Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 11:42:55 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Make a bard...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Make a bard...  (Read 975 times)
enigma1122
Recruit

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:10:46 PM »

This is a really quick version posted frOm an iPod with a dying battery. How would yOu make a classic D & D style bard, or at least a 3.5 style bard initial thought is wizard, charamatic and sorcerer as talent and specialty. Also tempted to try for courtier (partly because we already have a wizard in group, and don't have a Courtier.
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »

you could also do a priest. the can make excellent knowledge whores.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:06:21 AM »

I always played a bard as an optional 5th party member in D&D.  I tend toward the more flexible style of bard rather than the spell caster.  Thus your mileage may vary.

I would go with Savvy (Talent) Bard (Specialty).  You get two instances of Free Hint with the corresponding AD if the GM refuses to give you a hint, If I Recall ... which is an excellent knowledge sponge and Beguiling which is basically a bardic music ability without the need for an instrument.  The Well Rounded feat (from Bard) ensures that you'll never be untrained at whatever you do.

Assuming you don't go for a casting class, you could do worse than picking up The Gift as your level one feat.  (If you're not near your books, it lets you grab a few Level 0 spells for utility use.)  Polar Ray I is a must.  Other good choices include: Dancing Lights, Detect Secret Doors, Feather Fall, Flare, Magic Vestment I, Touch of Light and Water Walk.

EDIT: I can't spell tonight.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:06:37 AM by ludomastro » Logged

Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:17:23 AM »

For a class, I would think Seer would be a good choice. Gives you a good rounding, some team boosting abilities (which was what I always thought the bard was at heart in 3.x), and if you want to grab some magic-y bits, you can with cross-class training.
Illithar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 01:26:25 AM »

For a class, I would think Seer would be a good choice. Gives you a good rounding, some team boosting abilities (which was what I always thought the bard was at heart in 3.x), and if you want to grab some magic-y bits, you can with cross-class training.

Did you mean Sage?  Huh?  Tongue

I enjoy four things: Giant Robots, Giant Monsters, Zombies, and Steampunk. But, just because something contains one or a combination of those doesn't mean I will like it.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 03:32:38 AM »

No, he means the Seer from the upcoming Spellbound. But the Sage is also an excellent choice. Sage, Courtier, Keeper, Priest, Assassin, all these can do the trick depending on your views of the actual bard. If you like Courtier, go with Courtier, and I agree with ludomastro on his choice of Origins. Add to that The Gift or Blessed to give him a hint of magic and here you go. Another option: multiclass Courtier with Mage (or Seer indeed). It will give you greater magic ability and, since multiclassing is really easy with FC, no real drawback. A bard is a classic multiclass character in my opinion anyway (that's also why I think the Sage is a great fit, with his cross-class ability).

Hope this helps.  Wink
cjs65
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:36:41 AM »

When I converted a bard to FC recently, he ended up as a Sage 8/Mage 5. OK, that's high level, but Sage is a great choice for a bard, I think.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »

I will second (third?) the Sage as the "bard" class here. Cross-Training will allow you to dabble in magic (when spellbound comes around, taking the first level ability of the Enchanter or Trickster would do you quite well, actually) or in Paths (if you want to have a more limited, more powerful set of options). War-bards are also well-served by the Captain.

Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »

Yep. Sage crosstrained with the captain's battle plan and a spellcaster starter ability (currently limited to Quick and subtle to anger) makes a perfect bard! Just skin the battleplans as songs.
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »

Here's how I did a bard character at 3rd level
Kieri Vane
Mischievous wandering skald with larcenous habits and honeyed words
http://www.crafty-games.com/content/kieri-vane
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:22:49 AM »

True! I second (third?) the Captain here! The battle plans can easily be reworked as motivating chants (but here as well, the Sage can dabble in that too).  Smiley
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 05:18:14 PM »

In my group, we had a Human Charismatic Bard Sage Fencer. Let's just say, he annoyed the GM (me) with some of the stuff he could do while being charming or story telling. There's nothing quite like the bard beguiling a flock of Harpies to ruin a GM's ambush, heh
Gentry