Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 02:17:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Mastercraft Character Sheet - feedback wanted.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mastercraft Character Sheet - feedback wanted.  (Read 846 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »

Hey guys, I put together a sheet for my own personal use but figured that a second (or third / fourth...) pair of eyes might help me see what I missed.  It's pretty similar to the standard sheet, just a little rearranged with an attempt made at maximising use of space at the expensive of attractiveness (I personally prefer a minimalist aesthetic anyway).

Here's the link: Character Sheet  File Removed.

It's important to note that this is for my upcoming Stargate game (so Renown became Civilian, Enlisted and Offier and Blackpowder was split into Handgun and Rifle).  It was just made in LibreOffice Calc, so it's certainly not fancy - just wanna check that it's all there (and suggestions for improvement are quite welcome).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:46:00 PM by Sletchman » Logged
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:20:21 PM »

Other than "misspelling" armor, it looks great.   Grin

Seriously, the only thing I might change is to visually balance out the prize slots.  Two slots each for Contacts and Holdings and six for Magical Items seems to say that Magical Items are far more important that the other two types of prizes.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 11:35:46 PM »

Seriously, the only thing I might change is to visually balance out the prize slots.  Two slots each for Contacts and Holdings and six for Magical Items seems to say that Magical Items are far more important that the other two types of prizes.

I totally agree with you there, and the only reason I did it with the ratio I did is that my players have always preferred to have magic items to contacts and holdings (and usually prefer to have just one good holding, instead of multiple).  It's also a bit game specific - a lot of technological devices are "magic" items in my Stargate game, so players are more likely to loot a half dozen over the course of the campaign (likewise, having more then a single holding - on base / alpha site housing - is unlikely because of the nature of the setting).

If anyone wants a copy to use themselves I can certainly change it to a more balanced ratio (as well as alter the renown back to normal).
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:38:25 AM »

I nthe first block I might replace Religion with Alignment/Religion. I think Alignments have a definite place in a Stargate Setting

For a sense of setting I'd rename the Magic Item blocks as "Exotic Device" or something else vaguely techno-relic-artifact-y.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »

I nthe first block I might replace Religion with Alignment/Religion. I think Alignments have a definite place in a Stargate Setting

I already did that after my little character creation session with the group, after explaining to someone who was confused why there wasn't two distinct options for a Goa'uld / Tok'ra that the only difference is Alignments.  Not to mention being allied under a particular system lord, Teal'c's pledging himself to the SGC and so on.  Even for non-stargate games, people can have an alignment without having a religion.

Any opinions about general lay out?  I liked the way FC has the sheet as Page 1: Non-Combat and Page 2: Combat, but I always thought it was far to clustered, especially seeing the huge number of options you can quickly accumulate.
oxinabox
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 01:16:11 AM »

No offence, it feels to utilitarian, flavourless, bland.
 If that is what you were going for, then great.
If not, might I suggest varying the corners of the rectangles,
and move to away form that rather plan font?

Compare my sheet:
http://oxinabox.ucc.asn.au/files/GameDesignProducts/NewDuskCharacterSheet.pdf
I feel that this evokes a westernish feeling when using it.

A New Dusk: Alloy of Law Adventure Game
http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6148
With twinborn, compounders, guns, explosives
---
Please stop titling topics: "Quick Question" etc.
It isn't helpful
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:59:32 AM »

Like I said in the OP, I prefer a minimalist aesthetic and maximum use of space - I like plain fonts, straight lines and uniformity.  I don't want evocative imagery out of my sheet, I want to find the number I need quickly and get back to the game.  Probably my technical background coming to fore in that regard, but that's how it is.  So yeah, that's what I was going for - maximum utility.

I certainly don't expect it to be to everyone's taste, but then it wasn't made for everyone - I made it for myself and the guys I game with to use (should they wish).  Just wanted to get more eyes in case I forgot something important (which I have been known to do).  If I was going to make something for everyone it would be quite different.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: