Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 11:22:07 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Simulationist experiment - FC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Simulationist experiment - FC  (Read 5243 times)
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2012, 11:35:38 PM »

I posted that while on a quick break at work.  I'd have sworn it made more sense at the time.  Here goes the second try:

To me Simulationist game play
  • does NOT try to emulate reality (as that would be difficult to impossible for most systems)
  • focuses on creating an internally consistent world
  • focuses on allowing a more immersive experience for the PLAYER
  • allows the CHARACTER acts according to his beliefs and expectations (which the PLAYER has thought through and/or experiences)
  • pushes narrative concerns to the background - but that doesn't mean they aren't present

Hopefully that explains what I mean by Simulationist.

That's actually coming across as far more of a narrativist manifesto.

Being a simulationist means your primary goal is trying to capture and recreate a specific thing or vibe or reality I guess.

Doesn't sound at all Narrativist to me. If you add 'emulation of reality or specific genre' to 'focuses on creating and internally consistent world' then he is bang on for simulationist.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: