Author Topic: How will the transition go?  (Read 1736 times)

FacelessFox

• Recruit
    • View Profile
How will the transition go?
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
I currently want to run a mordern game for my players, and spycraft was the obviouse choice. The problem is I'm unsure if I should just wait for spycraft 3.0, or start with 2.0 and transition to 3.0 once its dropped. Is it a simple character conversion? If not, is there any way to mash FC and SC together so that the conversion goes smoother?

Big_Jim

• Handler
  • An integral part of any plan for world domination.
    • View Profile
Re: How will the transition go?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
Everything that's been revealed about SC 3.0 is that it's an attribute-less, short leveled, infinite expansion class based system with an ala carte style powers/abilities acquisition system.

So, no, they won't match up at all. You'll hav to do a rebuild based on character concept. Which is cooler anyway, thanks to the la carte style powers/abilities acquisition system. Want to be the Scientist who knows Krav Mag? Do that.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:32:36 PM by Big_Jim »

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:21:35 PM »
It will also be strongly tied to the espionage genre and be much less of a modern toolkit.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 08:33:04 PM »
I currently want to run a mordern game for my players, and spycraft was the obviouse choice. The problem is I'm unsure if I should just wait for spycraft 3.0, or start with 2.0 and transition to 3.0 once its dropped. Is it a simple character conversion?

I think everyone's got the gist of it. We won't be bothering to write a conversion guide for 2.0 to SC3, mainly because there's only conceptual conversion; 2.0 will inform SC3 in a lot of ways, but not in the expression of most of its rules.

If not, is there any way to mash FC and SC together so that the conversion goes smoother?

Likewise, FC is not a useful transition to SC3 - in the end, it will be more of an evolutionary offshoot with shared ancestry rather than a direct ancestor to SC3.

Best to play what you want for now, then when SC3 is ready to go, convert everyone's characters conceptually over to the new framework and options. While not a perfect translation, I find most players do not mind the option to re-spec given the opportunity.
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

FacelessFox

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 08:39:06 AM »
Thanks guys, you've been a lot of help! Ill just go with 2.0 for now.

It will also be strongly tied to the espionage genre and be much less of a modern toolkit.

I hope not, I've always enjoyed FC/SC because of their ability to allow me to my make the game my own. I think its mastercrafts biggest boons over other RPGS, in that its flexible and simple where others are either one or the other. I guess I could always just play SC2 for a modern game if SC3 is more geared towards espionage,  but I feel like thats a whole lot of waisted potential.

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:40:35 PM »

I hope not, I've always enjoyed FC/SC because of their ability to allow me to my make the game my own. I think its mastercrafts biggest boons over other RPGS, in that its flexible and simple where others are either one or the other. I guess I could always just play SC2 for a modern game if SC3 is more geared towards espionage,  but I feel like thats a whole lot of waisted potential.

I think you will have plenty of options to make the game your own still....many folded in rather than bolted on as extra rules (example: all basic gear systems will be based on GC preference, rather than having one definitive way of choosing stuff that everyone who doesn't prefer it has to work around). Espionage does modern just fine though the classes are not going to be nearly so general (or numerous) as they were in 2.0, for lots of reasons - the main one being that general modern systems are a) much harder to sell, b) much harder to design for, and c) run counter to what most people want out of a game nowadays (a more specific, setting-inclusive experience). I'm sure you could run a modern investigative game just by dropping/depowering gadgets just fine.
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Aldus Vertten

• Handler
  • Los Otros Planes
    • View Profile
    • Guia del Freeky Galactico (Geek Guide to the Galaxy)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 02:26:10 AM »

I think you will have plenty of options to make the game your own still....many folded in rather than bolted on as extra rules (example: all basic gear systems will be based on GC preference, rather than having one definitive way of choosing stuff that everyone who doesn't prefer it has to work around). Espionage does modern just fine though the classes are not going to be nearly so general (or numerous) as they were in 2.0, for lots of reasons - the main one being that general modern systems are a) much harder to sell, b) much harder to design for, and c) run counter to what most people want out of a game nowadays (a more specific, setting-inclusive experience). I'm sure you could run a modern investigative game just by dropping/depowering gadgets just fine.

And probably once the system is out plenty of people around here will start tweaking and expanding it... License to improvise :D
"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 04:39:55 AM »
And probably once the system is out plenty of people around here will start tweaking and expanding it... License to improvise :D

No... that never happens ::).
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse

TheOpSecTreeFloof

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 10:39:36 AM »
Espionage does modern just fine though the classes are not going to be nearly so general (or numerous) as they were in 2.0, for lots of reasons

I'm okay with this.  (sigh of relief for everyone, I know. lol)  It's how I first got introduced to Crafty (then AEG) products.  We tried D20 Modern, and it was completely not what anyone was looking for.  (Gurps is gurps.  There is only 1 gurps.  No one will ever replicate gurps.)  Saw Spycraft in the store.  Picked it up.  Got instantly confused by the gear system, fought through that, got instantly baffled by the invention system, got through that and it's been a staple on our table since.  As long SC3 can handle Bond / Bourne / A-Team style stuff, we're good. 

Btw.  Spycraft 2.0 Core Book in full color?  Still the Prize Jewel on our game shelf.  That book is just simply pretty!

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »
Picked it up.  Got instantly confused by the gear system, fought through that, got instantly baffled by the invention system, got through that and it's been a staple on our table since. 

THAT, right there, is why we're doing what we're doing with gear. Simpler is better; options to treat gear the way that works for your table are best.

Btw.  Spycraft 2.0 Core Book in full color?  Still the Prize Jewel on our game shelf.  That book is just simply pretty!

It won't stand out or seem so special so much once you see Third Edition...  >:D

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games