Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 01:58:31 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fatigue Grade question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fatigue Grade question  (Read 778 times)
Barbacobra
Recruit

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »

In our most recent game, one character gained a grade of fatigue by going down to 0 vitality. On the next round he used Triumphant Swing to gain 3 points of vitality. In round 3, he took damage that brought him back to 0 vitality again, and gained a second grade of fatigue. Is that the proper way to handle it, or should he have lost the first grade when he gained those three points of vitality?

Sorry if I missed this question posted elsewhere, but I could not locate it in a search.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:43:54 PM »

Nope, you got it right the first time.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »

The first way is the RAW, but I could certainly see the second being more suitable in certain game types / play styles.  I'd personally go with the RAW in most cases.
Barbacobra
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »

The first way is the RAW, but I could certainly see the second being more suitable in certain game types / play styles.  I'd personally go with the RAW in most cases.

Agreed, I always like to go with RAW first, then change rules as needed.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:13:39 PM »

Thinking on it some more, I'd probably rule slightly differently - he doesn't lose his grade of fatigued when he gains the 3 vitality, but also doesn't gain another when he loses those 3 vitality.  Basically to stop punishing the player for trying to get some health back - if he lost the fatigued however (Iron Will, No Pain, etc) he would gain another for being back to 0 (in effect he gained a second wind, and then had it knocked out of him again).

I tend to run more heroic games though, when using FC - very much in the "Big Damn Heroes" mindset - so it might not be a useful opinion for you, depending on your genre.
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:46:02 AM »

Thinking on it some more, I'd probably rule slightly differently - he doesn't lose his grade of fatigued when he gains the 3 vitality, but also doesn't gain another when he loses those 3 vitality.  Basically to stop punishing the player for trying to get some health back - if he lost the fatigued however (Iron Will, No Pain, etc) he would gain another for being back to 0 (in effect he gained a second wind, and then had it knocked out of him again).

I tend to run more heroic games though, when using FC - very much in the "Big Damn Heroes" mindset - so it might not be a useful opinion for you, depending on your genre.

I agree with this. With my games, you can only lose 1 fatigue grade for going down past 0 vitality. I think that if you're going to do that, whenever the character regains vitality, they should also lose that fatigue level. Otherwise, you're going to have upset players who have unconscious characters because the healer was trying to do his job.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 10:51:41 PM »

This is actually how the RAW is intended, though this is obviously a corner case that isn't easily described in the basic rules without dramatically complicating the text. If anyone can pinpoint a specific piece of text that can be improved without making the basic rule more difficult to grok for newcomers, we're all ears.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:52:33 AM »

"Losing vitality inflicts no other ill effect apart from a grade of fatigued the first time it is reduced to 0 in a scene. Any damage that would reduce vitality to a negative value is instead applied to his wounds."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:50:02 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 02:36:05 AM »

The first time a character is reduced to 0 vitality in a scene, they gain a grade of fatigued.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Viperion
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:15:30 AM »

Went to add my 2c and after tweaking it a couple of times it came out exactly as glimmerrat had it Wink
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 05:39:56 AM »

Now place it in the context of the full paragraph that explains the effects of taking damage  Tongue

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »

Nothing we can do about it now, but noted.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »