Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2014, 11:10:11 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Flying rules
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flying rules  (Read 1473 times)
Mythrain
Recruit

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:11:17 PM »

Could someone direct Me to the flying rules? I can not find any. I wish to know about combat while flying, strafing/attacking ground targets, stall speed etc.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:23:32 PM »

From the description of Flyer on page 227

The NPC flies using wings or other means (e.g. levitation). While in the air, he makes Maneuver checks with the Acrobatics skill (see pages 69 and 80).

While a winged NPC is in the air, hes considered 1 Size larger for Defense, as well as Blend and Sneak checks. His error ranges with attacks and Spellcasting checks also increase by 2 (or 4 while he hovers).

What else do you need?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mythrain
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »

Does one need to move every round or risk stalling? Can you move to a ground target and attack without landing?
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »

Characters with wingec flight need to fly or hover. Those with just flight just levitate, hover, whatever.

Why wouldn't you? Although note that normal movement rules regarding adjacency apply.

I might or might not call for a Acrobatics check. Dependw on the situation and my mood.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:10:10 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mythrain
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:53:44 AM »

Really appreciate the answers. I am hoping to play a Drake and need to understand flight better.

Does take off/landing take a seperate action? From what I understand, a Drake could take off to a height of 10' and then move 30' forward as a move action. Ending 30' from starting point and 10', still in range of bite
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 12:40:10 PM »

That's correct. Our flight rules are more cinematic than simulationist - we wanted to make playing a flier as easy and intuitive as possible.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »

My only limit is I only allow one movement type per Move Action.

Also, your example could be 40 of move, or 35 of move. Handy formula for finding distance with the diagonal abstraction is to count the squares moved in both x and y, then add half the smaller to the larger. Same when adding z (altitude or depth) but you want to do the movement in the plae, then add half of the smaller of that and the altitude to the other.

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »

What about change of direction?
Khaalis
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 01:24:09 AM »

What do you mean? Something like Maneuverability Classes?  If so, as far as I can tell, there is no such thing in FC unless I missed something. I believe that was done on purpose, as Alex pointed out, to be more cinematic.

On a different note, I would see natural flyers being just as able to make course corrections as a human changing direction while walking. Its intuitive. If you really wanted to be more simulationist about it, you could either:
* Involve a DEX check to make 90-degree course changes at speeds above base.
* Use a Flying skill like Pathfinder does.

Just a few quick thoughts off the top of my head on it. Personally, I use the DEX check for extreme cases. Otherwise I don't really worry about it.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:09:33 AM »

I thought crazy flying manuevers are an Acrobatics check?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »

What do you mean? Something like Maneuverability Classes? 

Let me set an example and maybe folks can help talk me through it:

A party of PCs are roped together climbing a mountain when they disrupt a nest of Wyverns (Spd 60 ft. winged flight, Charging basics). Roped together and climbing, the PCs aren't going to be moving a whole heck of a lot side to side.

So the Wyverns use their Charging basics to fly past the climbing PCs, making a Free attack somewhere in the middle of their movement.
Can they do this every round (essentially making a full 180 turn then a Run action), would that kind of turn require a maneuver roll to make quickly or can it be done without a roll, or does it require some kind of action to do the full turn, then setup for another Run/charge?

Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »

On a different note, I would see natural flyers being just as able to make course corrections as a human changing direction while walking. Its intuitive. If you really wanted to be more simulationist about it, you could either:
* Involve a DEX check to make 90-degree course changes at speeds above base.
* Use a Flying skill like Pathfinder does.

Just a few quick thoughts off the top of my head on it. Personally, I use the DEX check for extreme cases. Otherwise I don't really worry about it.

As MilitiaJim said, it's Acrobatics. There are no straight Attribute checks for stuff in the Master Craft system - it's a skill based system in that regard.

A party of PCs are roped together climbing a mountain when they disrupt a nest of Wyverns (Spd 60 ft. winged flight, Charging basics). Roped together and climbing, the PCs aren't going to be moving a whole heck of a lot side to side.

So the Wyverns use their Charging basics to fly past the climbing PCs, making a Free attack somewhere in the middle of their movement.
Can they do this every round (essentially making a full 180 turn then a Run action), would that kind of turn require a maneuver roll to make quickly or can it be done without a roll, or does it require some kind of action to do the full turn, then setup for another Run/charge?

To do that, the wyverns need Mobility Basics. Without that feat, they only get the move-by attack every two rounds. In fact, Mobility Basics is a great catchall for a truly maneuverable flyer.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:16:34 PM by Big_Jim » Logged
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 02:14:24 PM »

To do that, the wyverns need Mobility Basics. Without that feat, they only get the move-by attack every two rounds. In fact, Mobility Basics is a great catchall for a truly maneuverable flyer.

To make sure I understand correctly -- the direction the flyer is facing at the end of their Run action matters respective to their next action (also a Run)?

Good point regarding Mobility Basics
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »

There is no rule stopping you from running back the exact opposite direction you ran in during the previous round. The only limitations on the base action are that you have to move in a straight line (negated by Mobility Basics), can't ordinarily attack as it's a full action (negated by the Charge tree -- Basics if you want to be kind, Mastery if you're a heartless bastard), and you're rendered flatfooted once the action is complete until your next round (provided you aren't successfully attacked beforehand).

The mandatory flatfootedness is easily described as the point where the wyvern wheels around on ther wingtip between one strafe and the next.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 02:56:19 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »

There is no rule stopping you from running back the exact opposite direction you ran in during the previous round. The only limitations on the base action are that you have to move in a straight line (negated by Mobility Basics), can't ordinarily attack as it's a full action (negated by the Charge tree -- Basics if you want to be kind, Mastery if you're a heartless bastard), and you're rendered flatfooted once the action is complete until your next round (provided you aren't successfully attacked beforehand).

The mandatory flatfootedness is easily described as the point where the wyvern wheels around on ther wingtip between one strafe and the next.

MA - based on that, sounds like the strafing run could then happen every round, and PCs stuck on the climb would either get ranged attacks vs the beastie's end of movement position (let's say 120' on either side for simplicity sake) OR could ready actions to attack when the beast comes close.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: