Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2014, 08:19:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  From the Ashes (IC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From the Ashes (IC)  (Read 9032 times)
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2012, 05:46:36 PM »

b]Brindlglib[/b] tentatively crosses the threshold and places the papers as he is told. Initially, his hand strays to his slim little sword but on seeing such a collection of glassware the sword is forgotten as he peers about tracing the paths of vapours and liquids through the transparent mazes. He is startled from his reverie when Magdar speaks; he takes the cup without thinking. Raising it toward his mouth he catches a whiff of the terrible alcoholic reek of the contents Now I’m in a pickle he thinks in a flashbest get it over with fast. The little gnome throws back the ‘drink’ and immediately grimaces and stamps his foot “thundersticks!” he exclaims. Then quick-thinking as ever “My my, that is a powerful drop, much more potent than my usual tipple, oh yes, and not quite enough salt. Of course I’m more used to gnomish brews or human ciders with a little salt added. If ever you wanted to sell to gnomes, please seek my services as a consultant.”

(click to show/hide)


“Mind if I look over your set up until you are ready to deal with the papers” says the gnome looking around at the glassware and vats.
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1652



View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »

Sidari is able to assemble her belongings without any trouble or fuss.  Sarah is completely unrepentant for not being present when the Rusty Copper was opened this morning.  When Sidari asks where she was, she simply says, "I'm going to snare this one.  Just you watch.  Then, I'll be the wife of a guardsman while you waste your youth and what little beauty you have on this place." 

Gwen makes a point to tell Sidari that she doesn't feel the same way.  She then confides that she harbors the dream of running off with Nathaniel, the apprentice blacksmith.

The rest of the evening passes uneventfully.  Earl is cleaning the bar during a quiet spell.

-----

Magdar frowns at the gnome's words.  "Well, good.  I was afraid I'd put in too much ground beetle.  Still something about the after-taste is not quite right."  He grabs a bit of cloth and rubs down h is hands before picking up the stack of papers.  "I assume you are here to discuss books from one of my clients.  Whom do you work for, sir?"

After hearing his reply, Magdar continues, "Excellent.  Let's review the pages."  He does so with a little difficulty but ultimately announces that he is satisfied with the work and gives praise to the hand that penned them.  "Unless you have instructions otherwise, I'll have my boys bring over Earl's order and he can pay them ... or, perhaps he would like it as credit for more ale?"  He glances down at the gnome.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »

Sidari smiles somewhat wearily at Sarah, "just don't get burned, okay, and keep an eye on my father while I'm away." - what right does Sidari have to challenge the hopes of others, when she's busy dreaming of a life of adventure?

Assuming Bronn isn't around the bar at the time...
"Father, I'm going away for a little bit, I understand Bronn's already spoken to you? I'll be careful I promise, and I'll be back before you notice I'm gone." She's skirting around the truth a little, but she's a good girl at heart and doesn't want to outright lie if she can help it.
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1652



View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2012, 01:42:46 AM »

Sarah seems somewhat surprised that Sidari didn't rise to the insult but smiles anyway.

Earl nods and in his not quite tender fatherly voice adds, "Be careful, darling."
Logged

Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2012, 03:56:07 AM »

“I think it we best stay with silver this time, unfortunately I’m not authorised to negotiate alternative remuneration” Brindlglib replies to Magdar’s question with a smile.
“Would you mind, if I pay you a visit sometime to discuss glassware and distillation? I am an artisan and these topics are of interest.”

After saying his goodbyes Brindlglib steps briskly along leaving the distillery behind and heading the inn to inform Earl that the paperwork is all done and get a hot meal. From there he trots home before nightfall. Once in his workshop he checks the locks and retires to his little residence above reads by lamplight a while and eventually falls into a fitful sleep full of dreams of terrible ends among the wild ruins.
(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1652



View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »

The frown on his face is rather easy to sort: Magdar would have liked to sell more ale.  Nonetheless, he makes his mark on the papers and presents them back to Brindlglib.  Eying the gnome he adds, "Not sure if I need an assistant and secrets in the brewer trade are worth many sacks full of silver.  I'll think on it, Master Gnome."

----

The morning arrive soon enough and any who tried get a good night's sleep.  There is breakfast available for those interested.  There is a thin gruel and bread as the basic meal though those that want more can purchase a few slices of salted ham and have a few boiled eggs to compliment the other fare.

The still rising sun is slightly obscured behind a thin wisp of clouds.  It would appear that the light rains of the past few days are gone and that the day will give way to clearer skies before long.  The queue to leave the city is so short as to be non-existent this morning.

The two sell-swords introduce themselves.  The older introduces himself simply as Ronan Koehrond while the younger takes a more dramatic flourish and names himself, "I am Lief, nephew to Ronan here."

Sidari notes that Sarah eye's are smoldering as she looks a Lief.
Logged

MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »

Bronn is dressed in a darkened, well-worn chain mail and carries a vicious-looking flail. He also carries a pistol visibly on his hip, giving the overall impression that here is someone not to be trifled with.

He is leading two mules with the crew's equipment and supplies.

"Right, then. We've got two weeks of travel ahead of us. The first week is pretty easy, and there will be ample opportunity stay at inns. The second week will be a bit rougher. No more civilized niceties, no more roads, potentially wild animal attacks. One of us fighters will always travel in front, one in the back, and one in the middle with our little folk and the mules.

Don't tell anyone where we are going, be wary, and keep your eyes peeled. Wild beasts are one problem, but on the way to the ruins, it's more likely men that will cause us trouble."

Bronn takes one more look over the group to make sure that everyone is ready, and then leads the crew out of town.
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1652



View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »

As the group reaches the gate, the guard on duty nods.  "Delving crew going out," he proclaims to the record keeper.  He notes the pistol on Bronn's hip and quietly asks, "You have a permit for that?  Never you mind about it.  Just keep your crew safe.  If that blasted rule hadn't been in place my little brother might still be alive.  Just remember to stow it when you come back.  My shift is almost over."

The guard nods at Baxton as they pass through the gate.  The sharp turn afterward places them on the bridge over the river.  The road beyond is open and well traveled.

One of the sell swords begins humming a pub tune.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:41:28 AM by ludomastro » Logged

Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2012, 06:17:41 AM »

Brindlglib is whistling a jaunty tune as he passes through the gates and smiles broadly at the guard from behind his tinted spectacles. In his emerald green brocade waistcoat with shiny carved buttons and scarlet traveller’s cloak, not to mention his size and snowy white hair he is quite memorable.
At little way beyond the gate though he stops whistling and looks around a little nervously.
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Doublebond
Guest
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2012, 12:37:57 PM »

Baxton is not entirely comfortable being out in the open in broad daylight, and seems to keep his cloak close about him, refusing to show much of any part of his appearance. He'd probably wear the hood too were it not more likely to draw attention rather than discourage.

He walks steadily with the group, giving off a sense of slight uncertainty and stressed caution that most will likely attribute to this being his first delving. But in reality, he's rather conflicted about heading out into the countryside. He grew up out in the mountains of the spine, but the city is where he's since found his home. The rural parts of the world feel all-to-familiar to him, yet ever so alien despite.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:54:48 PM by theManUnknown » Logged
spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »

Sidari wears a simple travelling outfit, though with a heavy pack, and blends in among other travellers, she's trying to keep a bit of distance from Bronn and the others, hopefully if she can tail them until they leave civilisation it will be too late to send her back.
She gets nervous as she approaches the guards, but chides herself for being silly, it's not as if it's the first time she's left the city...
Logged
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »

Bronn nods his thanks to the guard, then looks down the gnome and says: "Don't worry, Brin. The world outside of the city is not any more hostile than the inside. I will warn you when things get a bit more dangerous."
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1652



View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2012, 01:40:08 AM »

The portents of dawn are proven out over the course of the day.  The skies clear and the sun beats down the assembled group.  Though not hot, it is warmer than normal for this time of year.  The roads become more traveled as the day wears on with most of the traffic heading into the city.  As they pass, several shout encouragement along with a few taunts to the seemingly obvious delving crew.  As night approaches, there is an inn nearby.
Logged

Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2012, 04:25:37 AM »

As the sunny day proceeds without any sign of bandits or wild wolves Brindlglib eventually heeds Bron’s advice and taes up humming his jaunty tune again, though those who watch him will no-doubt find him watching back even relaxed the gnomes eyes dart about taking in everything.
As they round the corner and sight the Inn Brindlgilb again approaches Bron “ Just a couple of questions... you see I didn’t bring much of my silver, what with the bebothering brigands and such, and in all likely hood will find myself short soon enough if I must rely on what I have on my person” he begins nodding toward the inn. “You did manage to procure the few consumables on my list? I was also assuming that there would be a central fund, secure in a great iron-bound trunk or the like, that would cover our accommodation and incidentals. You are big folk after all. Please tell me, that there is such a fund?  Or I should find myself in embarrassment before too long” [colour]

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2012, 09:57:04 PM »

"Hur hur", Bronn laughs loudly at the gnome's remark.

"Fear not, Master Gnome. The patrons usually provide well enough for their delving crews, even though in some cases "well enough" means "an almost leak-tight roof over the head, and thin gruel in your belly. There is indeed a petty cash stock, but you will be disappointed to hear that it does not fill a large, ironbound chest."
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!