Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 10:29:17 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  From the Ashes (IC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From the Ashes (IC)  (Read 9854 times)
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »

The tug of the ruins reminds Bronn of his primary goal for the night again: to find a patron.

He's going to give the Rusty Copper another half hour. If no patron shows up, he'll have to change to a different delver dive.

Unless, of course, the recently returned delvers are drunk enough already to spit out some useful information.
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »

Bronn hears word of the ruins from an unexpected source.  A rather effeminate Goblin seated in the corner is talking about the ruins with a thickset, hooded figure.  With a little effort Bronn can make out most of what he is saying.

" ... so, yes.  They didn't talk about it, but that crew that brought back all that metal ... yes, the ones from this morning.  Well, they found a map somewhere that seems to indicate that the ruins are even larger than we previously believed.  I'm thinking that we might be able to find a group here that would be willing to open a new expedition for us."

The hooded figure speaks but his words are lost in the din.

"Well, no, we don't have a sponsor.  But, really, who checks for noble permits anymore?  No one does.  There are plenty of private crews out there now.  The only thing a sponsor would give us is visibility and I don't want to be visible.  You'd think that the Hand would understand ..."

He is bumped by the hooded figure as one of the barmaids comes close and begins refilling drinks.
Logged

MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »

Bronn is immediately intrigued by what he hears. He doesn't appear to recognize either of the two, so maybe he should draw their attention to him.

Bronn waves Sidari over. "Sidari, could you do me a favor? There may be a delve in it for you after all. There are two gentlemen sitting in the back, a goblin and a hooded guy", Bronn indicates the general position with a small movement of his hand, being careful that Sidari is blocking the line of sight to the couple. "They are talking about the ruins, and getting together a crew. Can you find out more about what they are talking? Oh, and maybe point me out loudly to a customer nearby, and mention that I am an experienced delver."
Logged
spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 06:12:03 PM »

Sidari nods and with a smile head's over to a table near the odd couple. See what she can pick up.
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »

The goblin pipes up, "We've already had our mugs refilled, barmaid.  Though, I must commend the service here.  Very prompt.  Your master must take pains on your instruction."
Logged

spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 05:48:03 AM »

"Sorry sir, the bar's busy tonight and you looked thirsty, is there anything I can get you while I'm here?" Sidari smiles warmly at the goblin.
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »

The goblin's eyes slide toward Sidari's waist in a measuring stare.  After a moment, he continues, "Likely not, lass.  However, would you happen to know if any who frequent here are willing and able to travel to the ruins?  If so, be a kind girl and fetch them for us so that we can speak to them."

Magdar chooses that moment to speak in his deep basso, "Wonderful evening as always, Mr. Barnabas.  For those who wish a pint more, speak to the proprietor.  I'll have a few hogsheads sent over tomorrow.  To the rest of ya, I say, good night, happy hunting and good luck in the ruins.  May you blade strike true and your footing be sure and may the thrice damned demons do you no harm."  He is not normally so talkative.  Perhaps the drinking contest had some effect after all.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:18:52 PM by ludomastro » Logged

spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »

"A crew came back not long since, I think they'd probably rather spend their coin and rest up a bit before heading out again. Bronn over there seems to enjoy the ruins and it's been a while since he's been out, he can probably play guide, or a pull a team together - who should I say's asking?"
Assuming the goblin doesn't change his mind, Sidari will pass the details onto Bronn.
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »

The goblin gives Sidari an appraising look before he smiles.  "You are both smarter and more polite than the other girls here.  You don't have to waste your life in this place; consider the advantages of becoming a courtesan.  Nevertheless, simply tell this ... Bronn ..." - he seems to be rolling the name around his mouth - "that a potential employer would like to speak with him."
Logged

spinningdice
Control
******
Posts: 1455


The power of the Dice compels you!


View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 05:36:45 AM »

With a nod and a smile Sidari sashayes back to Bronn, "The mysterious goblin would like to have a word with you. Wouldn't give me a name, just says to introduce him as a potential employer."
Logged
MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »

Bronn picks up his tankard and walks over to the goblin and his friend. Bronn's cloak is still drawn into his face, revealing the lower part, but concealing eyes and hair.

"I'm Bronn", he introduces himself at the table. "I hear you are looking for a crew to delve the ruins. I've been there, several times. I can help you."
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 03:13:02 PM »

The goblin smiles with his mouth without a hint creeping into his face or eyes.  His dining companion moves over slightly to make it obvious that the two of them are together and Bronn is on the other side.  Motioning to Sidari he adds, "Bring us some food.  I prefer to discuss business over something to eat.  Since you humans are so limited in your palatable choices, something crunchy will have to suffice."

The other companion has a certain bulk that would lead one to believe that the figure is male.  However, given the hooded cloak, it is hard to tell.  The individual slides further under the wall lantern  His features are mostly hidden in the small pool of shadow beneath the hood while the rest are hidden by the flickering light.

The goblin turns to Bronn and asks, "So, you are certain that you can help me?  I will need you to assemble a team to open and explore a new area of the ruin that has not previous been opened.  I assume that you can handle yourself: you seem large enough.  I want no questions but I'll settle for as few as possible.  What say you?"
Logged

MikeS
Operative
****
Posts: 258




View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 04:53:11 PM »

"Tell me more", Bronn replies.

"I assume the area you speak of lies deeper in the ruins, but you will have to be more specific if you have a certain location in mind. I will also need to know if you are looking for something special, an item or the map of a location; otherwise the crew will just load up as much valuables as we can carry before returning home. I take it you are offering the usual delver's stake, plus outfitting?"

As the food arrives, Bronn adds:"I'm fine with little information, but the delver's stake increases in that case. Higher risk, higher reward."
Logged
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »

The goblin is about to open his mouth when food arrives.  It is morsels of chicken that have been fried in beef renderings.  It is surprisingly good.  The chicken also comes with some old bread and a watery gravy.  The goblin ignores Bronn for a moment while he tears into the food before him.  "Almost as good as my mother's pan seared beetle.  At any rate, where was I?"  He seems to punctuate the question by wiping the grease on his clothes and belching.  "Ah, yes."

He scoots forward in his chair and straightens his back a bit.  "You seem like the intelligent mercenary sort.  And that's exactly what I, um, that's to say, we need."  He glances sideways for a brief moment at his companion.  "As to pay, how does this sound?  You may keep up to nine tenths of what you find - provided you keep your efforts quiet and limited to your team.  Also, we must see everything first.  Further, you are to map, or, if possible, find and bring us a map of the area you explore.  I believe that those terms should be more than adequate."

He now hunches even further over and nearly whispers.  "As you are no doubt aware, the canyon known as Blind Canyon is called such because it doesn't lead to any ruins.  However, I have information that proves the ruins are not only much larger than we have been lead to believe but that a complete new section of them is available for the pickings.  Further, those ruins are accessible through Blind Canyon.  I will provide you with the exact location where you are to start looking.  I will also provide an expert to assist you."

His eyes seem to glitter.  "Are you still interested my friend?"
Logged

ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »

Out of the corner of her eye, Sidari notices that the same barmaid is trying to climb into the guardsman's clothing.  The other barmaid is giving her a cross look but it seems to be created more from jealousy than anger.

After the initial shock of the black ale's strength, Baxton is finding the flavor to be very nice.  Either that, or he is growing more intoxicated.  A few people look his way but none seem that interested in him.  He does notice that a hulking orc and a goblin and a cloaked figure are having a seemingly intense conversation near the wall.  What secrets could be hidden there?
Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!