Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 03:04:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  MasterCraft: Goa'uld
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MasterCraft: Goa'uld  (Read 1298 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 06:37:56 AM »

Off the cuff:

SPECIES FEATS

Snake-Head
   The real ‘you’ is actually a tiny, snake-like parasite that takes control of other bodies. While some cultures your race has set up amongst the cattle worship you as a god, most other cultures despise your kind as a blight upon the universe.
   Benefit: The lower of your Intelligence or Charisma rises by 1. The disposition of characters who are aware you have this feat and do not have a Goa’uld inspired culture decreases by 10.
   Once per session you may cheat death without penalty, moving to a new host. When you do you may select a new species or talent and a different gender. You may reassign your origin skills, attribute points, and Career Level-based attribute increases as if creating a new character, but you must have the same final Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. If you have ranks in a skill that is no longer a class or origin skill for you, those ranks are suppressed. If you have feats (particularly species feats) you no longer qualify for those feats are suppressed.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 06:44:20 AM »

Having it as a feat like that also suggests you could create a couple Specialites that grant the feat, with the rest of the specialty benefits making you a archetypical/professional Goa'uld.

You'd also need a sidebar with the NPC stats for free roaming snakes to use briefly on the off chace the GM decrees you don't immediately transition to a new host Evil.

Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 06:48:53 AM »

Thats the kind of thing I was thinking about. :-)

Its the most versatile way to address the problems of the goa'uld species and much more consistent with how species work right now.

Maybe there could be a different species.feat for Tok'ra in which the benefits differ because of their philosophy of sharing bodies instead of taking over them

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »

Some quick tweaks and a feat to address the inevitable "but I like to possess splinter species..." players Smiley.

Goa’uld
   The real ‘you’ is actually a tiny, snake-like parasite that takes control of other bodies. While some cultures your race has set up amongst the cattle worship you as a god, most other cultures despise your kind as a blight upon the universe.
   Prerequisites: Special characters only
   Benefit: The lower of your Intelligence or Charisma rises by 1. The disposition of characters who do not have a Goa’uld inspired culture decreases by 10.
   Once per session you may cheat death without penalty, moving to a new host. Any time you cheat death you may select a new species or talent and a different gender. If a suitable host is amongst the standard NPCs present, you return to play 3 rounds later, otherwise you return to play at the start of the next scene. You may reassign your origin skills, attribute points, and Career Level-based attribute increases as if creating a new character, but you must have the same final Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. If you have ranks in a skill that is no longer a class or origin skill for you, those ranks are suppressed. If you have feats (particularly species feats) you no longer qualify for those feats are suppressed.
   Tips: Changing a character’s Species/Talent can set off a cascade of alterations to the final character. Allow the player time to prepare a new character sheet. In the event of any irreconcilable changes, any abilities, options, or benefits that cannot be resolved are suppressed until the character returns to a host body that can support those features.

Goa’uld Xenophile
   You have a taste for exotic clothes… and bodies.
   Prerequisites: Goa'uld
   Benefit: Each time you enter a new host, you gain a temporary Species feat of your choice, ignoring “Level 1 only” limitations. This feat does not count towards the number of species feats you have and is lost the next time you change hosts (but may be re-selected for the new host).
   Tips: If you wish to return to play in 3 rounds and will be selecting a "Level 1 only" feat, the standard NPC “suitable host” must already have the feat you will choose – they do not mutate upon your taking up residence.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:15:39 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 07:19:36 AM »

Thats the kind of thing I was thinking about. :-)

Scanning back, exactly what you were describing. I think the mention of templates threw me, but creating some of those for fast and dirty upgrading of exisitng NPCs would also be quite handy.

Maybe there could be a different species.feat for Tok'ra in which the benefits differ because of their philosophy of sharing bodies instead of taking over them

I could certainly see that. I could also see using a Tok'ra specialty to differentiate them since its a matter of culture more than biology. Likewise a couple of Goa'uld specialties could emphasize things like their commanding pressence to Jaffa.

A goa'uld feat also makes a handy gateway for the ribbon devices and other such unqiely snake-head character options.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 08:21:51 AM »

What did you think of my take on the snakes?

