Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 03:56:43 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Spycraft Dragonstar
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spycraft Dragonstar  (Read 960 times)
Takeru
Agent

Mayor Janus of Whitestone

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:53:23 PM »

Hey there. A group I'm in is currently trying to use Spycraft in a Distant Future Sci-Fi game using the Dragonstar setting. I've heard that people have put work into using SC as a Sci-Fi game, but where can I find that and does anyone have any suggestions for conversion?

I honestly think we can get away with just using the Spycraft and World on Fire books and changing the names of stuff, but there's absolutely nothing for Power Armor (obviously) and the mechanics of Laser and Plasma weapons make things a bit weirder than just having slugthrowers.

You can literally make Mike Haggar in Fantasy Craft. I love this system.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »

Lasers use laser damage.
Plasma uses the sun line on the fire ap table.
Power armor rules can be ported from the Pan Asian Collective and The Shop books for Shadowforce Archer.

Personally, I think it's easier to bolt high tech weapons and gadgets onto Fantasy Craft than to attach the Magic and what not to SC2.0 for Dragonstar. Remember Dragonstar isn't scifi with dragons and elves and magic. It's D&D in spaaace!

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Takeru
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:43 PM »

There will definitely be a mix of the systems, but looking over the two it seems like Spycraft has it closer to the system than Fantasy Craft does when it comes to things. It's an age where guns dominate, and the feats, tricks, and equipment of SC seems to better suit the "pew pew pew" combat of Spycraft. When someone uses a sword they are at a marked disadvantage, though they can get certain tricks and abilities that make up for bringing a sword to a gun fight.

What are those books you mentioned so that I can look through them? I've never heard of those before.

Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »

Pan Asian Collective and The Shop are classic Spycraft books from the Shadowforce Archer line.

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:36:57 AM »

If you want to get them, they are both available here: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/56982/Classic-Spycraft%3A-The-Black-Line-%5BBUNDLE%5D

That bundle has the Shadowforce Archer (SFA) series of books.  The two mentioned above are part of that bundle and you can link from the above to read the individual description of those books.

As Morganti mentioned, they are Classic Spycraft (or Spycraft 1.0 if you will).  The material in those books may need some work to make it usable in the 2.0 or Mastercraft framework, though the people on these boards are very good with helping out with the conversions.

As to the contents of these books, I cannot help as I never played in that world nor read any of the SFA books.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:38:07 AM »

Personally, I think it's easier to bolt high tech weapons and gadgets onto Fantasy Craft than to attach the Magic and what not to SC2.0 for Dragonstar. Remember Dragonstar isn't scifi with dragons and elves and magic. It's D&D in spaaace!

I have to agree with this. From everything I've read, it's really just Orcs/Elves/Dragons with rayguns and "spellware" instead of cybernetics. It might be easier to modernize Fantasycraft than to try and Spaceify Spycraft.

That being said, there's various posts and such about how to convert Traveller (and in the wiki they have Star Trek, Star Wars, etc) and those would be a good place to start. Plus, if you have the Stargate books, that's already an sci-fi version of Spycraft 1 that you can easily translate to 2.0.

The books mentioned earlier are Shadow Force Archer books which are Spycraft 1.0 system as well. Aegis converted the SFA psionics to Fantasy Craft and it looks rather compatible, so that can be translated to 2.0 easily enough as well. Magic is your biggest hurdle as that's fantasy craft specific short of the Channeler and Seer pdfs that were released but that's limited magic.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »

Could the giant robot Spycraft book be modified for power armor?
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »

Eh.  I would suggest building your armor like a vehicle and then just wearing it and using it like the awesome gear it is.

What do you want your armor to do?

Side note:  I would be quite content to have Power Armor a weapon proficiency, and without it you cannot take advantage of the suit's Strength and Dexterity.  I don't think PA is awesome enough to need a feat for that stuff, but it does take some practice before you can move freely and take full advantage of the benefits.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:19:51 AM by MilitiaJim » Logged

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 09:33:44 AM »

I used the Iron Dragon armor with some updates, in my SC2.0 Stargate game. I also did a quick rendition for FC. If I remember I added a powered exoskeleton and a landmate focus to Drive with both using Athletics as the controlling skill.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »

I used the Iron Dragon armor with some updates, in my SC2.0 Stargate game. I also did a quick rendition for FC. If I remember I added a powered exoskeleton and a landmate focus to Drive with both using Athletics as the controlling skill.
Hmm, yes.  I dig that.

What is a landmate?  (Everything I know about Dragonstar is from flipping through the books in the gaming store way back when.  I like the idea, but never had the money to indulge my curiosity.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »

Hmm, yes.  I dig that.

What is a landmate?  (Everything I know about Dragonstar is from flipping through the books in the gaming store way back when.  I like the idea, but never had the money to indulge my curiosity.)

Masamune Shirow's power armor ala Appleseed or Ghost in the Shell.

The distingusing characteristic of the style is two control arms waggling around on the armor's torso that have, you know, your arms in them and two large puppet arms that do the heavy lifting and mirror the control arm's movements.

That was the basis of the power armor in my Stargate game, along with .50 BMG assault rifle pattern M2s supported by GAU-19s and combo sniper and artillery cannon (direct vs indirect was a software thing).

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »

The distingusing characteristic of the style is two control arms waggling around on the armor's torso that have, you know, your arms in them and two large puppet arms that do the heavy lifting and mirror the control arm's movements.
That sounds nifty and rather efficient.  A Drive focus makes a lot of sense for that.

Takeru
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 04:46:17 AM »

So I'm guessing to just re-texture the current FC armor as Fancy Space Armor (like they did in Dragonstar), but I have to wonder. Would the current Spycraft Guns be able to be ported over to Fantasy Craft without breaking the game too hard. Obviously "modern" firearms break the sword and sorcery melee game, but is it to the point that picking up a sword would be completely pointless, or the armor wouldn't help any against firearms?

Like Dragonstar simply upped the defensive powers of the armor, would simply upping all the DR of the armor by like 2 fit with the idea of Future Armor to match with space age guns and tech?

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 06:03:43 AM »

Spycraft to Fantasy Craft DR are actually pretty similar.

A Tactical Vest has DR 4, putting it roughly on the line of Hardened Leather.  There is only a couple of items that go above DR5, and only one above 7.  So Articulated Plate with Heavy Fittings is equal in all but cost.  That said, guns aren't "too good" in Spycraft, and I've had players use Melee weapons in Spycraft games without being underpowered.

I'm not familiar with the Dragonstar setting, but mechanically you should be totally fine importing them whole-cloth.  If the setting doesn't really have modern technology, you might streamline it a little - remove electronic sights, laser targeting, and a few other upgrades.  The alternate is to re-script the weapons for Fantasy Craft, which is what I'm doing at the moment (for Industrial Era and beyond).
Takeru
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »

Dragonstar is a setting of hi-tech Laser Guns and Powered Armor. If we just re-skin the names of all the fire-arms it should work fine... I'll try that. Hopefully the damage of Spycraft Guns doesn't overpower the Fantasy Craft Armor. Though if it does, that would prompt more people to hide in cover and I guess that's kind of a good thing for this setting.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: