Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 08:08:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  A thought on action dice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A thought on action dice  (Read 1064 times)
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »

I freely admit that I am one of those GC's that forgets to handout action dice to the players. It's just one of those clicks in my mind that doesn't always register or notice when the players should get one. It's just one of those things that I don't think about because I've usually got 500 other things going on in a game.

One of our solutions was that the players as a whole decide when someone earns an action die. Whenver someone does something awesome or makes the group laugh, or any of that, someone nominates a die and someone seconds, and I had it out. It's actually kept things pretty fun for my group and the dice usage free flowing. Even when I'm being a dunce and not doing it on my own, heh

This is exactly the kind of solution I would recommend.
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »

That kind of thing is a good solution.  Another solution I would suggest is to have real actual objects at the table to represent the action dice.  Actual dice would be an obvious choice, but if you want to encourage them to get used faster, some sort of food might work better.  Cookies, chocolates, cupcakes, perhaps even slices of pizza.  Hungry?  Do something awesome and you get to eat another slice.  GM hungry?  Better start handing out action slices.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 07:58:33 PM »

That kind of thing is a good solution.  Another solution I would suggest is to have real actual objects at the table to represent the action dice.  Actual dice would be an obvious choice, but if you want to encourage them to get used faster, some sort of food might work better.  Cookies, chocolates, cupcakes, perhaps even slices of pizza.  Hungry?  Do something awesome and you get to eat another slice.  GM hungry?  Better start handing out action slices.

I remember Pat using Starbursts at Neoncon one year.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »

Yeah, I remember that. ... I tend to use poker chips because they sail through the air across the table easily and can get tossed when used.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »

Yeah, I remember that. ... I tend to use poker chips because they sail through the air across the table easily and can get tossed when used.

Also, you have less of a problem with the players eating their action dice and losing count.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »

Yep, very true ... I use the clay poker chips because they have weight. I use red for myself, the players start with white and any they earn are blue until they spend them at which point they become red. It makes it easier to keep track.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

The problem is that GCs aren't awarding dice "for good play" either because they keep forgetting or aren't on the same plane as their players.

Hold up, you're missing a word there. It goes between "that" and "GCs" and it's "some."

That's why the official rule works the way it does. Sure, change it at your table if you find that you need to. Lobby your GM to adopt an auto-refresh rule if required. This isn't something we feel needs to be hard-coded, however.

But the point of baselines, of lowest common denominators, is to catch the people who aren't.

Actually, no. The point of baselines is to establish game tone.

Also, baselines =/= lowest common denominators. We flatly refute that comparison.

All this said, I do want everyone to know that action dice have been front and center in the Spycraft Third design discussion, and they'll probably continue to be, as what we have in the way of new is very, very cool - and coincidentally will address most if not all of the concerns mentioned in this thread IMO - but there still might be more we can do with them.

They are, after all, one of our hallmarks. They deserve the love. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Desertpuma
Control