Author Topic: [OPINIONS] Spook-y ability ideas?  (Read 4669 times)

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: [OPINIONS] Spook-y ability ideas?
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 02:48:02 PM »
Having done mostly play-by-messageboard games, 1/session and 1/adventure abilities have always been a thorn in my side for figuring out how to properly "refresh" it when we might be playing out a single scene on and off for weeks, thus utterly destroying the idea of a "session", and have one continuous flowing narrative instead of discrete "adventures". This'll make it much easier to handle class abilities in my play. Stuff like AD refresh was admittedly also kinda hassle-y but easier to handwave, is that also moving away from "per session"?

X/adventure would still work in that kind of format, yes? Such as "3 per adventure, no more than once per scene"?
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
Making some Cyberpunk and Sci-fi :)

Gatac

• Control
  • The power of Stark compels you!
    • View Profile
    • Robert's Place
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
*Nearly everything* will be going to the XX per scene/combat timing now, including AD refresh. We decided early on in the process that these were the two most discreet units of playtime we could count on in every type of game, so went down to those everywhere possible. AD now refresh even more often than once per scene...but that's another discussion.

As a PbP GM, if you like per-scene/combat timing, you're gonna really like the new initiative system...

I think this is an absolutely fantastic way of going about it and will make me (and my sub-par bookkeeping skills) very happy. Just when I thought I couldn't crave 3rd Ed's arrival any harder...

X/adventure would still work in that kind of format, yes? Such as "3 per adventure, no more than once per scene"?

Kinda? The big issue I have (other than the bookkeeping part) is making abilities Too Awesome To Use. If you have no idea what might be coming up down the line, you tend to hoard stuff. 3/adventure is definitely more generous and open to experimentation than 1/adventure, even if each use is not as powerful at that, but really the idea is making it feel like misusing the ability (as in, non-optimally, whether by deploying it at the wrong time or forgetting to use it at the right time) won't make the character hobbled throughout the game. 1/scene or 1/combat abilities, I'm more inclined to actually use and experiment with, and they're easier to remember and learn how to deploy optimally for it.

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 12:17:22 AM »
My one problem with per scene abilities is the very example you raised: their ability to be protracted from dynamic parcels of time to much more languid time scales. An ability that can be used multiple times in a week that then goes to a single use in a fortnight essentially "just because" bugs me. Just as FC has a CQ that allows real time to  be abstracted will SC3  break such abstractions to more real world quantities?