Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 06:39:17 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  what brought you into spycraft
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: what brought you into spycraft  (Read 5627 times)
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »

Had a regular gaming group at the time and had been looking for a modern game to supplement our dnd game. I can't actually recall exactly how Spycraft came to my attention, but the cover art was arresting. Joined the forums at AEG and the rest is history. Absolutely loved the class tables and the feat system was simply elegant. Silver and Black lines became an automatic buy for my gaming budget. Loved that I could actually do ninjas and superspies as I envisioned it, with the system actively helping me.

I've bought every Crafty book since. The fantastically congenial forums in every iteration, helped immensely as did the presence of the Crafty3 (at the time) on those forums as active participants. Never regretted my support.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dμoladh.
Moebius
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 11:18:39 PM »

The cover art was part of it for me, too. I was kind of freshly into 3rd ed and have always been a fan of Top Secret/S.I. so it kind of felt natural and inevitable.

tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

Do it to Julia.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 06:07:30 AM »

I was a Bounty Hunter for Alderac (BH #007, in fact!) and my interest was piqued by this announcement of an upcoming modern-era game. Ran a couple of demos using the downloaded preview, and when the book arrived, I bought it outright rather than waiting a month for it to be available as a program purchase. Over lunch the day I bought the book, my best bud and I looked through the SEH and were hooked by the new ideas and incredible cleverness.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

I'd tell an ebola joke here, BUT YOU WON'T GET IT.
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 12:57:41 PM »

Two reasons.

Modern Game, there's not enough of these for spystuff these days. Especially one that was a serious game that didn't take itself overly seriously. Trying to figure out where all the "quotes" came from was enjoyment.

The flexibility in making characters. Which is my main love for both Spycraft and FantasyCraft. I'm not just making a soldier or a wheelman, I'm making a Grizzled Daredevil Wheelman. That made me all sorts of geeky happy.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 12:49:11 PM »

It was sort of a weird 'stumble upon'.  The FLGS whom I had been frequenting since my youth (which sadly closed a few years back)  had been trying to beef up their RPG night with something more than their core D&D crowd.  (Store stocked a fridge with drinks for a reasonable price.  Good prices on snacks and there was a pizza joint next door.  Just needed more people.)  One month, the distributor had a 'good deal' or some such on AEG products.  Our group, tired of the D&D and running low on our desire for D6 Star Wars or GURPs III, we were open to trying it. So my group went for a round of the SC1 book at a very nice price and gave it a whirl.  From there, we'd add in the supplement books and never looked back.  Ever since, it's been my staple RPG.  I like the modern setting.  I like the Crunch.  And SFA just made a perfect twist to get outside of the every day SC setting.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 10:21:03 PM »

I was visiting the AEG offices to hang out with old buddies and saw a handwritten sign looking for staff playtesters who wanted to help vet a modern game that would let them "roll more dice than GOD!" I didn't play, but decided to keep an eye out for the finished product (which happily didn't stay Roll & Keep).

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 04:14:56 PM »

I was visiting the AEG offices to hang out with old buddies and saw a handwritten sign looking for staff playtesters who wanted to help vet a modern game that would let them "roll more dice than GOD!" I didn't play, but decided to keep an eye out for the finished product (which happily didn't stay Roll & Keep).

Ha! I remember that sign. Good times...

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
dpmcalister
Agent

Think on your sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 08:37:04 AM »

I don't recall how, but I was wandering around the internet (such as it was at the time!) when I spotted a page promo'ing this upcoming espionage RPG called Series Archer (I seem to recall that you could download some cool sound files as well). I mentioned it on Modus Operandi and sat back eager for it's release. Got to meet (and interview) Pat at Gen Con UK 2002 where he announced that Living Spycraft had just been given the go ahead from the RPGA. I came on board as UK Regional Director for that in March 2003 and even managed to get a few credits in official supplements: Agency (additional writing), US Militaries (consultant), World Militaries (co-author) and Battlegrounds (consultant). Unfortunately, I wasn't so much of a fan of 2.0 so Spycraft and myself went our separate ways. Very interested in seeing how Third Edition pans out though as I've started getting the mojo back for espionage RPGs...

» Blog • Flickr • Google+ • LinkedIn • Twitter «
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 08:38:52 AM »

It'll be nice to have you back DP

Living Spycraft Masterm
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »

It'll be nice to have you back DP

Amen to that! Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
dpmcalister
Agent

Think on your sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 04:07:13 AM »

Thanks guys Smiley

» Blog • Flickr • Google+ • LinkedIn • Twitter «
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 06:16:46 AM »

I'm the odd one out, I cam to SC through FC.

For me I had SG-1, read never played, but this was just becuase I was a huge fan of the series. Did not entice me to try SpyCraft.
Then years later Fantasy Craft. This was freakin' awesome and it put the creative freedom back in my hands. After a while I wanted to check out SpyCraft and found a similar ethos: here are the tools go forth and build a setting you like. Still haven't played much SpyCraft but eagerly awaiting the next incarnation. I know this time they are going to focus on the one genre more but as long as the 'degrees of freedom' is the about the same as FC it will be good.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 07:35:03 AM »

what brought you guys into Spycraft (why the Spycraft game/books)
Quite simple, I wanted to play an espionage game and I was a bit sick of James Bond at the time. So I looked for something else, found Spycraft, and became a lost cause. Ten years of active fanaticism since then, including four years of online campaign mastering (http://forum.le-scriptorium.com/index.php?showforum=83)!
MOrab46019
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 11:42:39 PM »

I got into spycraft when I got the main book and equipment book each for a buck. I then notice I needed 3rd ed AD&D book to play. I waited five years. A buddy of mine wanted to run a game. I told him I had Spycraft he was welcome to run it. I went out online got three copies of Moden Arms two copies of main book and all the other books dirt cheap. We been playing two years of first ed. Was going to get second when news about 3rd came out. Now just waiting for 3rd to come out. I always been a fan of moden RPGs. So this really hits home for me.
gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 05:11:25 AM »

Was looking for something to play at ARCON in St. Louis like a billion years ago.  Found something called "Spycraft" and was totally down for trying it out.  It was towards the end of the classic LSpy days, and I ended up playing in two or three sessions cause I dropped everything else and drug my friends to play it too

It was all downhill from there, because 2.0 was on the horizon and a few years later I found it had been released when I went to Origins.  Got to play with a bunch of awesome people, and play test the first attempt of 10kb run by Pat himself.  Once we finished, I went out and bought my books and have been running/playing it ever since.

God, was it really like 8 or 9 years ago already?  I feel old.

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: