Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 01:30:22 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  From the Ashes (IC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From the Ashes (IC)  (Read 9676 times)
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2012, 02:15:23 PM »

After all of the goodbyes, good evenings and until tomorrows are said, the inn is quiet.  Earl smiles tiredly at Sidari.  "Darling, I'm almost dead on my feet.  Magdar brings in a good crowd but they stay a little late for my tastes.  At least the coin is good.  Lock up for me?"  With that, he trudges upstairs to collapse on his bed.

The evening passes without incident and everyone who trys gains a restful night's sleep.

The next day brings a light rain in the early, pre-dawn hour with a cloudy but sun lit sky when the true morning arises.  The smell of bread from the bakery wafts through the windows alogn with other more earthy smells from the stables.  Those that only paid for a night in the comon room roll themselves from slumber and make their way out of the inn.  Some few ask if there will be food to break their evening fast.
Logged

spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »

Sidari is up before dawn, with the energy of the young, and makes herself useful in the kitchen before helping serve up breakfast to the patrons.
She notably keeps glancing at the stairs for signs of Bronn, Baxter or the enigmatic Brindlglib.
Logged
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »

Bronn will wait for Brindlglib in the main room. He is, however, not very patient, and if Brindlglib isn't there by about 8am, he will try to find out which room Brindlglib is staying in, and then bang on the door.
Logged
Doublebond
Guest
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »

Baxton will remain asleep well past noon unless disrupted.
Logged
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 06:00:16 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Some of you might have not noticed the gnome until he was beside you and speaking. A shade over two feet tall, non-threatening, and naturally quiet on his feet he may go unnoticed despite his bright, clean clothes and snowy white hair and beard. Those of you that do spot him crossing the common room note that he’s not trying to be stealthy.
“Gn. Brindlglib Nibstitch , please to make your acquaintance” he announces his presence to Bron in a clear civil speaking voice  “our mutual business acquaintance gave a good description of you” He smiles broadly, neatly trimmed hair and beard framing emerald green eyes and large expressive features. He seems bright and alert despite it being only about 7am.
The gnome looks about 35, despite the white hair. With his bright green Brocade waistcoat, carved buttons, and crisp white shirt with embroidered details Brindlglib doesn’t look like he’s ready for an adventure. He wears purple tinted gilded glasses and even his sword is slim with a jaunty tassel.
There is a conspicuous bulge under the left breast of his tailored brocade waistcoat.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:06:48 AM by Catodon » Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 06:18:26 AM »

(click to show/hide)
Sidari jumps when when the gnome seems to appear out of nowhere, she's used to knowing what's going on in the Inn, even when she's not paying attention, so when someone pops up when she's watching is quite startling to her. Naturally she assumes magic must be involved...
Brindlglib may notice her staring, but she leaves him to talk to Bronn before approaching.
Logged
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Bronn grunts as he suddenly becomes aware of the gnome beside him. He musters the little man silently for a while, then cracks a toothy smile. "Even among orcs, I'm hard to miss. So, you are Bringlibl... Brindldldl...  Brin. Have a seat and some breakfast, and tell me a bit more about what our employer wants to find. Or at least what you know about this delve."

Yes, he's sneaky, which will hopefully keep him alive, Bronn thinks. I will have to go and hire some more swords to keep the rest of us alive as well.

Bronn chats some more with the gnome about the delve, and about the supplies that the gnome requires to ply his trade.

Then he will leave the Rusty Copper to see if he can find another sword or two that he can trust, preferably someone he has worked with before. Finally, he will purchase the necessary supplies and let the others know that we will leave early the next day.
Logged
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »

As Bron begins to outline the plan. After a short time Gn. Nibstitch suddenly interrupts “Well, my! You may have to alter your plans there, it will take much longer than two days to complete your instruction. I’d say closer to two months to impart the modicum of cartographic and antiquarian familiarity you will require to make complete and scholarly observations in the field and record them accurately and precisely.”
As he speaks he begins to fiddle, apparently nervously, with whatever it is under his waistcoat.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:42:57 PM by Catodon » Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »

Bronn smiles back at the gnome: "That's why you'll come with us, instead of teaching me. Our employer did mention that, did he not?"
Logged
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2012, 08:43:47 PM »

“Well my! And Botherstones! Oh, excuse my language. I mean, I am well prepared for the occasional rigours of the road, but travel into the Wilds, no, no, no.
But, this expedition is pointless without someone of appropriate education.
Can you not delay?
At least tell me that goblin has arranged good protection? Not to impinge on your own sterling reputation, and yes I have heard of you*, but what assurances have been arranged for my well being?”



