Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 08:28:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Hirelings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hirelings  (Read 813 times)
Barbacobra
Recruit

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:40:03 PM »

Per the rules in the book, hirelings are paid for via renown and reputation. Our 2nd level group is low in both, but are looking to hire some hirelings, old-school style (torch bearer, pack mule-guy, etc) for an upcoming dungeon crawl. How might we handle that?

The only method I can think of would be to go outside the FC rules and do it like you would in 1e AD&D maybe, using the rogue's gallery and paying in coin. Would there be an easy way to translate the xp value of, say, a Laborer (27 xp) or Peasant (20 xp) to silver?

Any suggestions on what has worked for others would be appreciated!
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »

I'd eyeball it as between 5 and 10 silver per man per day for simple pack mule-ing.  (Based on the Services table.)  That's for someone to sit outside the ruins, caves, or the entrance to hellish location #314 and tend to the animals.  Going inside and endangering life and limb; however, would be extra.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »

Not having enough Renown and Reputation means no one wants to work for you. For any coin.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »

My off the cuff calculation:  XP / Day (in silver).  Add 50% for extremely hazardous duty, or for things that they really don't want to do (a labourer that has to literally shovel shit all day).

If you want a permanent follower though, you really should consider taking Personal Lieutenant - even for a guy to carry your stuff and polish your armour.
Barbacobra
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »

Not having enough Renown and Reputation means no one wants to work for you. For any coin.

I love this. Makes perfect sense.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »

Absolutely!

Living Spycraft Masterm
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »

If you have enough coin, people will work for you, decent reputation or not.

I'd eyeball it as between 5 and 10 silver per man per day for simple pack mule-ing.  (Based on the Services table.)  That's for someone to sit outside the ruins, caves, or the entrance to hellish location #314 and tend to the animals.  Going inside and endangering life and limb; however, would be extra.

This seems about right to me.  The important thing is, these hirelings shouldn't be expected to do anything really dangerous on your behalf.  Sure, they'll take care of the horses, feed them, keep them from running off, exercise them, but as soon as any trouble arrives, they'll be abandoning them to run away or just outright surrendering if that isn't an option.  Sure, you can get a guy to carry a torch for you (Aziz, Light!), but if anything scary happens, your torch is going to be running away.

Now, if you are looking for someone who is going to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you through thick and thin even when the shit hits the fan, then yes, you are going to need to use reputation, renown and/or feats.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »

And then you're letting the party buy big coin items with small coin.

Not to mention the sort of hirelings in question already run when it gets dangerous.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Gentry