Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2014, 06:07:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  what brought you into spycraft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: what brought you into spycraft  (Read 5525 times)
Verbal
Recruit

V for Vanity

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:48:52 AM »

so, up for a bout of nostalgia?

what brought you guys into Spycraft (why the Spycraft game/books)

for me it was 3 things (talking about the classic version here)

1) both "Spy" and "Espionage" were mentionned on the cover Smiley and I love the genre...
2) the 6 base classes were great (although after the 60's book came out I switched the Snoop with the Wire... suited better in my opinion)
3) Artwork... specifically the cover art of both the Silver and Black lines were perfect

V for Vanity

@ the Mod's: I wasn't sure where to post this, feel free to move the post if you feel it's posted in the incorrect forum
Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:58:57 AM »

The Gama raid.
Then running two Shadow Force Archer campaigns
Then came 2.0 and its mighty crunchy goodness.

mostly it >wasn't< pre industrial age fantasy, the fact that the mechanics were well done made things great.

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Viperion
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 03:14:31 AM »

It caught me at a sweet spot between:

1) Getting sick of D&D
2) Looking for a modern day game better than d20 Modern
3) Bond. James Bond.

Smiley
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:19:26 AM »

Similarly, I was looking for something that wasn't D&D/fantasy and d20 modern was...let's be nice and go with "meh".

What ultimately sold me on it was the scenarios in the Gentleman's Agreement.  We played through that entire adventure arc.

I have the 60's book and I have been contemplating running that for quite some time, but I never got around to it.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:37:59 AM »

For me it was not what, but who.

About 10 years ago, or so, a friend mentioned to me that there was a new RPG coming out. It was based on the DnD ruleset, but was set in the modern day... and you got to play James Bond. That was enough for me.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:43:21 AM »

Saw 1st ed in a game store. Cover art was like 'oooh!', so i picked it up and leafed through. Interior art was just as good; read rules and decided there and then to buy it and try it out. Sat on the metro and read it on the way back into the city, and then on the bus journey home. Didn't put it down until i'd finished. Ran my first game the following weekend - the team met up in a local pub to sort out the Intel phase, then we went home to play.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 05:28:43 AM »

A friend of mine was running an SFA game. Never looked back.

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:40:30 AM »

I've always been an espionage junkie (think Mission Impossible & James Bond at once) so it was a no-brainer from the beginning, especially since I had Top Secret, Top Secret/S.I., the James Bond RPG, and Ninjas & Superspies. Combine that zeal with the beauty of Veronica Jones artwork and it was all over.

Then along came Living Spycraft and I made a beeline for it. I even ended up putting 2 missions for it when 2.0 hit. I became Pat's Arizona Henchman for LSpy and either played or ate every module/mission made for the campaign before running them all including Gentlemen's Agreement. One more year of the campaign and I might have made 20th Level as I was less than 2500xp from 17th.

The Crafty goodness continues with MasterCraft and the eventual release of Spellbound, 10KB, and SC3. All of which I am earmarking cash for once the release date is officially announced.

Living Spycraft Masterm
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:51:42 AM »

@ the Mod's: I wasn't sure where to post this, feel free to move the post if you feel it's posted in the incorrect forum

You're all good. Cool thread! Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »

I liked D&D and was playing it quite a bit at university.  I don't recall how Spycraft 1.0 crossed my radar.  I think the town's gaming store got a book.  I had been running Weird Wars, but Spycraft took the crunch cake.  (D20 Modern had some decent to good ideas, but less said about it overall, the better.)

Spycraft is CRUNCH WITH TASTIEST FLAVOR.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »

I found SG1 first, then got into Spycraft.  Friends and I were looking for something different and were all big Stargate fans, so it fit.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »

I was looking for a modern replacement for Top Secret as it started to feel a bit dated
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »

I was attending the GAMA trade show and everybody got a copy looming over their plate at the AEG/ACD/Reaper pizza party dinner. Read it on the flight home and fell in love. Started running a game a few weeks later (using my old Top Secret modules) and by the time that the SEH hit regular distribution, I had 10 preorders. I've never looked back - it it's Crafty, it's got a spot on the wall.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 09:32:24 PM »

My group was looking at giving a modern day espionage driven game a shot, and when I went into the local game store to look into d20 modern, he told me that there was a new game coming out in a month - the "Spycraft Espionage Handbook".  With the word Spycraft and Espionage in the title, it had to do what I.

We picked it up soon after release and my buddy started a military ops / espionage game that was fantastic fun - and we never looked back.  SC2.0 and FC was just a natural progression.  Never got to play in Shadowforce Archer though, even though I have all the books, which is a shame.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »

I didn't come along until 2.0 as I had gotten out of gaming for a few years.  (During those years, my wife wasn't yet into gaming and my kids were too young ... not to mention the lack of a gaming community outside of card games where we lived.)

I picked up the book on a lark as it had very minor water damage and was on a really good sale.  Shortly thereafter I was running a rather hilarious game for our group in Utah.  They managed to blow themselves into chunky bits of salsa - they forgot that a contained grenade explosion is not healthy.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: