Crafting, Prestidigitation)).




When the dishevelled camp comes into sight the little man looks over his tinited specticles and tut-tuts “well, well this is a disgrace to good equipment, no doubt the tents are torn and the tools rusty. I shall be busy here I can see on account of slouch-bottoms who take too little care”

Spoiler: show

do the gnomes keen eyes and ears spot anything amiss when he first arrives and glances about:
Notice +5
1d20+5=16

and later as he busies about
Search +8
1d20+8=22


"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Also check out RPG Review:
http://rpgreview.net

MikeS

  • Operative
  • ****
  • Posts: 283
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2012, 11:15:13 PM »
Once the camp is set up and the area surveyed, Bronn addresses everyone at the evening meal.

"Tomorrow will be a long day. It looks like our sponsor want us to create a new path with that powder keg over there. Brin, I trust you have read over the instructions and know what to do? How long will it take to set up?"

"Once that path is made, we will have to be on guard immediately. Who knows what's going to be in that canyon? There should be plenty of wild creatures left, unlike here, where the delvers have worn a path into the area. I want everybody alert and in peak condition."

"So that means regular watches tonight, two men... er.. people to a shift, and make sure you get enough sleep. Lief and Brin go first, Ronan and Baxton are second, and Sidari and I will take the last shift."

"Oh, and this is some great stew. You should reconsider your cooking career, Sidari."

spinningdice

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1455
  • The power of the Dice compels you!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
Sidari blushes at the compliment, she's always been proud of things she's good at. She'll spend some time talking to (annoying?) Brindlglib with seemingly endless questions, having seen his needlework on the trip she's actually quite jealous, as it makes her own efforts (often complimented) seem amateurish by comparison. Rather than try to make an enemy she drives herself to learn all she can.
"Do you know what the powder's made of?"
"How much of the canyon do you think it will bring down?"
"How get your stitches so small"
"What tools do you use to make those etchings."

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2137
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2012, 12:52:59 AM »
The camp settles in as true night falls.  The shadows hungrily fill in the gaps left by the final gasp of twilight.  A snore emerges from the sleeping form of Ronan who seems to have dropped off instantly after thanking Sidari for a wonderful meal.

Spoiler: Not quite pointless die rolling • show

RAW may have the rules, but a good cook is a good cook.  Everyone who ate the stew gains the benefit of Filling Food.

Spoiler: Flashback and other Gnomish things • show

It becomes painfully obvious to Brindlglib that his story isn't having the desired effect on the Pech though they do listen respectfully.  "You may have missed your calling as a bard there friend.  But a deal is a deal and we agreed on a story for a story."

Brindlglib's subsequent attempts at continuing the communication are met with extremely talkative Pech.  They share the area they were exploring, which seems to be off the beaten path and that their employer wants to remain nameless thought at that, the leader steers conversation back to the delve.  It would appear that the automatons encountered were not truly aware of themselves and seemed only to exist to serve the request of those present.  An idle question from Brindlglib reveals that communication was not possible at first but became easier the longer the Pech talked with these mechanical folk.

Another seeming revelation was the discussion of formed metal walls in the area of the delve where they were working.  Unusual as most delvers speak of the stonework or a soft artificial stone.

-----

Brindlglib doesn't Notice anything upon entering the camp; however, as he Searches about, he discovers that the previous group left in a large hurry.  There are overturned items, some of which would have been carried back if they weren't staying.


Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1948
  • AKA: Coronoides
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2012, 11:34:34 PM »

Over the coarse of the outward journey Brindlglib is pleased to answer Sidari’s queries at length decribing the method, its history, usages, and trivia. Indeed rather than annoyed the gnome seems pleased to have someone take an interest in his skills and knowledge. Indeed Sidari’s biggest problem might be finding the endurance to listen to the gnome’s long lectures. One night after showing Sidari a few tricks for small stitching he comments “Trade secrets are for tradesmen not scholars.” .
When inspecting the fire-barrel and explanatory note he answers Sidar’s questions as best he can and honestly.
“I’m afraid my knowledge of Chymistry, at least of compounds beyond alloys and tempers of the metals, is not my strongest suite, perhaps when we return to civilisation we should endeavour to discover the composition together.

Spoiler: Chymistry • show

Craft no focus untrained to understand the instructions and estimate details like minimum safe distance etc. that might not be given
1d20+6
1d20+6=10
Let’s hope the instruction are fool proof.


Soon after their arrival Brindlglib approaches Bronn “The last people here left in a something of a rush, now I would not want you to consider me a blowhard set to tell you your professional business, however taking measures to ensure increased vigilance and appropriate defensive precautions, whatever they might be, might be initiatives worth considering in light of my observations.” The others may notice that the little gnome seems a little nervous his eyes darting about and how he steps under cover whenever there is an unexpected loud noise.

When Sidari starts to cook Brindlglib, wordlessly for once, pitches in his hands moving to fast to follow as he cuts the vegetables, brought from the store of fresh produce the gnome requested, while he watches everything Sidari does with a keen eye.

Spoiler: flashback • show

Brindlglib thanks the halflings for the information mentally noting that should his group encounter similar automatons he best be sure the big folk don’t blunder axes swinging before he has a chance to let the machines learn a little of their language. The detail of the metal walls might seem a small thing to some but to a scholar of the industrial arts it speaks volumes about the wealth and lost crafting knowledge of the Ancients.
So may we continue to pursue the gnomes interests as flashback spoilers or should we drop it until he returns to that town?"

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Also check out RPG Review:
http://rpgreview.net

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2137
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2012, 11:21:30 PM »
As the night settles in, the lack of both birdsong and the chittering of insects is disconcerting.  Each watch is on it's guard.

The middle of Sidari and Bronn's watch is cut short by the howl of something inhuman.  There is a blur of motion and something large, dark and vaguely feline rushes into the camp easily clearing the make-shift barricade.

Whatever the large thing is, it takes a swipe at Bronn with a meaty paw; however, it not only misses but seems to be off balance.


spinningdice

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1455
  • The power of the Dice compels you!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2012, 01:48:09 AM »
Sidari's watch see's her unusually quiet, she's both nervous and trying to prove herself to Bronn, Bronn starts to react before Sidari is even aware of the swift feline shadow, and she is momentarily astounded by the speed and grace the large man acts with. She quickly recovers her composure and calls out for the others "Awake, intruders!", though after the sound of the firearm ringing through the night air, she's not sure it will make any difference.

Edited to Adjust for Bronn's superior initiative.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:10:15 AM by spinningdice »

MikeS

  • Operative
  • ****
  • Posts: 283
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2012, 07:49:46 PM »
Spoiler: show


%^#%@^!! Looks like I didn't post my action before closing the browser

OK, so a second time:

Reminders:

Bronn may act in surprise rounds.

If an opponent misses Bronn with a melee attack, he suffers 2 stress damage.

Initiative:
1d20+10=29

That may be faster than kitty. If so, Bronn holds until the cat attacks, then performs his action.

I will spend an AD to activate the cat's error and have it sprawl.

1st half action: shoot kitty at point blank (which appears to give no bonus)
attack: 1d20+5=9 miss, unless I'm missing something (no pun intended)

2nd half action: elbow drop the kitty (gore, unless the action gives a bonus of some kind)
attack: 1d20+6=14 hit, I assume
damage: 1d6+4=10
If the elbow drop gives any bonus damage, Bronn will be prone at the end of the action.

If Bronn gets to act again before Sidari, he will roll off the cat and grab his flail, then stand, ready for the next attack.



Sidari is surprised at how fast a big man like Bronn can move! Before the cat even reaches him, he has stood and raised the pistol from his lap. He nimbly dodges the feline's swipe and pushes it off-balance, then fires his gun at it as it drops. Without bothering to see if he hit, he then drops onto the big cat and drive the spike on his vambrace savagely into the cat.

The report of the firearm rolls off the nearby hills and adds to Sidari's effort to wake the rest of the crew.

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2137
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »
Bronn's eyes instantly adjust as the large blur leaps over the impromptu barricade.  The large cat-like beast attacks but misses and Bronn's instinctc cause him to step into the beast.  In a rather un-cat-like act, it falls over and fails to rise.  Bronn's a touch too quick on the draw with his pistol and misses.  The report of the firearm instantly awakens the crew.  As Bronn drop onto the large cat, he can feel the spike pentrate the skin of the beast but somehow the feeling is off.  Almost as if it was resisting his attack.

Sidari is momentarily stunned but is able to gather her wits.

Brindlglib is treated to a view of of Bronn falling on a large black beast.  However, his confusion as to why Bronn would be doing this disappears when he finds himself screaming with what can only be described as a vice with teeth clamps onto his head.

Spoiler: show

Bronn may roll an instant knowledge check at +2, target 20.
Please roll initiative, other than MikeS, that is

MikeS

  • Operative
  • ****
  • Posts: 283
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »
Spoiler: show

Knowledge check: 1d20+5=23 Bronn knows stuff!

Unless his new-found knowledge tells him to do otherwise, he will, unaware of Brin's blight, go into a bit of a close-combat frenzy and attack with the gore attack for both half-actions:

1d20+6, 1d6+4=[15, 6], [3, 4], 1d20+6, 1d6+4=[18, 6], [4, 4]

Forgot to add a -2 for being prone, but that should still be two hits. Forgot to mention that the attack has the bleed quality. If we're dealing with a standard character, I will activate the crit.



Bronn fights like a wild beast, tumbling over the ground with the feline, ramming his spurs over and over into the big cat until he is covered with its blood and gore. He is completely oblivious to everything else.

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1948
  • AKA: Coronoides
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »
Spoiler: show
 as noted in OOC thread on first reading I thought it was Bronn in the cat's mouth...


"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Also check out RPG Review:
http://rpgreview.net

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2137
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »
Spoiler: show

Bronn remembers now why the tracks in that village a week ago seemed so familiar.  They exactly matched the stories he's head of a big black cat demon.  They are known as Shadow Cats and Beasts of the Night.  They have tenticles comign out of their back, can suck the life out of you and are extremely hard to kill with a blade.  They often hunt in small packs but have a huge appetite.  They are especially fond of smaller prey as it provides a meal without the bloating.

spinningdice

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1455
  • The power of the Dice compels you!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2012, 01:40:13 AM »
Not entirely sure of the situation and regardless it may change as initiative comes up, action's after the spoilertag in case I don't get chance to post again later.

Spoiler: OOC • show

Not entirely sure what the situation is, as Sidari percieves it, at the moment.
Obviously aware of the large beast wrassling with Bronn, but is she aware of the beast attacking Brin (probably from the screams at least), or any other's still roaming?
Initiative Roll (1d20+4=11) (moved from other post)

Assuming Sidari is aware of Brin's plight she'll move over and try to sprawl it
Acrobatics/Trip Attempt (1d20+6+3+2=17) (assuming the camp/sleepers aren't spread over more than the 35ft she can move - if not she'll use charging basics to run and make the attack, either way if she can end in a Flanking position she'll do so.

If she's too distracted by the beast in front of her to notice anything else she'll either move and attack the one fighting Bronn, or if she doesn't need to move she'll spend her first action to trip and second to attack.
Attack Roll (1d20+4=9, 1d6+1=7) (further +4 if target is sprawled)