Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 01:13:10 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  Grapple Benefits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grapple Benefits  (Read 2102 times)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

Your game room, kid-friendly again

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:41:14 PM »

Hey everyone,

Based on the grapple discussion going on over over at the Fantasy Craft board, and to help what we have planned on this front, let's brainstorm some cool grapple benefits! Don't sweat whether they should be available to everyone or only through character options or some other gateway - we're just after the raw ideas. Let's start with what we have in the core Fantasy Craft book...

• Break Free / Second Opponent (for the purposes of this discussion, let's ignore anything that's fundamental to grappling - we're looking for interesting perks of winning a check
  • Handle Item
  • Injure
  • Move
  • Screaming Club (this is exactly what I'm talking about here - the really cool stuff that stands out from the pack)
  • Sprawl (also in line)
  • Throw (also in line)
  • Use Opponent's Weapon (also in line)

To get things started, I'll also throw out locking down a limb, so it and attached / held weapons can't be used). That should also give you a good idea of the scale we're after here.

What else we got?

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »

Human Shield should be an obvious one

I'm a programmer by trade, of course I like to tinker! Cheesy

"I don't want to fight dragons." - Hiccup

Drakes, the very best part about FC ^_^
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »

Human Shield should be an obvious one

Indeed. What else?

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »

Choke (Blood and Oxygen - but without requiring Garotte (maybe give it a bonus))
Status Effects (small joint manipulation reducing ability to attack / knee-bars reducing movement speed - Cheap Shot is a good baseline).

Also, I like the entire Submission Chain from Spycraft, and I always had a soft spot for Headbutt from Dirty Fighting...

EDIT: I really like the idea of Screaming Club not being a grapple benefit - as discussed in the other thread.  I love the idea of grab them, hit their mate and done - as an action, not a grapple series.
Viperion
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »

Just spitballing here, some of this may be a bit overpowered:
  • The ability to break limbs (ability damage and/or loss of use of limb until healed)
  • Choke holds (maybe use the suffocation rules? This one comes pretty close to too good IMO)
Brain freeze. I think those (plus Human Shield, plus what you've listed above) cover everything I can think of

Edit: Completely ninja'd by Sletchman while I was typing that Smiley
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 06:43:13 PM »

Silence
Snatch (take item from)
Force Feed
Intimidate
Hog Tie
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:46:07 PM by Goodlun » Logged
magustoad
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »

I think a non-trivial source of subdual damage would indeed be appropriate.  I have kind of read "Pinned" as subdued in my own little head for some time.

Again I'm writing a bit from the Big Guy pov and throwing crap against the wall without regard to overlap or repeat of utility.

Snatch 'n' grab: Ever see a raptor pluck a critter from the ground and carry it aloft?  That; with drakes.

Body crush: Sumo sitting on your chest or are you just having a massive asthma attack?

Slam: Grab a handful'o'opponent and smash them (repeatedly) into the nearest object harder than them.

Line 'em up: Chuck opponent into other opponents and hope not to get a 7-10 split.

More as the brain come online more... so very tired.

Hydrogen (H)
Stupidity (Su)
= The two most common elements in the Universe.
MikeS
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »

Some things that the grappled/held person should be able to do:

- punch the attacker (maybe with penalties)
- stab the attacker with a small blade
- bash the attacker into a wall/solid object (a classic from the movies: the smaller attacker has the big guy in a choke hold, and the big guys bashes the smaller guy on his back into walls to make him let go)
- same as above, but dangerous objects instead of walls (sawblades, fire, hot plates, live wires, electric fences, you get the picture)
- bite/gouge eyes/strike groin (this would be like a called shot that (maybe) doesn't inflict damage, but instead gives a penalty to the next grappling check; resist with fort?)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »

- bite/gouge eyes/strike groin (this would be like a called shot that (maybe) doesn't inflict damage, but instead gives a penalty to the next grappling check; resist with fort?)

I've always liked the idea of called shots of this kind for regular attacks, rather then just negating DR.  Never figured how to implement it though.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 01:31:50 AM »

It's called Cheap Shot Sletch.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
meadicus
Operative

Frog King makes everything better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:39:12 AM »

Dissarm

This sentence does not contain the property it claims to.

Web NPC builder: http://www.meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/author/martinowen
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 02:38:00 AM »

Dissarm

Is that where you insult them before you take their weapon? Wink

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:43:27 AM »

It's called Cheap Shot Sletch.

Not quite what's in my head, but it's always been a reasonable approximation (which is also why I never devoted any real time to the thought).  Also why I mentioned Cheap Shot in my first post, upthread.
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 03:36:37 AM »

These things are actually very difficult to do when you are not in the dominate position while grappling.   

Speaking of which maybe some sort of
Dominate position benefit which gives you and even larger grappling bonus on the next turn?
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 09:56:15 AM »

- punch the attacker (maybe with penalties)
- stab the attacker with a small blade
- bash the attacker into a wall/solid object (a classic from the movies: the smaller attacker has the big guy in a choke hold, and the big guys bashes the smaller guy on his back into walls to make him let go)
- same as above, but dangerous objects instead of walls (sawblades, fire, hot plates, live wires, electric fences, you get the picture)

- Temporarily (duration TBD) Blind or Deafen
- To go along with locking down a limb, preventing the proper use of wings -- if I had a player leap onto a flying opponent and pin its wings, then ride it down to the ground for falling damage, it would give me a happy GM moment.
- Fatigue your opponent (add 1 grade of Fatigue)
- Use your grappled opponent to bypass a bio-metric lock
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: