Author Topic: From the Ashes (IC)  (Read 18264 times)

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2147
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
As the morning son continues to rise, the day begins to heat up.  Not uncommon for this time of year, but unexpected given the recent batch of cooler weather.  A sour-faced guard along with one who has a smile from ear to ear come into the Rusty Copper to post yet another notice.  It seems that several locations were burglarized during the evening.

In the back of her mind Sidari notes that the barmaid from last night has not reappeared this morning.

Baxton finds sleep difficult as a cat seems to have chosen his window sill as the site for a concert.  Perhaps it is his imagination but he feels that other cats are taking up the 'song' as well.  Perhaps it's just the alcohol leaving his body, too.

Bron is unable to find willing swords at the first location but has better luck with the second.  A grizzled veteran and his younger assistant or perhaps son seem willingly to work.

Doublebond

  • Guest
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2012, 08:53:59 AM »
Baxton finally stumbles out of bed in something of a haze, almost tripping on the floor at several points while getting dressed. He just barely avoids falling down the stairs as he enters the main room of the inn. Baxton's never been much the morning person.

MikeS

  • Operative
  • ****
  • Posts: 302
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
Bronn hires the veteran and his assistant, and tells them to meet him at the Copper at sunrise next morning.

Back at the inn, Bronn has his discussion with Sidari:

"Look, Sidari, swinging a weapon is only part of what a sword does for the crew. They also have to look dangerous, so that other crews and bandits don't want to fight you, and they have to be able to stand in harms way without getting hurt too much. I don't think that's a job for you.

"I'm sure you're great with locks and sneaking. Here, tell you what: I promise I'll take you on the next delve. I already talked to Earl about it, and he was fine with it. I'm not sure about this one. No one's ever been to this area, and it's a lot more dangerous than the better explored regions. I have three swords now, and two people that I have to watch. Two-to-one would be a better ratio, but maybe the Pech will turn out to be of some use in a fight. I don't want to add another person I have to watch, and, like it or not, that's what you'd be."

Bronn will then grab Brin, or at least his list, and will go purchase all required supplies.

Spoiler: show

I assume the patron provides the funds for outfitting the crew.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:20:17 PM by MikeS »

spinningdice

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1455
  • The power of the Dice compels you!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »
Sidari shoots Bronn a dark look, "Fine, I'll get back to work."
Seeing Baxton come downstairs looking bleary eyed and worse for wear she quietly asks him if he'd like breakfast.

Presuming no-one's in need of anything in the bar room she'll try and work out what happened to the missing barmaid (does she have a name?, has Sidari seen the guard before? Does she live in the tavern or does she have accommodation elsewhere?")

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2147
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »
Sidari reflects for a moment and remembers that Sarah is fond of men - especially those on the watch - as she sees them as a shortcut to prosperity.  The guard is a regular but his name escapes her at the moment.  It seems likely that she is still sleeping ... or at least in bed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:39:14 PM by ludomastro »

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1948
  • AKA: Coronoides
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »
Brindlglib heads out of the inn and purchases 2 sheets of paper
Spoiler: 1s removed for paper • show

running low now 2s left.

Then returns and writes out the list for Bronn:
Spoiler: The list • show

Dear Bronn,

I do not expect that all of these items will be available in this settlement but do your best.
Items required:
   Silver   pounds
Petty cash   10s   
Compass   40   1
Sextant   40   1
Theodolite   ?   
Surveyer’s Wheel   ?   
Firesteel & Tinderbox   8   0.5
Hourglass   15   3
Sundial   15   3
Detailed map of the Blind Canyon and Surrounds   30   0.1
String, one large ball knotted at 1 yard intervals.   ?   ?
Whistle   2   0.1
60 candles all from the same batch mind you   12   1.2
Chalk x10   20   2.5
Ink invisible   10   0.25
Ink Common   2   0.25
Paper 10 Sheafs   5   0.5
5 torches   2   1
Tea (good)   10   0.5
Soothing camomile tea and some nice seed cake (Food comfort)   10   5
Several good pork pies (Food filling)   10   10
Vegetables and fruits if you can get them (food fresh)   15   3
Eggs, bacon, roast beef (food hearty)   10   5
Mule, I cannot possible carry all this nor walk all that way.   100   
Regards
B.

That done he sighs a heavily and approaches the proprietor. “My good man, I must enquire if you have any tasks suitable for a man of my talents? I am skilled with letters and can serve as a scrivener, accountant, bill writer or other similar service. I am also an able carpenter and architect able to perform more pragmatic service if required.
Failing this perhaps you know of someone has need of such services?”


Spoiler: skint • show

The gnome is running very low on silver and is working several angles to solve this problem before nightfall. This is the thing with simulation, the limitations that arise from the approach create little storylines that you don’t get with a more slipshod narrative driven approaches.


Spoiler: dagger • show

So did Bronn take the dagger after all?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Also check out RPG Review:
http://rpgreview.net

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2147
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 12:32:35 AM »
Earl scratches his head for a moment.  "I suppose I could use someone to tally the books for me.  Someone needs to settle the accounts between Magdar and I.  S'pose I could think about other who might have need of those services.  What are your rates good gnome?"

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1948
  • AKA: Coronoides
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »
"Well, for document preparation I would charge a simple scribes rate of 2s per page. For book work the rate would be similar, to settle the accounts betwwen you and Magdar, a few hours dilligent work and accounting for consumables and like, I would say about 3s. I think you will find these rates reasonable and comparable to that of most scribes.
For carpentry, well I would have to see the job before negotiating a fair rate.
These tasks are of course the least of my talents but my expected means of support has fallen through and lacking accessable funds I find I must fall back on these small skills; it is quite bebothering as you can well imagine."
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Also check out RPG Review:
http://rpgreview.net

spinningdice

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1455
  • The power of the Dice compels you!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2012, 02:07:11 PM »
Sidari groans inwardly as she heads up to see if Sarah's in her bed, or if she's going to have to track down where this guard lives.

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2147
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »
Earl smiles (or is it a smirk) as Brindlglib expalins how he considers the work beneath his dignity.  "Well, Master Gnome, I would be appreciative if you could start the book keeping right away.  I'll show you to the book room.  Don't bother trying to visit Magdar until after noon.  He is rarely up before then and if he is, he is less than agreeable.  Then, I think I know a few people who wouldn't mind some carpentry work done."

The book room turn out to be a small desk in the storage room.  Various ales are aging in barrles while some roots are drying.  Bridlglib finds the space clean and free of pests and dust if not exactly roomy.

Sidari climbs the stairs and reaches the small common room reserved for the two barmaids.  Sarah is not present; in fact, her bed doesn't look slept in.  On her way down the stairs Sidari bumps into Gwen who gives her a 'what can you do' look.  "If I see her, I'll let you know, ma'am."

spinningdice

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1455
  • The power of the Dice compels you!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »
Not knowing where Sarah has vanished to, Sidari takes the opportunity to pack a few things together in case she gets the opportunity to follow the group.

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1948
  • AKA: Coronoides
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
Brindlglib works dilligently on the accounts and is ready to present them to Magdar that afternoon.
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Also check out RPG Review:
http://rpgreview.net

MikeS

  • Operative
  • ****
  • Posts: 302
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »
Having purchased all of the supplies, Bronn heads back to the Copper and will spend the rest of the day preparing his gear and packing up the supplies. He now has a team of five swords and two specialists, and is reasonably happy with the composition.

He will also make sure that everybody knows that the crew is leaving tomorrow at dawn.

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2147
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2012, 11:48:59 PM »
Brindlglib follows the directions given and reaches a ramshackle building at the end of an alley.  The building is at least two stories tall.  Magdar's mark is on the doors but no one answers when he knocks.  After a few more tries, the door opens and a half crazed Magdar motions him in.  "Creating, now.  Drop papers there."  He motions vaguely toward a table.  The area is covered with mixing vats, settling tanks and smells of alcohol.  However, the smell is not the sour stench of poor hygiene but the pungent scent of fermentation.  There is chemical grade glassware scattered about and all in use.  Magdar is now hunched over a small set of beakers adding minute amounts of various ingredients.  Finally he looks up from his work and then down to Brindlglib.  "Ah.  There you are.  Master Gnome, please try this."  He offers a small cup that fits nicely into Brindlglib's hand.  He waits for his response.

Spoiler: show

Crafting Check - 5 (It's horrible.)


-----

The day passes quickly and the team find themselves back at the inn for a quick meal.  The fire is burning low and the patrons are smiling.  There are fewer of them this evening but nonetheless, it is a good crowd.  Sarah has returned from her earlier absence but doesn't seem willing to speak of it.  However, she has a bright smile and a spring in her step.

Assuming that all business is concluded, the next morning comes too early for comfort.

spinningdice

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1455
  • The power of the Dice compels you!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Ashes (IC)
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2012, 04:05:47 AM »
Before evening concludes Sidari tries to have a quick word with Gwen, Sarah and anyone else she thinks relevant and let them know she's planning on going away for a little while (not calling a meeting, just trying to have quiet words as they pass.
She'll leave speaking to her father until the last moment, last thing she wants is to give him chance to talk to Bronn before she leaves...