*Bronn has Adventuring renown 1
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2012, 11:15:16 PM »

"What would a delay buy you, if you aren't teaching me?"

Bronn sighs. He tries to remember the other scholars, that he's escorted, but mostly remembers their condescending attitudes and how they never wanted him to touch anything, how his copies were never good enough.

"Look, gnome. Only one of us really knows how to read and write, and a month or two won't change that. You probably don't want the clumsy orc to touch any of the sensitive artifacts, right? Leave the safety of the group to me, and you do the brain things. That's as good as a guarantee as you'll get."

Bronn's outburst surprises even himself. He takes a couple of deep breaths, and then says in a much calmer tone: "Look, I just mean... well, you know what I mean. I don't know how scholars work, but delvers don't get any cred with patrons unless they delve. And none of us want to die out there, so we'll be careful. OK?"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:20:11 PM by MikeS » Logged
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2012, 04:34:53 AM »

“Oh my!, please Orc Bronn, I meant no offense. We are both professionals in our own way and, between you and I, we both know how difficult patrons can be to attract and placate. While this is far from my ideal arrangement, I will seek no further compromise now that you, an adventurer of some renown and I judge great potential, have personally guaranteed the safety of all members of this expedition. Indeed, I shall offer my services, as a lowly scribe and scrivener if need be, to ensure this expedition is well prepared.
I shall begin to make good on my offer immediately with two favours. The first, perhaps you have in mind to hire more swords? Or other delving professionals? If this be the case I shall produce bills announcing our situations vacant providing us with the best applicants to select from.
The second...
he says reaching into his waistcoats and pausing for effect as he withdraws a dagger, but not just any dagger. The weapon is as elegant as it is cruel. The long tapering blade has the wave pattern of watered steel and viewed front-on has two deep groves creating an ‘S’ profile. The weapon looks as though it might puncture plate and leave a deep, open, bleeding wound. Brindlglib flips the dagger over a couple of times to demonstrate its balance. Both the blade and pommel are stamped with the maker’s mark “This is a small trifle I would like your opinion on, but wait, borrow it for this expedition. Use it, discuss it with your warrior peers. Then if you hold this experiment to be well crafted, and I return unharmed, it will be yours at the journey’s end.
Are you able to make use of my two humble attempts to make amends to misunderstanding and accidental offence?”


(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2012, 06:16:16 PM »

Bronn has calmed down again.

"Worry not, Brin. My temper flares quickly, but I don't hold a grudge. That is a very elegant weapon you hold there, and certainly very functional. I would not take it from you if you do not have a second weapon, for while I strive to keep the crew safe, having a weapon is not a luxury, but a safe guard."

"As to your other offer, I'd prefer to try my contacts first. It is always better to add people you know to your crew. However, if you are willing, I would retain your service for a different task: please draw up a list of the items you require for this delve, so that we can complete our equipment before we go."

Bronn will stay to finish his conversation with the gnome, then head out to the typical watering holes of delving mercenaries and see who of his acquaintances, if any, are available.
Logged
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »

“Already forgotten Orc. Bronn, I assure you. If anything a little uneven temper is possibly an advantage in your profession. As to the blade, as you can see it is made over-sized for big-folk, I have my sword if the going takes me to hard places, and if needs be I can craft another just like this one I offer you. Please at least take it as a loan, than if at the journey, return it if you wish.
I will provide a complete and annotated list of what I require, by noon. We shall meet here at this fine establishment for luncheon.
Now will you not stay for breakfast? We both will be on trail food soon enough.

Without waiting he slides the dagger across to Bronn's side of the table then looks around for service “A good size bowl of soup and vegetables if you please?”

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 03:49:37 AM »

Sidari fetches soup for Nibstitch (& Bronn if he wants), and sits herself down at the table, "Now that you're all introduced and friendly like - perhaps I could make a case to join you? If you need a sword, I can be one, er staff anyway, I'm handy with a lock or a trap, I can sneak around when I need to, and I do what I'm told - when it matters anyway, I'll even cook and fix clothes. You'd be surprised at what I've learned here. Give me a chance, I won't even ask for a share." Sidari is perhaps a little pleading, but is trying to reign herself in from listing every single thing she can do.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!