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »

Love serpentine of course. I'd drop the spellcasting powered kill in favor of a new ability more specific to the Goa'uld spitful host-kill trick whic could better describe it as some sort of extremely fatal poinson effect. I'd consider "tok'ra as PL and contacts" as the meat of a good sidebar, so the text could be more conversational guidance to GMs and interested players.

Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 11:47:34 AM »

I could certainly see that. I could also see using a Tok'ra specialty to differentiate them since its a matter of culture more than biology. Likewise a couple of Goa'uld specialties could emphasize things like their commanding pressence to Jaffa.

A goa'uld feat also makes a handy gateway for the ribbon devices and other such unqiely snake-head character options.

I was thinking about the fact that they're actually 2 different personalities sharing the body, so maybe instead of the virtual inmortality they could get some extra benefit related to wisdow or knowledge... 2 minds are better than 1...

Specialities could work as well, I could see one for Goa'uld Queens, for example...

Also, all this has me thinking back about SG in general and jaffa in particular right now... After checking again the other thread and the original book, I've seen that in the later the jaffa species didn't include the symbiote feat by default, just the chance to acquire it if you wanted, because not all Jaffa carried them. (Most of them, but not all). All the version on the other thread included the larval goa'uld... mine included Sad

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »

Off-the-cuff reaction - having a goa'uld in your pouch sounds like a Prize Smiley.

Doesnt' really matter if you converse with it - all the other Jaffa are gonna treat you with respect. Plus I believe they carry some benefits wich would be more obviously Prize-like. And it would let you model being a starting Jaffa and moving up in the world in a very tangible way.

Two minds in one body (successfully integrated Tok'ra) is great fodder for a Specialty. The ability to do two held actions at once just screams for inclusion there Smiley.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »

Except that the mind not in the driver's seat is at best kinda working the mission control angle (So really, it's Free Hints rather than dual Ready actions).

All of this is making my take on the snake as Contact/PL rather than an origin sound better and better

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »

Except that the mind not in the driver's seat is at best kinda working the mission control angle (So really, it's Free Hints rather than dual Ready actions).

I see the dual ready actions as a good example of mission control support - a second mind reveiwing the sensory imput and offering contingency plans Smiley. Bonus on will saves is also a nice play on the concept. Free hints is a good tool for representing anything that can reassonablly expect to fall back on centuries if not millenia of experience. The Tok'ra specialty nearly writes itself Smiley. And it would be significantly different from the 2-5 Goa'uld specialties that come to mind immediately. The fun part is that as specialties you you can then mix and match with your Species/Talent choices and fulfil most player concepts.

All of this is making my take on the snake as Contact/PL rather than an origin sound better and better.

Indeed. There'd be a couple of ways of representing that sort of merely physical integration/psychic co-habitation, and that offers some flavor and variety in the resulting spread of characters created. The mounted combat rules are a fun starting point.

Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »

Dont know... Yeah, the idea of Prize seems a good fit, but in terms of play it looks more like a Magic item than a contact. It gives benefits to the jaffa, like disease immunity, long life and healing properties. Mostly physical advantatges...

In some point in the series Jaffas can communicate with their larvae, but, i think that's more of a feat than part of the basics...

Personally I would drop the PL option... i think the species feat works much better...

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 01:49:50 PM »

Personally I would drop the PL option... i think the species feat works much better...

Agreed.  I think the PL version is awful, and just begs for abuse (if not outright encouraging it via it's altered "Mounted Characters" wording).
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 02:07:46 PM »

I'm just looking at the permutations and approaches I'm currently favoring-

Player Character is: a Goa'uld in a host body
-Goa'uld Species feat
-may choose one of several Goa'uld Specialties to gain feat + thematic benefits

Player Character is: an integrated Tok'ra
-Goa'uld Species feat
-may choose the Tok'ra Specialty to gain feat + thematic benefits

Player Character is: the host of a non-dominant but adult Goa'uld/Tokra
-Personal Lieutant feat with a partially pre-scripted NPC.

Player Character is: a Jaffa
-Jaffa Species
-option to acquire a larva as a prize (magic item-like benefits)

We can kick around the general mechanical approaches and specific verbage on a case-by-case if needed, but are there any more broad concepts relating to the little slithering guys we need to consider?

Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »

Player Character is: the host of a non-dominant but adult Goa'uld/Tokra
-Personal Lieutant feat with a partially pre-scripted NPC.

Not sure if this is possible... Anybody remembers any example?

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: