Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 05:35:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  From the Ashes (IC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From the Ashes (IC)  (Read 9716 times)
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2012, 01:34:36 AM »

After the relative excitement of the first stop, the group finds itself settling into a rhythm.  Break the nightly fast, travel until noon, eat a small lunch and travel until reaching the next inn.  It seems obvious on reflection that the settlements grew up in relation to the delving trade with one exception.  The city of Voaz on the Sipsey swamp is the last trace of civilization before venturing out into the wild lands near the ruins.  Though nowhere near as large as Riverton, Voaz serves as the city of last chances on the road to the Ruins.  It is considerably more lawless than Thorn would like but far more resilient to corruption when compared to Riverton.  Though a river passage is rumored to exist, few are either brave or stupid enough to travels it.  It is said to pass through a demon infested section of the swamp.  Perhaps it is true but, perhaps it isn't.  Either way, the only ones who seem interested in traveling it are those smuggling goods (and occasionally services). 

In all cases, Voaz serves as a terminal for those coming back from or heading to the Ruins.  Forgotten supplies can be purchased here - for a significant mark up - and excess supplies can be sold - a steep discounts.

Bronn knows all too well that this small city will hold the last beds for some time.
Baxton can see opportunities to pilfer coin and test his skills here.  The thought of punishment only vaguely crosses his mind.
Brindlglib's mind reels at the absolute lack of planning evident here.  The roads are all wrong and he simply knows that the sewer system is defective.
Sidari realizes that she will need to follow Bronn and the others or risk loosing herself in the warren of people here.  The feeling of being watched returns.

Ronan smiles and declares, "I'll be down at The Drunken Bear if any of you care to join me."  He nods at Bronn.  "Tell me where and when to meet back up with you."

Lief merely smiles and says, "I'd simply be happy to know where I can find a companion for the evening.  I don't see many women delving with this group."
Logged

MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2012, 12:04:28 AM »

Before everybody splits up, Bronn takes everybody to his choice of the inn for the night, the Roaring Demon. It is not the savoriest of locales, but it is a delver location, and usually everybody in the inn is serious and well-armed enough that fights rarely break out and theft is almost unheard of. Bronn has stayed here several times before, always without incident.

He will then encourage everybody to have some fun tonight, but stick to your limits, since we will leave early in the morning, and from here on out it's the wilderness, where everybody will need to keep their wits, and there is no time for hangovers. He will also talk at length about prophylactics, eyeing Lief during his monologue, and ending his talk with a sentence on the inconvenience of rashes or worse in certain areas while on the trek.

"Watch your purses and your surroundings. There are many here who would steal from or rob a hapless visitor. Seems like Ronan has been here before and can take care of himself. I'm going to stay at the Demon this evening, and any of the small folk who wants should feel free to join me."
Logged
spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2012, 03:11:45 PM »

Sidari decides that she's gone far enough, that Bronn won't escort her back this far, neither will he abandon her here (perhaps she has a little too much faith him?), but she's a little too proud to just to go see him.
With this mind she heads to the Roaring Demon and tries to get a room. She'll try to remain out of Bronn's sight for now, but won't be actively hiding.  She's also well versed with the kind of clientèle at these places and will keep the majority of her money well out the way and be on guard for pickpockets (and other kinds of wandering hands...)
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »

Ronan smiles broadly and slaps Lief on the back.  "Look at that boy, an orc who missed his calling as a nurse maid."
Lief grins widely before adding, "I already have a mother, thank you, sir."  However, unlike Ronan, the smile never reaches his eyes.
"But still boy, he's right about those rashes."

With that, the two of them turn off towards a well rutted road.  As they drop out of sight, Ronan can be heard to say, "You want to look up The Milkmaid's Barn if you crave companionship - clean, reasonably priced and mostly free of thieves."

The Roaring Demon is as Bronn remembers it.  The smell of fresh sawdust on the floor mingles with the smell of roasting pig.  The proprietor - an older human woman - is practically dancing through the open kitchen with the tools of her trade.  A small pair of skillets hang off her belt.  Bronn remembers what they did to the last fool who tried to push her too far.  The place is mostly full this evening but the crowd is obviously arriving from the ruins as their hair is still wet.  Bianca has a strict wash before you enter policy for those returning from the ruins and few chance her wrath for bringing "mud, stink and filth" into her establishment.

-----

Sidari enters the Demon and quickly finds her wits full with wandering hands.  After establishing that she isn't interested she is allowed to pass.  The bar reminds her of home and her father.  The girls are moving platters full of food and it smells wonderful.  Her father's food is good but more of a standard fare.  This woman is selling a touch of her soul with anything that leaves her kitchen.  It makes her stomach rumble.  Not from hunger so much as anticipation.  When she finally reaches a low table affording a good view of the room, she is joined almost immediately by a tall, thin man coming through a door at the back.

"Isn't Bianca going to yell at you for taking a break while the other girls work?"  He raises a quizzical eyebrow in her directions before sitting across from her.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:25:21 PM by ludomastro » Logged

Doublebond
Guest
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2012, 11:43:42 PM »

Baxton is eager to head out and explore the town, but the necklace that brought him out here in the first place has weighed on his mind enough. He'll go down to the main room of the inn and order a drink, and mull over possible options for how to dispose of the necklace.
Logged
spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »

Sidari eyes the man quizzically back. "I'm not staff, I'm just passing through."
Meanwhile she orders herself food and drink,
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »

Baxton finds the common room crowded and noisy.  There is food flowing from one side of the room to the other.  He notices a group of Pech gathered around a low table off in an elevated corner.  They seem to be enjoying themselves.

Her temporary companion smiles and adds an ale to her order.  Glancing back at Sidari he adds, "I hope that wasn't too forward.  I'm more than able to pay for my own food but it seemed cruel to ask ... the staff ... to come back over here given the crush of people."  He glances at Sidari again but the look is not one of lust but of observation.  "You are obviously familiar with the inn and tavern trade.  And, given that you are eager to separate yourself from the help added to your 'just passing through' comment, I'd say that you have recently left the employ of an inn-keeper in Riverton.  You have been sleeping out of doors recently so I'd wager you are either part of group low on funds or are not part of an official group.  In either case, you have the look of someone itching to embark on her first delve.  Thus, I would deduce that you have been sleeping out of doors to surreptitiously join a delve in progress.  A lover perhaps?  However, and I'm sure I don't have to emphasize this, it is none of my business.  On the other hand, if you are truly passing through, perhaps I could interest you in traveling with me?"

As he finishes his statement, the ale arrives.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:45:33 PM by ludomastro » Logged

Doublebond
Guest
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »

Baxton will look for anyone particularly distracted and attempt to plant the necklace on their person without drawing attention. Someone out of the way, preferably.
Logged
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2012, 11:35:42 PM »

Bronn flashes a smile back at Lief, but it likewise doesn't reach his eyes.

"Until this delve is over, you've picked up a second mother. We all go into the ruins, and we all come out. I want to know I can depend on each one of you when shit gets real." He shrugs. "When we come back here, you can do whatever you please."

"Have fun at the Bear, and, aye, the Maid."

With that, Bronn withdraws to a quiet corner of the Demon and enjoys a hearty warm meal and a quiet brew. He'd fancy a lady himself, but his... ah... features see to it that he spends most of his time alone. It wouldn't do for someone to find out that the spikes aren't actually a part of his vambraces.

He will listen to the latest news from the ruins, such as is available.
Logged
spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2012, 03:43:00 AM »

Sidari sips her ale and watches the stranger a moment. "Sidari", she says, offering her hand with a smile. "So rather than me guessing who you are, perhaps you can introduce yourself."

(click to show/hide)
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2012, 12:28:59 AM »

An orc waitress that has offered Bronn her bed on at least one occasion brings him the house special and an ale.  The ale is less satisfying that Magdar's brew but neither is it a bad compliment to the stew.  "If you want news, I'd slide up to those Pech sitting over there.  They seem to have come back with some interesting news from their recent delve.  Something about animated metal suits or some such."  Bronn knows that she is acting far below her intelligence.

Baxton notes a man deep in his cups; however, his friends keep checking on him.

The pale haired man smiles and says, "Sidari.  A very nice name.  I am named Brila Hararo el la Ileksbosko.  In this tongue, it would be Bright Hair from the Holly Grove, though I think such a direct translation might lose some meaning.  I was once told by a beautiful woman my name is like a work of Art.  I believe her family name was Doyle .... Perhaps Art Doyle for something more pronounceable?"  He seems at ease and pleased with himself.  "Please, tell me if any of my deductions were correct."

(click to show/hide)
Logged

spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2012, 07:31:21 AM »

Sidari smiles and blushes slightly, and sees no harm in answering a few questions. "Okay, I work in a Tavern in Riverton, but I've burned no bridges there and intend to return. I'm following a Delve, though as sweet as they are, I number no lovers among them, and evidently I'm a lot easier to read than I thought I was."
Her eyes study his face for a moment.
"Now Brila Hararo el la Ileksbosko, do you make a habit of approaching young women travelling alone - or am I special?"
(click to show/hide)
Logged
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2012, 09:22:22 AM »

Bronn nods his thanks and gives her a generous tip, then moves closer to the group in question.
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »

"Art's" face lights up as Sidari pronounces his name.  "Excellent!  I meet so few anymore who can properly pronounce my name.  Do you speak Najafo?"  [Najafo]  "Vi estas bela virino."

"As to you being 'easy to read.'  You must understand that all of us are an open book.  I noted that your shoes have dirt from the road apon them.  Thus I can easily deduce that you've been traveling.  You have minor cuts on your arms and a small tear on your cloak indicating that you went through either brambles or a thicket.  Thus, putting the two together, I conclude you have slept out doors.  You are in a known delver tavern but are not wet.  Thus, you are arriving for a delve and not returning from one.  As to my deduction that you were from Riverton ... that was a guess.  However, it seemed likely given that you are traveling."

"As to why I am here at your table, I often find that company is more agreeable than its lack.  Thus I decided that an attractive woman and I could have a conversation without drawing attention to ourselves."

Bronn is able to find a chair vacated by a dwarf and seat himself near the Pech.  "... like I was saying, the wall comes down and there's a new section of completely unexplored development.  I mean, just think of what could be there.  Anyway, the wall comes down and Bitters is standing there when this ... thing comes out and asks if he needs assistance.  Damndest thing I've ever seen.  It was like some of the big folk but made of metal or something.  Scared the piss outtta me.  Turns out it 'died' shortly after that.  We found some of that new metal the nobles are paying for in Riverton.  So we're going back but I got to thinking, what if some of those things are armed?"

Another at the table asks, "Were they ... you know ... the unborn?"

"I've got no idea.  But, they didn't act like they knew they were on a delve so I doubt it."
Logged

spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »

Sidari is temporarily distracted by her food arriving, "I've had little experience with it, but my understanding was Najafo was the tongue of Pech and Orcs - forgive my ignorance - but you look like neither. Perhaps you'd care to explain a little about yourself, especially since you already seem to know plenty about me."

She picks at her food for some reason a little self-conscious at the idea of eating in front of the strange man.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:27:32 PM by spinningdice » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!