Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 05:08:28 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Poll] Ben 10 conversion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Have you seen the show, and would you like to see the Ben 10 universe statted out for Mastercraft?
Yes, i've seen the show; Yes, i'd like to see the conversion
No, I haven't seen the show; i'd still like to see the conversion
Yes, i've seen the show; No, I don't want to see the conversion
No, I haven't seen the show; No, I don't want to see the conversion

Author Topic: [Poll] Ben 10 conversion?  (Read 520 times)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »

So my eldest has been really into Ben 10 recently. I though *pfft* silly show. Then I made the mistake of watching it and actually started to get into it. Now he's asked me to do a Ben 10 RPG for him.

I'll obviously have to stat up the Omnitrix/Ultimatrix, and I figure the aliens from the first season (there's only 10, I think, but that'll be plenty for now). Gwen's magic is easily done using the Mage class. I'll need a feat/feats for hybrids like Kevin. I'm gonna need stats for Highbreed and DNAliens as villains too. Maybe a Plumbers specialty, and a bunch of new Species.

Opinions? Anyone wanna help?

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »

Ben 10 actually strikes me as something that would work better as a mod for Mistborn than d20; Ben's party piece is pretty similar to someone choosing which of their metals to burn

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:20:35 PM »

I've only seen one episode when my nephew was over, but you could handle his device as either an artifact that casts one of the (upcomming) Shapechanging spells or as a Mages Pouch (and just give him a class that is a very focused shapeshifter).

Not sure how many players would be happy with "Roll a d10, that's what form you become" though - some people would want it to be chosen by them, but thematically similar.  Still, as always, I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:37:29 PM »

It was only early on with the prototype omnitrix (that was atually malfunctioning) that this happened. No worries about that for PCs.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »

Ben usually got the form he was looking for, even when it was quasi-random. Perhaps Roll a d20, 1-10 = random alien (from a fixed list), 11-20 your choice. If, for example Four-Arms was a 4 on the chart and you wanted to turn into Four-Arms, you roll. On a 4, or 11+ you're Four-Arms. On a 7 you're Upgrade instead.

Or maybe make it so that on a Critical Failure the GM decides what form you choose?

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »

THE OMNITRIX
Created by Azmuth in an attempt to foster cooperation between different races, each and every incarnation of the Omnimatrix (‘Omnitrix’ for short) has been twisted into a weapon. The Omnitrix provides wireless access to the Codon Stream, a database created to store the genetic code for millions of different sapient species. It rewrites the wearer’s DNA, transforming them into a completely new species.
The prototype Omnitrix was destroyed by its wielder, a human named Ben Tennyson, to prevent its capture. The current version – the Ultimatrix – is also carried by Tennyson, but with alternate timelines, parallel universes, dimensional travel and cheap knock-offs, there are a few spare units floating around here and there.
Item: Wrist Watch or Vambrace
Essences:
• Anti-Tamper Mechanism (Each Counterfeit or Dismantle check targeting the Artifact inflicts 6d6 electrical damage)
• Greater NPC Quality (Codon Stream Access)
• Interest (+1 Study – Alien Life Forms)
• Self-Destruct (The Artifact may be set to self-destruct with 1 full action; after a 10 round count-down the Artifact is destroyed, inflicting 10d6 lethal damage with a blast increment of 1 square)
Charms:
• Greater Spell Effect (Tongues II - 1 use per scene at Level 6-7, 2 uses per scene at Level 8-11, 3 uses per scene at Level 12-15, 4 uses per scene at Level 16-19, 5 uses per scene at Level 20)
• Lesser Spell Effect (Orient Self - 1 use per scene at Level 1-4, 2 uses per scene at Level 5-7, 3 uses per scene at Level 8-11, 4 uses per scene at Level 12-14, 5 uses per scene at Level 15-18, 6 uses per scene at Level 19-20)
Reputation Value: Priceless

NPC QUALITIES

Codon Stream Access (+10XP): Upon gaining this quality, the NPC should choose 10 Aliens to unlock from the Codon Stream Bestiary. With 1 full action, the NPC can assume the form of one of these Aliens. The NPC retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma, as well as this quality. Additional Aliens may be unlocked by taking 2 full actions to scan a member of that species within 10 ft.
Whilst in the form of a Codon Stream Alien, the Omnitrix is always present and visible in the middle of the NPC’s chest, and it cannot be hidden or removed. The NPC may change back to their original form at any time, and they automatically do so after 10 minutes regardless of the circumstances. After use, this quality may not be used again for another 5 minutes.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »

So yeah, i'm shoe-horning here. And I had to make up a few new bits and pieces to make it all work. On the way:

- 10x Species
- 10x Rogue Templates
- Codon Stream Bestiary, with 10x Aliens

My justification for the NPC quality is that theoretically the Codon Stream could be accessed in other ways, not just with a wireless receiver such as the Omni/Ultimatrix. Either way, I may change it to an Essence or Charm later. I'm just looking for a critique first.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 03:01:01 PM by glimmerrat » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: