Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 06:32:27 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Notebook] ShadowCraft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Notebook] ShadowCraft  (Read 9130 times)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:11:22 AM »

This grew out of an appeal I made in this thread.  Basically my wife challenged me to come up with a way to play Shadowrun using Fantasy Craft.

I'll jot things down here as they get worked out.  I welcome comments and criticisms; however, please remember that the IP is ultimately owned by a very large US company that likes their pet lawyers.  Translation, tread light lightly if at all on the IP.  I don't want to bring down legal heat on my hosts - the Craft folks.  (Speaking of: Crafty Folks, if this should be elsewhere - as in not on the forums - let me know.)

Otherwise, I'll use this space for setting development.  It's a near-future cyberpunk setting with both magic and fantasy creatures in it.   Wink

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »

Races/Species

Hmmm, we've got:
  • Humans - leave as is
  • Dwarves - leave as is
  • Orcs - could leave as is but would be better to remove light sensitive
  • Elves - will need to loose burden of the ages and Fey at a minimum
  • Trolls - perhaps a modified Ogre as a starting point?

MikeS
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:31:57 PM »

Yep, trolls would be based off of Ogres.

Who owns the Shadowrun IP right now? I thought it was Catalyst Labs, who I wouldn't call a very large US company.
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »

Trolls are Ogres with the Stone Brave feat in Fantasy Craft.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »

Catalyst has the RPG license.  Several other companies hold other licenses for other media.  Topps - famous for baseball cards - owns the IP at present.  Private company with ~ 10 million USD in net income per year.  They are smaller than I thought they were.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:04:35 PM »

True; however, in ShadowCraft, I'd really like the players to be able to play a Troll - being iconic to the setting - without soaking up their 1st level feat.  Thus, I would tweak Ogres to look a little more like SR Trolls or perhaps just come up with a new species altogether.

Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »

True; however, in ShadowCraft, I'd really like the players to be able to play a Troll - being iconic to the setting - without soaking up their 1st level feat.  Thus, I would tweak Ogres to look a little more like SR Trolls or perhaps just come up with a new species altogether.

Being big, strong AND regenerating? I think that's worth the loss of a feat myself. Smiley
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »

Being big, strong AND regenerating? I think that's worth the loss of a feat myself. Smiley

Fair criticism.  Just not my cup of tea.

Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »

To be fair, Shadowrun trolls don't regen, they are just big, strong, and have heat vision. in exchange, they are slow, less charismatic, and less perceptive.

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »

To be fair, Shadowrun trolls don't regen, they are just big, strong, and have heat vision. in exchange, they are slow, less charismatic, and less perceptive.

Indeed.  However, I'm certainly not going to stop someone who wants a different kind of troll in their patch of shadow.

However, it is my intent to stay close the original setting.

Speaking of ...  I need to discuss an era for the long shadows.  Given my distaste for some of the changes brought on by 4th Edition (2070 and beyond), I'm thinking a timeline closer to 2060.

Morganti
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »

Splinter Race feats are how I would handle "not setting metatype"

Most of the species creation looks pretty cut and dry save the aforementioned heat vision >.>

Dwarves are small in Shadowrun...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:35:12 PM by Morganti » Logged

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »

1) Splinter Race feats are how I would handle "not setting metatype"

2) Most of the species creation looks pretty cut and dry save the aforementioned heat vision >.>

3) Dwarves are small in Shadowrun...

1) I agree.

2) I figure we could model heat vision on Darkvision I.

3) Short, yes but not abnormally so.  I'd peg them at the lower end of Medium for an OGL game.

Morganti
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »

Since there is no origin point cost to make them short its fine either way if you are simply using the existing dwarf species.  However, looking at the SR4e book, dwarves are pech/goblin (sub 3ft).
Currently I am using Darkvision II for dwarves and trolls, and Darkvision I for orks and elves.

~D~
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 11:47:05 PM »

For those of us behind the curve (I have something like the 2nd edition core book on my shelves, the one where the Runners are underfire at a Matrix kiosk), care to post up the salient details of each non-human player species?

Also I seem to recall mention somewhere that access to the Matrix is predominantly wireless now?

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »

Fair enough.  Pulling general information from both 3rd and 4th Editions, here's what we get:

Dwarves - 1.2m, 54 kg, slightly tougher, stronger, slightly more willful, have infrared vision, bonus to poison/disease saves
Elves - 1.9m, 72 - 80kg, slightly faster/nimble, more charismatic, have low-light vision
Humans - 1.75m, 72 - 78kg, humans are the baseline
Orcs - 1.9m, 95 - 128kg, significantly tougher, stronger, slightly less intelligent, slightly less charismatic, have low-light vision
Trolls - 2.8m, 225 - 300kg, vastly tougher, slightly slower/nimble, vastly stronger, less intelligent, less charismatic, have infrared vision, +1 reach, small amount of natural armor

Quick note: 1.2m ~ 4 feet; 2.8m ~ 9 feet
-----

Yes, 4th Ed. gave us the wireless Matrix in an effort to better integrate deckers - now hackers - into the run itself.  I would argue it was solely a meta-game change for the sake of table play.  And, while I completely understand why they did it, I don't like it.  Thematically, I make things more secure by creating wireless nodes everywhere?  No, just no.  Smart corporations would secure everything behind physical security that required a data-jack to access.  It just makes more sense.  However, it's a style thing.

/mini-rant

I think we need to make the decking/hacking working whether it is wireless or wired.  (However, when I run this, it will definitely be wired.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:35:26 AM by ludomastro » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: