Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 02:32:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Eyes on the Solar System
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eyes on the Solar System  (Read 388 times)
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:11 PM »

Given the type of people that frequent the boards here, I assume I can't be the only one here that can appreciate this.

NASA has a produced a Java based 3D solar system simulator that you can access via your browser at http://eyes.nasa.gov

The simulator will let you move back and forth through time and view the planets, planetoids, moons, comets and spacecraft (oh, and the sun) as they move through the solar system.

You can zoom in on the ISS and watch as it orbits earth or

Set the time to Aug 12, 10:00:00.0 PM (Pacific) and zoom in on the Mars Science Lab (MSL) and you can watch over the next 20 minutes as the MSL separates from its cruise stage, enters Mars atmosphere, maneuvers and deploys ballast, drops its chute, drops the heat shield, breaks away from the chute and makes powered flight to the surface of Mars before the Sky Crane launches itself away from Curiosity and crashes safely on the surface of Mars some distance away.

I have lost at least 2 hours, approaching 3, exploring the planets and spacecraft orbiting our sun.  My apologies to anyone else who may be destined to lose time to this application as well.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »

yeah,  i was using that the night of the curiosity landing...

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »

Ahh, that was an awesome night of lost sleep. Smiley

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »

Cry

My computer is pitching a fit about Java - which is both installed and enabled - and so I can't watch right now.  Will have to move to the top of the list of things to fix.

Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:21 AM »

Thank you very much! Bookmarked.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun džoladh.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:39:48 AM »

Cry

My computer is pitching a fit about Java - which is both installed and enabled - and so I can't watch right now.  Will have to move to the top of the list of things to fix.

Yea, it gave me some troubles, too.  I had to update to the latest Java version and then I had to give it permission to load the application.  It was asking me at the top of my browser to give it permission and I completely missed it initially.  I think it asked me through half a dozen page loads before I saw it.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »

Got it to work.  My boys spent all morning moving through the solar system.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: