Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 04:51:20 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Making a magical warrior.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making a magical warrior.  (Read 1596 times)
ice_117
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:39:04 PM »

Okay, so I'm trying to make a soldier that knows some magic too. I know that  my best bet is to make sure he gets the "The Gift" feat at first level but I have a couple of questions about the process from there:

- I'm assuming that The Gift grants you a casting level. Does that mean that I get to choose my wisdom + spellcasting ranks number spells as usual?

- If I choose spells above level zero, how do I cast them?

Also, any other information about this process would be appreciated.
Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »

The Gift states:
You know and cast a number of 0 level spells equal to your int mod, with a casting level of 1.
You can cast them a number of times per scene equal to your starting action dice.

Full stop.

No extra spells, no spellcasting skill.  If you later gain levels in a spellcasting class, your spells from the gift remain cast as 1st level.

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
ice_117
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »

Okay, so if I want to make my soldier more mystically adept alongside his martial skill what are some good options? I'm hoping to eventually take levels in rune-knight.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »

Levels of Mage.

(I wish I knew Polar Ray, it would mean a cold beer at any time.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »

Okay, so if I want to make my soldier more mystically adept alongside his martial skill what are some good options? I'm hoping to eventually take levels in rune-knight.

Once spellbound comes out, you're going to need to change your pants. Just sayin'
Morganti
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »

Levels of Mage.

(I wish I knew Polar Ray, it would mean a cold beer at any time.)
Polar Ray and Dancing Lights.  Be the KING of the party...

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »

Use the origins to model "being a warrior", and then take your class levels in Mage. A Strong Fighter Mage is pretty heavy duty. I have an Intelligent Barbarian Mage iconic in the pack I use for conventions, and this exchange is common:

Mage: "Man, I wish I could get over there and crush that dude with my axe."

Other player: "Dude, can't you cast magic missile?"

Mage: "Oh yeah, I'm a Mage! Awesome!"

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
ice_117
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:46:07 PM »

Alright, but I'm still a little nervous about it ending up as a big mess. My initial concept was for this tall, creepy dark elf warrior who fought in spiky full plate, carried a nasty looking sword in one hand, and shot lightning out the other.

Too much? Too little? Too weird? Is it even feasible?
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 04:50:33 PM »

Is it even feasible?
Everyone can wear full plate.  Spellcasting doesn't even suffer (unless your GM rules that in).  It only costs one proficiency to use all Edged weapons, including swords, so you still have a bunch left over to get some Tricks.  Combat feats have no restriction or prerequisites based on class, and their prerequisites are simple enough for even a Mage to easily qualify for them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:52:37 PM by SilvercatMoonpaw » Logged
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »

Mage will hurt your BAB over the long haul, so it may be worth taking your first level in Assassin for the Heartseeker core ability.  Standard characters usually go down fairly easily anyways, and when fighting Special Characters your BAB would be comparable to a full Soldier.

So you could ultimately go Assassin 1 / Mage 19 and fight Special Characters with a BAB of +20 and have access to all 9 levels of spells.  You will feel the sting from lacking the number of feats a pure soldier would have, but if you don't need 9 levels of spells, you could mix and match Mage and Soldier to get the balance you want.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »

Yeah, pick a martial Specialty. As an Elf you'll have good Wis and as a Mage good Int, so seriously consider setting dex decent and only putting a 13 in Str.

Use a finesse weapon for the damage bonus from dex and the appropriate trick to make Int or Wis (as appropriate) your attack bonus.

Mage right to Rune Knight won't hurt your BaB too much.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
ice_117
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »

I had my eye on Fencer for my Specialty.

Bonus Feat: Fencing Basics
Decisive: You gain a +5 bonus with Initiative.
Edged Proficiency: You gain the Edged proficiency.
Fast: Your Ground Speed increases by 10 ft.
Parry: You gain the Parry trick.

With it I get a great bonus feat, Edged proficiency for free, and the Parry trick. Also, if my BAB is going to suffer a little it may be a good idea to have the lead in initiative as often as possible. Also also, if my elf is going to be wearing heavy armor it may be prudent to have the boost in speed so he doesn't end up sluggish. Sound good?

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »

Sounds fine.  That's the beauty of Fantasy Craft.  There's more than one way to accomplish what you set out to do.

Morganti
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »

Sounds like a Red Mage!
just make sure you get a pimp hat with a feather on the side and you are set

~D~
Gentry