Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 07:02:48 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  From the Ashes (IC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From the Ashes (IC)  (Read 9098 times)
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2012, 09:23:27 AM »

Bronn rises, still fully dressed in armor.

He's lived on the fringes of society for long enough to know that claims like these must be nipped in the bud. There either is a witch about, in which case she must be stopped quickly, or someone is being set up, in which case it is important that the problem is addressed before a mob can form.

"Lief, Ronan, with me. We will have a look at this "witch". Lead on, John."
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1655



View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »

John sneers at the inn keeper before hustling out the door.  He runs  - staggers really - toward a dilapidated barn near the edge of this small settlement.  As he dashes inside, the group can see the light from his lantern swinging back and forth.

"She was just here!  Brazen as brass.  We're too late, though.  She's moved on."

The other concerned citizens asks for the group to investigate the cattle.  The beasts are torn to pieces with indiscriminate organs removed or shredded.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:24:10 AM by ludomastro » Logged

MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2012, 11:45:33 PM »

The whole situation strikes a raw nerve with Bronn.

There are a lot more orphans and other unfortunate strays than there are witches - or demons. And usually, those who rat them out attempt to milk them for what they're worth, and then rat them out anyway.

Bronn knows how that feels. Fifteen to twenty years ago, that was him.

"Lucky for you we didn't find her, John", he snarls at the back of the man in the barn, quietly enough that John doesn't her him, but with a fierceness that makes the people around him take a step back.

Temper, Bronn, temper, Bronn thinks to himself, I'm lucky it's dark and I'm still wearing the cloak. My eyes are probably red through and through right now.

"Alright, men, let's go have a look at the cows", Bronn calls to the others. He will count the number of dead cows, look at their wounds and try to figure out if it was claw, sword, or knife that caused them.
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1655



View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »

As soon as Bronn arrives at the carcasses, he is instantly able to determine that the two cows were not ritually sacrificed.  These animals were devourved - at least partially - by wild animals.  And large ones at that.

John is still ranting about how the witch needs to be caught.  "She was wearing men's trousers and had a staff - you know all those witchy types have staffs, right?  Yeah, so she had short dark hair that was curly on the ends.  She had those demonic green eyes and pale, white skin.  She was short.  She's the cause of all this, I'm telling ya.  She threadtened me.  Uh, threatened to curse me and make me her pet."

Menwhile, back at the inn ...

"Excuse me Good Gnome," the portly proprietor addresses Brindlglib.  "May I ask what you are doing?  The string seems too thin to support your weight, though you appear quite light and the knots are spaced so far apart, I doubt it is for climbing."  He then glances around for Baxton as if assuring himself that he is still present.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:17:38 PM by ludomastro » Logged

MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »

"Alright, John, how about a nice long shut-up? I can threaten you, too, if that helps, but I won't curse you. Instead I'm going to take this here fist and shove it up your arse until I can wave out of your mouth."

(click to show/hide)

"I need a bit more light. These wounds were caused by a large animal, possibly more than one. Maybe I can get a better look at their tracks."

Bronn will look over the area to see if there are any discernible tracks that tell him where the beasts went, and maybe how many there were.

(click to show/hide)
Logged
Doublebond
Guest
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »

Since the group's departure Baxton has retired next to Brindlglib. His initial anxieties from being far from the city of along since been replaced with simple boredom at the rural environment. If anything, he is more anxious to get in trouble than to avoid it. So it is that he can't help but think he made the wrong choice in staying at the inn—the safer choice, perhaps, but certainly the less interesting. Brindlglib at least strikes Baxton as a man of learning—albeit and eccentric one—so he waits for him to finish his initial exchange with the proprietor, and queries the inventor:

"Nibstitch, what do you think of the hubub back there? Could there really be a witch in town?"
Logged
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »

Brindlglib looks up from his work with the string but his nimble hands continue with the current knot. “From your query I gather you are unfamiliar with the cartographic arts. I would be happy to elaborate at great length on this fascinating topic. If you can spare sufficient time that is? This my good proprietor is a surveyor’s line, or at least it will be. The knots at regular intervals can be used to accurately quantify distance and are part of a selection of simple tools that can be used to produce cartographic charts, not mere maps mind you, of exceptional precision and accuracy. A variant of this simple device is used to determine the velocity of a ship under sail…
To a casual observer it seems the little man is able to breathe while speaking, perhaps through his ears?
“… you see for want of a cartographic chart, that is to say a precise map, general Ruroch’s campaign against the Gnomes of the Grey Mountains was waylaid, you see with winter coming on the general was seeking a particular pass…”
If Baxton is waiting for the gnome to stop speaking it may be a while.
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1655



View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »

The proprietor seems suitably impressed by the information produced by the little gnome.  "Good, sir, would that I had the time to listen to a more in depth explanation of these arts; however, I must attend to some things around here.  Do you fancy good cheese?  I have a block in the cellar that I'll slice off for you when I return.  Perhaps a draught of this new black ale from Riverton?"

With that, he disappears outside leaving Baxton and Bridlglib alone.

-----

Bronn is quickly able to determine that the animals involved were very large felines.  At least two of them, one male and one female.  For some reason the idea of two large cats is tickling the back of his memory but he can't quite recall why this should be important.

John is standing slack jawed eyeing Bronn suspiciously.

-----

Sidari finds the clearing in the woods comfortable but can't shake the feeling that she is being watched; however, she hasn't noticed anything.
Logged

Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »

Brinndlglib smiles back " As a businessman myself I understand, perhaps another time. Yes a little chese and ale would not go astray, in your own time though, and perhaps a little salt?"
Baxton finally is able his question to which the gnome replies "Witches are well beyond my areas of expertise but, bearing in mind that caveat, it is more probable that the old fool came across a vagrant, there are too many of those among humans nowadays, as for the cow all manner of beasts can come down from the hills."
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »

Bronn addresses the crowd:"People of {insert name of little hamlet here}! It looks like your cows were attacked by large cats, at least two. They might still be in the area, so don't go out alone in the dark, and if you have stables, put your cows inside at night."

"You should probably hire a hunter as soon as possible to rid yourself of the beasts. For tonight, I can offer you to follow the tracks to the edge of the village to make sure they are no longer here."
Logged
spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2012, 02:58:48 AM »

Sidari wakes herself up a bit and takes a few minutes to search around.
"probably just the stars watching, not used to sleeping outdoors. " still, I she pokes any suspicious undergrowth or rocks with her staff.
Logged
Doublebond
Guest
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »

Baxton's presses Bridlglib

"That may be the case, but either way I suspect things are shortly going to be getting very interesting. How's about we have a look around the town?"
Logged
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2012, 04:04:30 AM »

"Outside? In the DARK! With wild beasts likely to be roaming about. Prudence forbids it. But don't let me stop you, I know how you big folk like to rush into danger for the thrill of it or some such poppycock, when folk of more sensible size, and temperament, stay in thier burrows, or in this case an inn, comfortable with a nice warm salty mug of ale."
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1655



View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »

The tracks lead to the edge of the woods where Bronn is able to get a good look at the tracks.  He is now certain that there are two felines: one male, one female.  They are most like part of a mated pair.

The sell swords look tired and the villagers look anxious.

-----

After poking and prodding the bushes for a while, Sidari doesn't turn up anything.  The nagging feeling has subsided.

-----

The proprietor returns with ale and cheese and a very small twist of salt.
Logged

Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2012, 04:25:22 AM »

As if to clinch his argument for staying inside in the warm Gn. Nibstitch empties the salt into his ale with a lttle florish, takes a draft of the dark fluid and lets out a content sigh.
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!