Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 12:49:11 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Emulating Assassin's Creed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Emulating Assassin's Creed  (Read 748 times)
jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2012, 05:15:55 AM »

I like the Assassin's Creed series of games, but not until Brotherhood and Revelations did I think it could translate well in the RPG arena, which I what I hope to do with my gaming group (for interest - my setting will be in the English Civil War)
So here's my thoughts:-

1) Coup de Grace is the best representation of the actual assassination moves - be they Air style from a rooftop or a sneaky in the back job. However a target has to be helpless to CdG. To me, a target isn't helpless if he's out in the open giving a speech, or inspecting the troops etc, he's just unaware. Should I just GM hand wave and allow the CdG.

2)If I don't hand wave as above, does spending AD to make the target helpless (i.e. usual narrative control) fit better? 1 AD for minor NPCs, 2 for major, 3 for mission target?

3)If I do tie the assassination into AD spend, am I allowing the BBEG to be taken out too easily, leading to anti-climax. I don't think so, as you could kill a lot of Altair/Ezio's targets in one hit; to me the mission was more about your approach; I'd just like to hear thoughts.

Takeru
Agent

Mayor Janus of Whitestone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:42:47 AM »

Being able to Coup De Grace an Unaware enemy sounds like a pretty hefty action dice Campaign Quality and likely the basis of the entire campaign. That's one neat thing about FC, for major alterations there's no handwaving needed, you can just weave it into the rules.

Spending AD to get them able to be killed would be another option for the cooler moves and the 'counter' assassinations mid-combat. I'd say that you'd need to add a few of the 'PCs are more easily damaged in combat' qualities to ensure that they stick to the Theme of AC in the assassinations and  the short, bloody, brutal combat that comes afterwards.

Technically yes you would be allowing them to kill "the big bad evil guy" in one fell stroke as creative players can undermine most of your approaches, but the thing about the Assassins Creed games is that's the point. You have a really nasty bad target and then you kill them, and then you have to escape his guards and angry followers. You'd make it so (just like in the games) the biggest of the big bad evil guys is simply impossible to stab for most of the campaign. Perhaps they are out of the country, perhaps they are protecting themselves behind such measures that even an attempt would be suicide and the whole game is spent weakening their defenses to the point they can pull off the Ultimate Assassination, perhaps the players don't know who the biggest of the big bads is to stab until the late-game of the campaign.

Assassin's Creed would run beautifully in Fantasy Craft if you can set out a good scene to the players. Especially when using actual Assassin-class characters who can make good use of disguises and hiding in plain sight. Good luck!

You can literally make Mike Haggar in Fantasy Craft. I love this system.
jameswllorimer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 05:55:04 AM »

Assassin's Creed would run beautifully in Fantasy Craft if you can set out a good scene to the players. Especially when using actual Assassin-class characters who can make good use of disguises and hiding in plain sight. Good luck!

Thanks - to me though almost every class could bring something. I mean, Altair/Ezio use Mercs as backup fighters, Thieves to lure, and Courtesans/Romanies as distractions - why can't my players be those and still have knife hidden away somewhere around them for when the moment presents itself. The ultimate co-ordinated team takedown.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:26:01 AM »

Disclaimer:  Only played Assassin's Creed 1.

You could just about call his targets standard NPCs - he hits hard with a few dice of Sneak Attack (Knife / Ambush chain) and it's all over.  You don't need to worry about Coup de Grace that way.  I'm not saying you can't script it into a campaign quality, just that you don't necessarily need to - if the NPCs job is to die making the players look awesome, he doesn't need to have 3 grades of Tough and be a Special NPC with high health.  He just needs to die - Mook, or just low damage save does that pretty well on it's own.
jameswllorimer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:21:48 AM »

You could just about call his targets standard NPCs - he hits hard with a few dice of Sneak Attack (Knife / Ambush chain) and it's all over.  You don't need to worry about Coup de Grace that way.  I'm not saying you can't script it into a campaign quality, just that you don't necessarily need to - if the NPCs job is to die making the players look awesome, he doesn't need to have 3 grades of Tough and be a Special NPC with high health.  He just needs to die - Mook, or just low damage save does that pretty well on it's own.

I realise I could make them easy to kill, but I don't want to force my players to much into one style of combat. I more wanted to capture the moment of "cool cinematic takedown" through an rough fair and easy-to-GM method.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »

I realise I could make them easy to kill, but I don't want to force my players to much into one style of combat. I more wanted to capture the moment of "cool cinematic takedown" through an rough fair and easy-to-GM method.

You could have a Campaign Quality where Special NPCs are treated as Standard NPCs so long as they are unaware of the PC.  Then, if they take the time to sneak in and make the strike stealthily, he'll go down pretty easy but if they kick down the front door and make a frontal assault of his manor, he'll be ready for them, with a boatload of vitality to boot.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:21:12 AM »

This is already covered by the rules.

Counter kills are just applications of the various insta-kill feat benefits.

The other instant death assassinations are Terminal Situations.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
jameswllorimer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »

This is already covered by the rules.

Counter kills are just applications of the various insta-kill feat benefits.

The other instant death assassinations are Terminal Situations.

I agree that Terminal Situations give the required effect; but I don't see that a target casually walking through the market place can be defined as in "appalling peril", and could logically escape. Hence my thought on AD spend tied into rough level of importance to the scene.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 03:33:43 AM »

I think having Enzio purched on a ledge 2 stories above you counts as "appaling peril" no matter where you are... be it the market square or their own ballroom Smiley.

I like the implicit threat of the being standard until the players blow the approach, but lets flip it on its head... How about they are standard until the GM spends action dice to promote them to special characters, and the GM only does that if the player's violate the spirit of a stealth-kill campaign. No campaign quality required, just a firm open statment of the social contract of this particular campaign.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Elvith Gent
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »

How about they are standard until the GM spends action dice to promote them to special characters, and the GM only does that if the player's violate the spirit of a stealth-kill campaign. No campaign quality required, just a firm open statment of the social contract of this particular campaign.
I like it, a lot  Tongue
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »

I think having Enzio purched on a ledge 2 stories above you counts as "appaling peril" no matter where you are... be it the market square or their own ballroom Smiley.

Yeah, the GM decides what constitutes a Terminal Situation. In some games a goon with a shotgun barrel in your mouth and a hair trigger wouldn't count. In others just commenting on what you want to do after the mission should turn the rest of the adventure into one for that character. Heck, for ParanoiaCraft, it's always a Terminal Situation until you pay an AD to buy a little breathing room.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: