Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 07:23:11 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Couple of questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Couple of questions  (Read 452 times)
Deverash
Recruit

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »

So, I've been converting a druid and his animal companion from 3.5, and came up with a couple of questions.  Is there no NPC quality that gives you an extra movement action in a round?  I guess I could cobble together a hack of Frenzy or Natural Spell (Haste), but wanted to know if there was something I was missing.  Hmm..or even the Surge of Speed feat.

If you give an NPC a feat/trick that has a number of uses per X as your number of starting action dice, do you use what a random PC would have(rather than the GMs starting action dice)?

And finally, when I really look at the frightened condition, it basically will go away in 2 minutes.  How is it supposed to interact with hard liquor, though?  The general rule for food & drink is out of combat only.  But negating a condition that last such a short time seems odd out of combat.  It almost seems to be that it should prevent Frightened, but that seems too strong.

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:42:50 PM »

So, I've been converting a druid and his animal companion from 3.5, and came up with a couple of questions.  Is there no NPC quality that gives you an extra movement action in a round?  I guess I could cobble together a hack of Frenzy or Natural Spell (Haste), but wanted to know if there was something I was missing.  Hmm..or even the Surge of Speed feat.

You seem to have found 3 different ways to do it already, each with their own limitations. Smiley

Takeru
Agent

Mayor Janus of Whitestone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »

I'm actually wondering about creating my own Campaign Quality that allows Drinks to be consumed in a manner similar to using the Refresh Action. Pirates should be able to quickly down a swig of Grog to shake off their fear, right? I understand not being able to eat most kind of foods, especially a nice hearty meal to give you a fortitude bonus, but taking a break from combat for a cup of relaxing tea or taking a swig of hard grog is something you should be able to do.

How'd he get the tea out and poured? Well yeah that's not totally 'realistic', but neither is the Monty Haul campaign quality.  Wink

You can literally make Mike Haggar in Fantasy Craft. I love this system.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »

If you give an NPC a feat/trick that has a number of uses per X as your number of starting action dice, do you use what a random PC would have(rather than the GMs starting action dice)?

This is covered on page 241, Using an NPC:  An NPC’s personal Threat Level and Career Level are each equal to the current adventure’s Threat Level, and his starting action dice — when needed to determine the effectiveness of abilities only — are calculated accordingly.

So cross reference the NPCs threat/career level with the table 1.4 on page 27 to determine their "starting action dice" for purposes of abilities.

Note that this is only for abilities usage, any action dice they spend come from the GMs pool and the size of the action die is determined by the type of NPC with standard NPCs always rolling d6s and special NPCs rolling 1 die higher than normal for their threat/career level.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »

I'm actually wondering about creating my own Campaign Quality that allows Drinks to be consumed in a manner similar to using the Refresh Action. Pirates should be able to quickly down a swig of Grog to shake off their fear, right? I understand not being able to eat most kind of foods, especially a nice hearty meal to give you a fortitude bonus, but taking a break from combat for a cup of relaxing tea or taking a swig of hard grog is something you should be able to do.

I'd say call 2 Handle Item actions to ready and drink is pretty fair.
Takeru
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »

That's about it, yeah. I don't think that'd have any XP for it, so maybe something like:

Hearty Spirits - 0 XP
A quick drink of Grog can put the spring back in anyone's step. Drinks can be consumed in combat with two Handle Item checks to cure conditions or give their listed bonus. Characters may only consume up to their Constitution Modifier in alcoholic drinks per scene in this fashion.

I noticed that the stuff like Tea just provides a small non-self-stacking buff, whereas it's Booze and Spirits that cure conditions. I'm not sure you'd be able to eat a meal in the middle of combat (despite what Skyrim says), so how does that look?

Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 02:34:52 AM »

That's about it, yeah. I don't think that'd have any XP for it, so maybe something like:

Hearty Spirits - 0 XP
A quick drink of Grog can put the spring back in anyone's step. Drinks can be consumed in combat with two Handle Item checks to cure conditions or give their listed bonus. Characters may only consume up to their Constitution Modifier in alcoholic drinks per scene in this fashion.

I noticed that the stuff like Tea just provides a small non-self-stacking buff, whereas it's Booze and Spirits that cure conditions. I'm not sure you'd be able to eat a meal in the middle of combat (despite what Skyrim says), so how does that look?

By default, you are limited to gaining the effect from 1 food and drink per day unless you have something like the Pech's Hearty Appetite.  So I would, for general use, split it into 2 qualities.  One the quality specifies you can drink in combat and another that changes how often it can be done.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Takeru
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 05:16:32 AM »

Good point and good idea.

Down the Hatch - 0XP
A quick drink of Grog can put the spring back in anyone's step. Drinks can be consumed in combat with two Handle Item checks to give their listed bonus or cure conditions.

I'm too Drunk to be Scared! -0XP
What kind of man only drinks once per day? Alcoholic beverages can be consumed a number of times per scene equal to a character's Constitution Modifier.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: