Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 09:28:18 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  ShadowCraft?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ShadowCraft?  (Read 613 times)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »

My wife gave in to RPG's a number of years ago.  Well, if truth be told, after watching me walk out the door to gaming too many time, she decided that she'd like to know what I was doing and why it couldn't be done at home.  The first game I tried with her was Shadowrun, 3rd Ed.  My wife decided that her lack of fun was more the fault of SR rules rather than the ... unique (yeah, that's it) people we played with.  (I'd type up some of those stories in Fiction and Story Hour - but, alas, they weren't fiction.)

At any rate, she mentioned to me the other day that she'd be willing to give the setting another go provided I did it with Fantasy Craft.

Problem is, I have no idea how I would adapt the SR setting to an OGL/level-based game.  Historically I would have said that some setting/rules pairs go together like chocolate and peanut butter others go together like honey and rancid fish oil.  Guess what my feelings were with respect to SR.  Now, after close to two years of GM'ing FC, I have a different view on the subject.  However, this is still new territory for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »

Well, at some point in the future you'll be able to simply mix and match 10K Bullets with Fantasy Craft (I'm not even going to reach for the once mooted cyberpunk setting at this point)

As we sadly do not yet live in the future, my suggestion off the top of my head would be the following:

1. Grab the gear chapter from Spycraft 2.0 (if you don't have the core book, I think the errated tables are still available via the down load page). Just pretend that the $ value is ¥.

2. When determining the amount of starting money, change it from 100 per level to something in the vicinity of 2500¥ because at 1st level every runner is going to want a gun, basic armour and a blade.

3. Heroic / Noble / Military renown tracks should be dropped in favour of Celebrity / Corporate / Criminal. You could still have Military in there, but by and large that's a part of the world that most Runners will only deal with as targets.

4. Cyberwear should be treated as Prizes because that stuff is expensive. A lot of the funky effects are in many ways functionally identical to all the magic gizmos; it's just a manner of how it's skinned. Everything however is upgradable in the manner of an artifact, and instead of the usual 1 charm and/or essence limitation, I'd (a) use the gadget rules limitations of effects based on size, and (b) combine Charms and Essences as a singular library of effects although the cost of charm effects would be calculated as normal.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:38:07 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »

Since i am kinda sorta working on the same thing....

First step, pick up your SC 2.0 rule book.  Wala rules for hacking and chases and modern weapons.

Where you run into issues, is augmentation.

I am currently toying with the idea of using the magic item/gadget creation rules with "Body" as a housing type and going from there on an ad hoc basis.

Everything else is pretty much a MasterCraft campaign set in the Near future era...

If you don't have the Spycraft 2.0 rule book, don't fret! The boards here (waves his hand around) can help with weapons and such.

The basics of converting Shadowrun are simple, the specifics are where things get touchy Smiley
And yeah what Mister A said

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »

I played in a Spycraft powered Shadowrun game back when Spellbound: Seer was a new release, and it worked pretty well.  My main beef was that aspects of the settings are a bit wonky and that the guy running it made constant obscure in-setting references that went way over my head.

I actually think this would be totally easy - we've got all the races already, and you could either import the high tech stuff whole cloth, or get all license to improvise on it (a process I've started and am happy to share if you're interested - all my work is in my notepad, but I'm typing it up over the next few days, should be done by the weekend).  For hacking, I wouldn't import new skills myself - just call it an Investigate (Decipher) check and done (since SR hacking is pretty handwavey anyways).

The hard stuff is Adepts and Technomancers, but that might not be that hard if you sit and think about it either.  I'll also third what Mr A said.
Morganti
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 11:49:32 PM »

I should read up on adepts and technomancers... i have a feeling its easier than it looks to convert it over to the Mastercraft system

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 12:17:34 AM »

I should read up on adepts and technomancers... i have a feeling its easier than it looks to convert it over to the Mastercraft system

I shouldn't have said "hard" so much as "time consuming", since they kinda need to be their own classes (though personally I'd dump technomancer and just create some artifice spells).
Morganti
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:20:09 AM »

well, thats kinda why I need to read up on them... cranking out new classes isn't that hard, especially if no one in your group wants to play that concept anyhow Cheesy

~D~
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:29:57 AM »

Another thought for you, this time on a new Wealth stat:

Chrome

Your Chrome score summarizes your transition away from the flesh to the technological. As your Chrome increases, so does the amount and complexity of your cybernetics, as well as your distance from the unaugmented. Your Chrome score may ordinarily never be higher than your Prudence+1, and you may only purchase Chrome if you have the cybernetics interest.

Additional Prizes: This is the number of additional prizes you may hold, provided they are in the form of a cybernetic upgrade.

Error Range: While the use of cybernetics is increasing, it is a sad fact that some people respond poorly to visible prosthetics. Each time you make a Charisma-based skill check targeting another character, your error range increases by this amount when your Chrome score exceeds the target's Wisdom modifier or they do not share your cybernetics interest.

Chrome | Additional Prizes | Error Range
0  +0  +0
1  +1  +1
2  +2  +1
3  +2  +2
4  +3  +2
5  +3  +3
6  +4  +4
7  +5  +4
8  +5  +5
9  +6  +5
10  +6  +6
11  +7  +7
12  +8  +7
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:05:29 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 01:45:22 AM »

I appreciate the input thus far.  I've looked at my SC 2.0 but haven't decided exactly how I want to pull this one off.  Please, keep the ideas coming.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 06:02:27 AM »

New Style feats

(Go on, take a wild guess what feats these are intended to replace)

Icon of the Board Room
   You're admired and feared in corporate circles.
   Prerequisites: Corporate Renown 1+
   Benefit: Your Legend increases by 2. Also, the Reputation cost of Corporate favours you purchase drops by an amount equal to your Corporate Renown (minimum 1).

Icon of the Media
   Your countless exploits have earned you quite the reputation amongst common folk.
   Prerequisites: Celebrity Renown 1+
   Benefit: Your Legend increases by 2. Also, the Reputation cost of Celebrity favours you purchase drops by an amount equal to your Celebrity Renown (minimum 1).

Icon of the Underworld
   You've run enough shadows for others to tell the tale.
   Prerequisites: Criminal Renown 1+
   Benefit: Your Legend increases by 2. Also, the Reputation cost of Criminal favours you purchase drops by an amount equal to your Criminal Renown (minimum 1).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:53:59 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:34 AM »

Please, keep the ideas coming.
Add bacon.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »

Please, keep the ideas coming.
Add bacon.

Smiley   Cheesy   Grin

Everyone loves bacon.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »

I have created a Notebook for this setting in License to Improvise.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »

(Go on, take a wild guess what feats these are intended to replace)

Nice.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: