Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 10:32:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  I'm a little confused...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm a little confused...  (Read 628 times)
Dasher
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:07:41 PM »

Hi people,

This year I've been introduced to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay as a game and I've really been enjoying it. When I found out about Mistborn RPG I got really excited and thought about maybe takin it on as a GM. We've been playing with some of the scenario books in the WFRP world and ideally this is what I'd want to work with. A structured story where the GM is there to guide them through and think in their feet if the characters want to make unusual decisions. So far, I haven't seen any evidence that the Mistborn RPG has any pre built scenarios. Does anyone know if this is the case? And if they are in the works has a release date been announced. I just can't seem to find anything!

If scenario books aren't being made then is the idea to just use the core book to write your own adventures? Personally as a first time GM that scares the crap outta me!

Thanks for taking the time for reading this. And apologise in advance if this has been bought up elsewhere, like I said, I have searched but to no avail!

tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:40 PM »

The first adventure is coming out sometime. It is called "Thieves of the Ninth house" and they say there are more coming out too. I too was a bit leery of creating my own adventure , but I must say it has been very rewarding.
 http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6368.0
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:39:30 PM »

The system is designed to be far more party run than usual for an RPG.  In D+D the DM throws a dungeon at the players and they cut their way through.  In Mistborn the characters make a scheme and run it based on their goals and abilities.

As a DM I find starting things like that hard.  
My formula, which might help you get started is this.
1: Set up an antagonist.  Have the villain attack or a friend get murdered or a noble kidnap a pretty girl one of the characters likes.
2:  The party arts up and executes their plan.
3:  Big confrontation
A: Make sure to hide hints and things that will further the larger story within your individual sessions.
(This system was created and honed for The Dresden files RPG.  It doesn't work as well under the final empire, but with a little work it translates well.  You just need to undercut the scope of
 Mistborn a little.  Set the large plots later and have the inquisitors less ready to attack early on.

For instance my current worldbuilding is for a CSI style campaign in TLR's less watched vacation home on the other side of the planet.  A place where Slash have more freedom and nobles less.  On the other hand the gang of Hemalugist cultists living in the abondoned mines and caverns beneath the city are causing quite the stir.

I think the largest problem I've had was motivating a Thieving crew without a good way to accrue resources.  An Obligator crew hunting down gangs and murderers in a city designed after Gotham though.  It's going to be awesome.
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »

If scenario books aren't being made then is the idea to just use the core book to write your own adventures? Personally as a first time GM that scares the crap outta me!

Mistborn contains one of the best group based scneario generators in the hobby. You effectively sit down with your players, pitch a general idea and then listen to what they want to do and what they think might happen. This feeds into a process which practically spits an adventure out at you, with the added bonus of being tailor made to the PCs.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:28:21 PM by Skywalker » Logged
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

Your game room, kid-friendly again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »

Thieves in the Ninth House is undergoing a moderate rebuild following early playtests, there's a second adventure midway through production, and Alex has an early draft of a third as well (the one he ran at the Brandon Sanderson celebrity session at Gen Con).

So yes, official adventures are planned and we're closing in. I honestly can't say how close any of them are, however, as Mistborn is now entirely in Alex's hands (while I spin back up with Fantasy Craft).

I'm sure Alex will be along soon to elaborate with any info we have (remember that we don't talk about specific release dates until we're pencils down, and I know we're not there with any of these three yet).

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: