Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 06:31:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Bird man. BIRD-MAN!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bird man. BIRD-MAN!!  (Read 684 times)
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »

Ok, I was talking to someone that had picked up Fantasy Craft at my insistence and he planned to update his AD&D 2nd Ed campaign to the system. Problem was, he needed Aarakocras as a character race. "No problem," I said, "that can be worked out in a jif." Oh, he needed Kenku too. "No, problem. That's a species feat." Well, he likes the Avens from Magic:tG... can owls and whatnot be added? "Sure. Ducks, too. Just in case a Runequest player wanders in." So... here it goes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FCrAZcFJJDd1M1d2Y3SnpSWGs/edit?usp=sharing

Print it, get out your red pens, and rip it up. Thanks.

**Now with racial craftsmanships and legendary avian master class**
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:54:42 PM by Big_Jim » Logged
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »

Just at first glance that's very nicely thought out and presented. I'll try to get the time to work it over with a skinning knife soon Smiley.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:52:56 PM »

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. Also, just remembered the "Access to a new skill pair BLAH (Skill A & Skill B)" part of the toolbox. Some of those species feats could use that, I'm sure.
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:45:39 AM »

Very nicely presented and appeals to my love of oddities. I remember playing an aarokocra way back in AD&D.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »

My Avian is named Garrus.
Just sayin'. Grin

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Dirigible
Agent

Terror to animal creation

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »

A (possible) strength penalty seems odd - a Medium-sized birdman would need massively strong muscles to fly, surely?

Why Achillies Heel (Blast)?

I love the raven and vulture splinter race feats. At last, I can play a skeksis! Hmmm-MMM-mmm!

Midnight to Fantasy Craft Conversion. Recent Addition: Skill-Based Magic.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:37:31 AM »

Hollow bones are more vulnerable to shockwaves?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 02:16:05 PM »

A (possible) strength penalty seems odd - a Medium-sized birdman would need massively strong muscles to fly, surely?

Bird muscle and bone structure is very specialized. Sure we've all heard that a swan can break your arm with a swipe of it's wing, but that's because it's wing is all about downward force. A child can pin the wings of almost any bird because the muscles for "raising" the wings are much weaker. You can see how this specialization would preclude a strength bonus, as the avian's body and muscles don't have an all around strength focus - but instead focus on flight. This is covered by the race's actual flight ability. It also makes the Quad vs. Hex argument even less important - I didn't want Hex gets "many hands when flying" and Quad gets "crunch!", for instance.

MilitiaJim gets it in one.

I love the raven and vulture splinter race feats. At last, I can play a skeksis! Hmmm-MMM-mmm!

Thanks!
Dirigible
Agent

Terror to animal creation

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »

Fair enough, good rationales.

Another option for representing the hollow bones might be special critical damage rules, like the undead and constructs get. Maybe move the Broken Limb result down the table to the 41-45 block, just after Battered Limb?

Midnight to Fantasy Craft Conversion. Recent Addition: Skill-Based Magic.
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 03:47:33 PM »

I thought about doing something like that. but I'd already had a certain level of K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid) hammered into me by peer review on the boards. If you can get the feel and flavor reasons across without specialized game mechanics, then that's the way to go. Keeping up with a lot of side rules slows the game down and ramps up the learning curve for newbie. the "Explosions flatten you like a Mack truck" and "Pechs can tackle you like linebacker" gets the idea across and uses existing mechanics (Achilles Heel and size modifiers) rather than "Special just-for-you chart!".
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »

PDF in first post updated with racial craftsmanships and master class.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: